4E - Stranded [IC]

Rayex

First Post
Those of you who wanted to attack the vine, quickly realize there isnt really anything to attack. It is nothing but a yard or so length of vine, wrapped around her neck, probably to attack the leather satchel on.

The Captains voice sounds harsh through the commotion, and those who looks her way can see that she is visibly shaken. "Phlegm, Clubber... gather everyone down at the beach. I want everyone in sight for the time being, and I want to know who are missing. I cannot seem to locate neither Stabber nor Lionilo.. there might be more missing."

She then turns towards the ones who had done more than just look at it in horror - those who seemed to want to help the dead woman, one way or the other. Her eyes scan the small crowd that is left with her.

"We are not alone here, it is now obvious. We will need people who can keep their heads cold in times like this, and who can protect the rest, should the need arise." The captain seems to work hard at keeping herself composed, and you can see it almost crumble when she glances over at the woman on the tree. "We should get her down... Maybe we can find some clues to as what has happened."

As you move closer to the woman, you see something you hadn't noticed before, at the base of the tree there are two stone slabs. They're about 1x1 feet big, and each hold a single keyhole in the centre. The left stone is gray-blue'ish in color, and over the keyhole is a symbol: A circle with three wavy diagonal lines.
The right stone is dark gray with red shimmers on the surface. Over the keyhole there is another symbol: A circle with 3 wavy lines, looking like a "V" with an additional line coming up in the middle.

[sblock=symbols]
[sblock=Arcana=25]
You recongnize the symbols as ancient symbols for Water and Fire, respectively[/sblock]
[sblock=Religion=30]
You recongnize the symbols as ancient symbols for Water and Fire, respectively[/sblock]
[sblock=History=20]
[/sblock]

[sblock=Everyone]
Hehe, I had really not thought about you guys running to attack a vine - but I guess I should have anticipated that, really. However, atleast untill I've split the party, there won't be any combat. I really can't like the idea of running a combat with 10+ PCs.
The split will come pretty soon though![/sblock]

[sblock=Alternative]
Scanning the crowd quickly before it driftes down back to the beach, you can locate 4 of the 6 members of the Troupe, all of whom seems to be as shaken as the rest. The ones who were able to keep it together more than the others were the crew of the Swan and the group now gathered with the Captain.[/sblock]

Kaodi

Hero
[sblock=OOC]
Arcana: 1d20+8=27, Religion: 1d20+8=16, History: 1d20+3=17
[/sblock]

Fodor examines the symbols for a few moments, thinking back to when and where he might have seen them before. He remembers one of the texts that an old mentor of his had kept, a treatise on the Elemental Chaos. Yes, now he remembered.

" These symbols, " says Fodor, pointing to the stone slabs, " Water, and Fire. But as to what else they are supposed to signify, who knows. "

Falkus

Explorer
"Probably a ritual killing of some sort, aye," Durvin mused. "A sacrifice to a dark god, for vast power. Or it could be just a warning."

He walked up to the Captain. "I'm nae good at this, better in a fight, but the others'll be lookin' up to you for support and leadership, since you're the captain, aye. Be strong, for their sake, aye. Dinnae worry, I'm a paladin of Moradin. We'll find the one what done this, and make sure that he harms no others."

[sblock]Diplomacy: 18[/sblock]

Bialaska

First Post
[SBLOCK=OOC]Not really planning on going into any real combat, just doing it in an effort to get the woman free from the vine without going close enough to get snatched myself.

And the rolls:
Rolls for Tara - Arcana, Religion, History (1d20 7=13, 1d20 7=14, 1d20 7=12)[/SBLOCK]

"Symbols? Oh! Those symbols... They are familiar, and yet not..." Tara mutters, shaking her head in the hope to remove the cobwebs that are obviously clouding her thoughts, probably due to the sudden awakening.

"But yes, let's get her down. Don't get too close to the tree though, it is obviously dangerous." the human girl then states, before she unleashes another blast of eldritch energy at the vine, in the hope that she'll be able to sever it, thereby releasing the hostage.

Zweischneid

First Post
Mordras shrugs, unable to place the symbols. "These mean nothing to me."

Cringing as Tara unleashes yet another blast, he remarks.
"I do however doubt that a strangling vine would see the need to nail a women with spikes or bind a bloodsoaked talisman around her neck. Would you mind to stop raging arcane fires against this tree? We might dare to approach and take down this poor women."

Mordras blue-and-silver eyes keep shifting nervously, searching further inside the trees for ... something.

[sblock=Knowledge]
Arcana, Religion and History (all untrained, Arcana/History with racial bonus) (1d20+3=13, 1d20+1=2, 1d20+3=13)

Perception check (1d20+5=17) to stay on the lookout
[/sblock]

pathfinderq1

First Post
At the captain's suggestion, O-Haril stepped forward to try to get the corpse down. The sooner the poor victim had been removed from this terrible pose, the sooner they could begin to formulate a more coherent plan- as long as she was still so cruelly displayed, it was difficult to think of anything else.

OOC: Attempting to remove the victim from the vine/tree and associated spikes. Some help might be appreciated- even so it will likely be a messy process without tools.

nonamazing

Explorer
Once she finishes vomiting, she asks the nearest person, "What the hell is that?"

Cyrial looks over at Szel with a wary expression of concern. "Are you alright? Damn, I wish we had some water. People are going to start getting very dehydrated very quickly out here."

After making sure Szel is going to be okay, Cyrial attempts to answer her question. "I'm afraid we don't really know for sure," he sighs. "Something...happened to the ship. We've just been waking up, with no clear understanding of how we got here, trying to get our bearings. Then this appeared."

"And according to the captain's men, it literally 'appeared', as from out of thin air. Which means we're dealing with magic--which I suppose is probably obvious--and evil magic at that. Which is probably also not too hard to figure out."

As O-Haril begins to work at getting the corpse down, Cyrial rushes forward to help. "You're a bold one, minotaur. Or perhaps I'm just too cowardly." Cyrial shakes his head ruefully. "I thought sure there was a trap here. Thank you for taking a risk and proving me wrong."

As Cyrial lets the girl down, his hands shake and his eyes water. How could I have been so naive as to think everything would be alright? This is all my fault...how many more will die because of me?

[SBLOCK=OOC: Anyone who watches Cyrial]Insight DC to notice Cyrial's uncomfortable feelings of guilt: 11 (based on Cyrial's passive Bluff)[/SBLOCK]

Graf

Explorer
[sblock=No rolls]Alternative would make them at -1... so no chance.[/sblock]

[sblock=Rayex]
So who are we missing?
[sblock=The List]The Traveling Troupe
Lute Player, Elf.
Harp Player, Halfling.
Drummer, Elf
Poet, Thiefling.
Singer, Dragonborn.
Dancer, Human.[/sblock][/sblock]

[sblock=Observing Cyrial]Insight 19 vs 11.

That one hangs back, then leaps forward too quickly. Self-conciously hiding a sense of responsibilty. The warforged makes a note to itself to investigate further.[/sblock]

Alternative stands impassively nearby; unconciously it has placed itself apart from the group.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Those of you who wanted to attack the vine, quickly realize there isnt really anything to attack. It is nothing but a yard or so length of vine, wrapped around her neck, probably to attack the leather satchel on.

[sblock=sound of me slapping head]
D'oh!
[/sblock]

Wittgenstein watches his rock arc up, hit the vine and fall ineffectually to the ground. Good rock, he thinks to himself.

As he recognizes that the danger was misperceived, he picks up his rock, and he goes to calm the Elven woman. He approaches her slowly, aware that she might find his presence distasteful, but realizing that she will need some support.

As he draws close, he can smell her -- the hair of elves is so distinctive, so enchanting, so... -- but this is not the thought he speaks.
"It'll be alright, lady. I'm here, and I will help you. I don't know where we are, or how we got here, and it seems many people have died, but there's still a lot of us, and I think we'll be fine."

Does Wittgenstein believe any of this? Hard to tell. Still, he wants to sound sincere. He is a lizard of action, not of words.

"Look. Over, there, some of the tall ones are taking down the body now. You've helped... You helped find that poor woman."

He offers her a claw. "It'll be fine."

Next:
Now if she takes his hand (claw), that'll be great, in Wittgenstein's mind. He'll happily comfort the distressed elf quietly. If she doesn't, though, he will accept it with understanding, despite her screams, and begin to organize:
"Everyone! Everyone, over here. How many of us are there? How many are injured? Who can heal them... How many of us can fight? We should arm ourselves. My weapons are gone -- does anyone have possessions?" He sees the Captain. "Here is ourt Captain! all will be well. Anybody know where we are?"

The way he speaks is confident and methodical. He is trying to be helpful. He is also probably trying to look cool for the Elf.

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
Fodor continues to observe the two stones idly while he gathers his thoughts.

" Thankfully, there are a few among us that do not require earthly devices to make use of our skills, " he says to Wittgenstein.

Remove ads