D&D 5E 5e Ready Action - Ready action on your turn so that you can act later in the round using your reaction.

Given that the player is using up their action to potentially do nothing and then a reaction, and then the caster can make a con save to continue casting, id allow it. But then, i like to encourage creative strategies to a point where others might be uncomfortable.

And, if the players use it, then its fair game against them too!

neogod22

Explorer
The PHB says "When you take a reaction, you cant take another one until the start of your next turn"

In 5e "turn is NOT" equal to round.

So on round 3, on init 25 Sauron throws a magic missle spell at Chewbacca.

On that moment Chewbacca casts shield as a reaction on round 3 init w5,

Then when its Chewbacca turn on round e init 22, Chewbacca amazingly, awesomly and without consulting the rulebook at all reaches "the start of his nect turn."

After Chewbacca spends his turn on a "hairball" issue we choose not to delve into, later in round 3 on init 16 Chewing his bacca sees his close and person friend, Abe Lincoln of Vulcan, fall off the soapbox he was stsndong on and uses a reaction to casr feather fall.

And so, not only is Abe Lincoln saved but Chewing used two reactions on the same ROUND.

There are other cases of course, i think it can get to 3, maybe more, if an ability gives you a new TURN like say rogue thief 17 Reflex thingy.

What padt of the PHB that specifies round are you citing? I ask cuz i dont see it under REACTION or OA listing but since you said it was from the PHB i am certain it must be there, right?
You're speaking semantics. You may be able to get 2 in a round once before your turn and once after, but you can't get 2 in every round.

neogod22

Explorer
Given that the player is using up their action to potentially do nothing and then a reaction, and then the caster can make a con save to continue casting, id allow it. But then, i like to encourage creative strategies to a point where others might be uncomfortable.

And, if the players use it, then its fair game against them too!
So on your game, every spell has an extremely long casting time?

Athinar

Explorer
You are right, if you have not taken the reaction before your turn, the Reaction is refreshed at the start of your next turn
The PHB says "When you take a reaction, you cant take another one until the start of your next turn"

same thing you said

Chewy cast Shield "Reaction" Spell before his turn and then cast Feather Fall "Reaction" after it is refreshed

Athinar

Explorer
No my game has the normal casting time per the book, by old school me believes you should be able to stop a spell caster from casting a spell using the Ready Action "Reaction" 1 attack per the rules using the counterspell as the example of the "Reaction" stopping the caster from casting

neogod22

Explorer
No my game has the normal casting time per the book, by old school me believes you should be able to stop a spell caster from casting a spell using the Ready Action "Reaction" 1 attack per the rules using the counterspell as the example of the "Reaction" stopping the caster from casting
Read the component to counterspell. You're telling me someone with a bow or sword can act with the same speed when not knowing if and when a spell is going to be cast?

Athinar

Explorer
The sword was not in the equation, but a bow with an arrow readied in the "Ready Action"

both the Counterspell Reaction and the Ready Action Reaction you don't know the spell caster is going to cast

Athinar

Explorer
I thought also that a spell caster might fake a spell casting with hand gestures and some words that sound magical just to throw off the fighter/paladin/etc.. (Ready Action Reaction attack cause the warrior to lose the multiple attacks)

also the spell caster could cast Shield as a reaction to hinder the attack

Remove ads