• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Frogs n' Toads

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Ok, then...

Flash (Ex): Once every x (1d4?) rounds, a ghoul frog can emit a blinding flash of light. Any creature within 30ft? must make a DC X Fortitude save or be blinded for 1d4 rounds. Ghoul frogs are immune to the flash of other ghoul frogs.

For abilities, maybe:
Str 12-13 Con 18-19 Dex ? Int 1-2 Wis 10-11 Cha 10-11

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
Ok, then...

Flash (Ex): Once every x (1d4?) rounds, a ghoul frog can emit a blinding flash of light. Any creature within 30ft? must make a DC X Fortitude save or be blinded for 1d4 rounds. Ghoul frogs are immune to the flash of other ghoul frogs.

Once every 1d4 rounds seems good. 30 feet is probably appropriate. Save DC is Con-based?

freyar said:
For abilities, maybe:
Str 12-13 Con 18-19 Dex ? Int 1-2 Wis 10-11 Cha 10-11

Here's what I found upthread:

Frog, Killer (M)[Dun #126]: Str 16, Dex 12, Con 18, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 10
Frog, Medium Monstrous (M)[Dun #82]: Str 11, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 1, Wis 14, Cha 4

That gives a range of Str 11-16, Dex 12-14, Con 12-18, Int 1, Wis 10-14, Cha 4-10.

Mortis

First Post
Shade said:
Once every 1d4 rounds seems good. 30 feet is probably appropriate. Save DC is Con-based?
IMO 1d4 seems a little quick (considering a turn was 10 minutes) how about 1d10 rounds?

Here's what I found upthread:

Frog, Killer (M)[Dun #126]: Str 16, Dex 12, Con 18, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 10
Frog, Medium Monstrous (M)[Dun #82]: Str 11, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 1, Wis 14, Cha 4

That gives a range of Str 11-16, Dex 12-14, Con 12-18, Int 1, Wis 10-14, Cha 4-10.
I would suggest:-

Str 14, Con 16, Dex 13, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 7

Regards
Mortis

freyar

Mortis said:
IMO 1d4 seems a little quick (considering a turn was 10 minutes) how about 1d10 rounds?

Never can remember how long a turn is. Sure, d10 rounds sounds ok.

Looks reasonable.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Mortis said:

Good idea.

Mortis said:

I failed to note that these fellas are Small, while the range was based off Medium frogs.

Downsizing from Medium to Small results in -4 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con.

So how about Str 10, Con 16, Dex 15, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 7? I didn't reduce the Con score since it's Hit Dice was originally 1+4, implying bonus hit points.

Added to Homebrews.

Another thought just occurred to me: since frogs are amphibious, should we give them the aquatic subtype and the amphibious trait?

Amphibious (Ex): Alhtough a frog possesses the aquatic subtype, it can survive perpetually on land.

freyar

That all sounds good from my seat, Shade. Glad to see you're back from the Blood War demon-devil flame wars. ;)

BTW, I think I found a monster with the elusive pre-swallow-whole ability, though it's called "swallow whole" in the book. The Mulivorn (or is it Muvilorn -- the elephant sized dog from MM3) swallows creatures whole, but it actually just holds them in its (acid-filled) mouth.

Shade

Monster Junkie
freyar said:
That all sounds good from my seat, Shade. Glad to see you're back from the Blood War demon-devil flame wars. ;)

I'm merely gathering more of my demonic troops before re-entering the fray. :]

freyar said:
BTW, I think I found a monster with the elusive pre-swallow-whole ability, though it's called "swallow whole" in the book. The Mulivorn (or is it Muvilorn -- the elephant sized dog from MM3) swallows creatures whole, but it actually just holds them in its (acid-filled) mouth.

Yes! That's the one!

Improved Grab (Ex): In order to swallow an opponent without charging, a mivilorn must hit a Large or smaller opponent with its bite attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can try to swallow the foe the following round.

Swallow Whole (Ex): A swallowed creature automatically takes 6d4 points of bite damage every round in addition to the maximum damage from the mivilorn's acid attack (8 points). A mivilorn spews out any creature or creatures that succeed in dealing a total of 40 points of damage to its mouth (which has damage reduction 15/bludgeoning and an AC of 16). Trapped creatures may only use light melee weapons.

After 3 rounds of chewing an opponent, a mivilorn spits it out to see if it is dead. If it's still alive, the mivilorn attempts to grapple and swallow the creature a second time.

freyar

GrayLinnorm said:
Saw the Homebrews; this one should be a magical beast.

Why's that? There are all kinds of luminescent animals. Or do you think animal should be reserved for RL animals? Not that it's a big deal, just curious. ;)

Remove ads