• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

2007 ENnies Nominees - announced!

Falstaff

First Post
Is there a Qin site that's in English? How do you judges read that site or rpg if you don't speak, what....is that Japanese?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
eric mcloins said:
Ok, this just doesn't make any sense.
Ptolus is only HM for d20/OGL, while accordlands is nominated surely means that the judges think that accordlands is better.
However, Ptolus is nominated for best product while accordlands is not, surely means the opposite?

Anyone cares to explain?

I'm not a judge, and only they can explain their choices. However, each of the other catgories looks at something specific about a product. Product of the Year is a reflection of how products fare in all catagories, as well as some other factors which may not be covered by previous categories.

So a product doesn't have to be the best in every category to be a nominee for Product of the Year - but it needs to do consistently well overall in a variety of ways.

But the judges themselves are the only ones who really know what influenced their decisions.

eric mcloins said:
Ok, this just doesn't make any sense.
Ptolus is only HM for d20/OGL, while accordlands is nominated surely means that the judges think that accordlands is better.
However, Ptolus is nominated for best product while accordlands is not, surely means the opposite?

Anyone cares to explain?
I can only speak for myself and what I feel was the general mood of the discussions, but basically it comes down to the fact that the two categories weigh certain things differently.

In this case you have two entries that the judges are fairly closely matched on. Either one could go either way. Accordlands felt a little better as an actual game, but it simply couldn't compete with Ptolus in a lot of the production categories.

Both made Best Setting, both made Best Cartography. Accordlands had a slight advantage in games, but then Ptolus blew almost everything else away with sheer value. The beautiful book, coupled with the CD and other extras was enough to more than make up for a slight deficit in the actual playability of the game.

There's not always a huge gap between the HMs and the products that actually made it. For the most part we ended up with six or seven products that should be on the list, and then had to take one off. Those went to HM.

In some cases it was simply too hard to even narrow it down then. I'll point to Best game, which actually has two HMs. And of course Product of the Year, whose HMs haven't even been posted yet.

Anywho, does that help at all?

Paradigm

First Post
Master of the Game said:
Thanks a lot. I don't know what exactly I was expecting, but I'm happily surprised by the number of positive comments. I figured at least someone would have an objection to something.

Thanks for giving our choices a chance.

There are certain categories that I was optimistic that Tales of the Caliphate Nights would garner a nomination for, but there are no products in those categories where I could definitively say, "Tales should be there instead."

All in all, last year looks like a good year for all this stuff.

fusangite

First Post
eric mcloins said:

Anyone cares to explain?
As the resident voting systems expert, I think that some of this can be attributed to the different list length for the categories. For instance, when we ran the judge elections, had we been electing seven judges, Xath would have placed second but because we were electing five, she placed sixth. List length variation can explain a lot of quirky outcomes.

haiiro

First Post
I'm honored to be nominated, and in such excellent company.

My thanks to the judges for their hard work (reading Master's blog, it's clear just how much work that was!), and congratulations to all of the nominees!

fusangite

First Post
haiiro said:
I'm honored to be nominated, and in such excellent company.

My thanks to the judges for their hard work (reading Master's blog, it's clear just how much work that was!), and congratulations to all of the nominees!
I'm currently in the Salt Lake area if you want to celebrate with a judge before Gen Con.

Mokona

First Post
Dextra said:
We are pleased to announce the nominations for the 2007 Gen Con EN World RPG Awards ("The ENnies"), the world's premiere RPG awards program.
The ENnies lose all credibility when no Dungeons & Dragons products by Wizards of the Coast are involved. The InQuest Gamer magazine has a decent solution to the problem of a dominant game dominating the awards. InQuest has a category for Best Magic Expansion so that Magic: the Gathering expansions don't win the Best Trading Card Game category every single year. The ENnies should try something similar.

Remove ads