• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

9th Circle Heist:: Abyssal D&D (closed! See OOC thread)

Einan

First Post
I'd like to be considered as a PC. Would a fiendish Pseudodragon Rogue 8 work? I'll have the stats worked up and on by Tuesday morning.

Einan

Bobitron

Explorer
I'm not joining this game, 'cause I'm short on time. But if I was to...

The opportunity for playing a ghostly incarnation of perhaps the greatest theif the world has seen just boggles my mind. Walk through walls? Check. Take over host bodies to get past security? Check. Use Telekinesis to set off traps and such? Check. Go ethereal when the bad guys (erm... good guys?) start to chase you? Check. Add those sort of abilities on top of a 10th level rogue's incredible skills and you have an incredible infiltrator, the ultimate spy, and a master burgular all in one.

Damn it. Maybe I'll make up a character if I some time tomorrow. What's the posting rate expected to be on a game like this? I don't think I would have time for more than one every couple days.

Even if I don't get in (with so many applicants, I would certainly understand), this is a great concept for a game, Peter. Kudos.

IcyCool

First Post
Peter, I'd like to do either a Necropolitan Sorcerer, or a Half-Fiend Cleric. Let me know which is acceptable or preferrable, and I'll get a character worked up right away.

Bobitron

Explorer
Here's my build. Let me know if I am accepted, and I'll wrap up the rest of the needed information. Bed now. Sleepy.

Erris Ashburne

Former 10th level Rogue, deceased

BattleChasers007IIsmall.jpg

Background: Born 55 years ago in the small kingdom of Gylfarn in the small town of Thorn’s Glen, Erris fled the rural life for a shot at success in Capital City. She quickly fell in with the worst of crowds. Although the city was a bastion of law and order in the troubled world, she still found a home in the thriving underground as a burgular and thief. She quickly gained a reputation as being the person to get for your job, and traveled all over Creation working for the highest bidder. Eventually she reached a point where she was bigger than the guild she was part of and decided to go off on her own.

That was mistake number one. Fineas Tolbert, master crime lord and head of the guild, protected what he considered his investment the best way he could. Erris died in her sleep after succumbing to a rare toxin, and a deal with the demon lord _______ insured that her life would not end when her heart stopped beating. Tolbert held sway over the one thing that kept her soul from transcending; her last acquisition; an object of art stolen from the headquarters of the Joint Leaders of the Civil Territories, widely regarded to be the most closely guarded building in the known world. If the small statue was destroyed, she would be able to leave to whatever afterlife awaited. Tolbert promised to free her after 10 years of service.

She worked for Tolbert for thirty long years, but never made it easy. He grew weary of her only recently and gave the statue to the Demon Lord who partnered with him in making Erris what she now is. No such promise has been made by __________ regarding the terms of her service, and she has settled in for a very long existence as a ghost, damned to commit the crimes she did in life for all eternity. She has now served ______ for five years, and been a key element in his plans; spying on rivals, infiltrating forbidden regions, and stealing whatever his black heart desires.

About this character: Erris takes a wicked pride in her accomplishments, even in death. The rush of adrenaline and the warm feeling she gets in her cold, dead chest when she steals at _________’s command is the only thing that brings her pleasure in her unlife. She has a barbed tongue and is quick to lash out at _________’s other servants, but realizes that she is only one part of the puzzle and works well with others. Erris prefers to be led rather than lead and quickly becomes apathetic if not busy. Luckily, ________ has kept her very busy as of late…

Height: 5’ 3”
Weight: Incorporeal
Hair: Blond, short cropped
Eyes: Lt Brown, almost golden
Class: Rogue
Level: 10
Experience:
Alignment: CN

Statistics:

STR: 10
DEX: 25 (19 base +6 Gloves, +1 taken at 4th level)
CON: None (undead)
INT: 12
WIS: 12
CHA: 20 (+4 Racial, +1 taken at 8th level)

Stats Roll: http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?a=show&id=156013

Hit Points: 35 (6+29, rolls at http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=156014)

Saving Throws:
Fortitude: +3 (base +3, CON +0)
Reflex: +14 (base +7, DEX +7)
Will: +4 (base +3, WIS +1)

Speed: 30 (ground), 30 (Fly, perfect maneuverability)

Armor Class: 26 (Base 10, +7 Dex, +4 Cha when manifested, +5 Bracers)

Base Attack Bonus: +7/+2

Weapons/attacks:
+17 (+7 Bab, +7 Dex, +3 magic) Dagger 1d4 damage w/ 5d6 backstab

Skills:

Balance* +13 (5 ranks, +7 Dex, +1 Luckstone)
Bluff* +11 (5 ranks, +5 Cha, +1 Luckstone)
Climb* +16 (5 ranks, +10 ring, +1 Luckstone)
Concentration +1 (+1 Luckstone)
Decipher Script* +2 (+1 Int, +1 Luckstone)
Diplomacy* +6 (+5 Cha, +1 Luckstone)
Disable Device* +15 (13 ranks, +1 Int, +1 Luckstone)
Disguise* +6 (+5 Cha, +1 Luckstone)
Escape Artist* +14 (6 ranks, +7 Dex, +1 Luckstone)
Forgery* +2 (+1 Int, +1 Luckstone)
Gather Information* +8 (2 ranks, +5 Cha, +1 Luckstone)
Heal +1 (+1 Luckstone)
Hide* +28 (10 ranks, +7 Dex, +8 racial, +2 Stealthy feat, +1 Luckstone)
Intimidate* +6 (+5 Cha, +1 Luckstone)
Jump* +1 (+1 Luckstone)
Knowledge (local)* +6 (4 ranks, +1 Int, +1 Luckstone)
Listen* +17 (8 ranks, +8 racial, +1 Luckstone)
Move Silently* +20 (10 ranks, +7 Dex, +2 Stealthy feat, +1 Luckstone)
Open Lock* +20 (12 ranks, +7 Dex, +1 Luckstone)
Perform* +6 (+5 Cha, +1 Luckstone)
Ride +8 (+7 Dex, +1 Luckstone)
Search* +20 (10 ranks, +1 Int, +8 racial, +1 Luckstone)
Sense Motive* +1 (+1 Luckstone)
Sleight of Hand* +13 (5 ranks, +7 Dex, +1 Luckstone)
Spot* +20 (11 ranks, +8 racial, +1 Luckstone)
Survival +1 (+1 Luckstone)
Swim* +1 (+1 Luckstone)
Tumble* +20 (12 ranks, +7 Dex, +1 Luckstone)
Use Magical Device* +16 (10 ranks, +5 Cha, +1 Luckstone)
Use Rope* +11 (3 ranks, +7 Dex, +1 Luckstone)

Feats:
Quick Draw (starting feat, draw a weapon as a free action instead of as a move action)
Improved Initiative (starting feat, +4 bonus on initiative checks)
Flick of the Wrist (3rd level feat, can draw a weapon and make an attack with a single motion, catching opponents flat-footed. May only be used once a round and once per opponent per single combat encounter)
Stealthy (6th level feat,+2 bonus on all Hide and Move Silently checks)
Fly-by Attack (9th level feat, use Fly move both before and after a melee attack)

Racial Features:

Draining Touch (Su)
A ghost that hits a living target with its incorporeal touch attack drains 1d4 points from any one ability score it selects. On each such successful attack, the ghost heals 5 points of damage to itself. Against ethereal opponents, it adds its Strength modifier to attack rolls only. Against nonethereal opponents, it adds its Dexterity modifier to attack rolls only.

Malevolence (Su)
Once per round, an ethereal ghost can merge its body with a creature on the Material Plane. This ability is similar to a magic jar spell (caster level 10th or the ghost’s Hit Dice, whichever is higher), except that it does not require a receptacle. To use this ability, the ghost must be manifested and it must try move into the target’s space; moving into the target’s space to use the malevolence ability does not provoke attacks of opportunity. The target can resist the attack with a successful Will save (DC 15 + ghost’s Cha modifier). A creature that successfully saves is immune to that same ghost’s malevolence for 24 hours, and the ghost cannot enter the target’s space. If the save fails, the ghost vanishes into the target’s body.

Manifestation (Su)
Every ghost has this ability. A ghost dwells on the Ethereal Plane and, as an ethereal creature, it cannot affect or be affected by anything in the material world. When a ghost manifests, it partly enters the Material Plane and becomes visible but incorporeal on the Material Plane. A manifested ghost can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons, or spells, with a 50% chance to ignore any damage from a corporeal source. A manifested ghost can pass through solid objects at will, and its own attacks pass through armor. A manifested ghost always moves silently. A manifested ghost can strike with its touch attack or with a ghost touch weapon (see Ghostly Equipment, below). A manifested ghost remains partially on the Ethereal Plane, where is it not incorporeal. A manifested ghost can be attacked by opponents on either the Material Plane or the Ethereal Plane. The ghost’s incorporeality helps protect it from foes on the Material Plane, but not from foes on the Ethereal Plane.

When a spellcasting ghost is not manifested and is on the Ethereal Plane, its spells cannot affect targets on the Material Plane, but they work normally against ethereal targets. When a spellcasting ghost manifests, its spells continue to affect ethereal targets and can affect targets on the Material Plane normally unless the spells rely on touch. A manifested ghost’s touch spells don’t work on nonethereal targets.

A ghost has two home planes, the Material Plane and the Ethereal Plane. It is not considered extraplanar when on either of these planes.

Telekinesis (Su)
A ghost can use telekinesis as a standard action (caster level 12th or equal to the ghost’s HD, whichever is higher). When a ghost uses this power, it must wait 1d4 rounds before using it again.

Rejuvenation (Su)
In most cases, it’s difficult to destroy a ghost through simple combat: The "destroyed" spirit will often restore itself in 2d4 days. Even the most powerful spells are usually only temporary solutions. A ghost that would otherwise be destroyed returns to its old haunts with a successful level check (1d20 + ghost’s HD) against DC 16. As a rule, the only way to get rid of a ghost for sure is to determine the reason for its existence and set right whatever prevents it from resting in peace. The exact means varies with each spirit and may require a good deal of research.

Turn Resistance (Ex)
A ghost has +4 turn resistance.

Abilities
Same as the base creature, except that the ghost has no Constitution score, and its Charisma score increases by +4.

Skills
Ghosts have a +8 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, Search, and Spot checks.

Languages:
Common, Abyssal

Class Features:
Sneak Attack +5d6
Trapfinding (use Search to find traps with DC of over 25, use Disable Device to disarm magical traps)
Evasion
Trap Sense (+3 Reflex saves vs. traps and a +3 AC bonus vs. traps)
Improved Uncanny Dodge (retain Dex bonus when flat-footed or against invisible opponents, cannot be flanked)
Skill Mastery (take 10 on Hide, Search, and Move Silently tests even when stress or distractions would normally prevent it)

Equipment:
Ring of Climbing, Improved (+10 competence bonus on Climb checks, 10,000gp)
Bracers of Armor +5 (surround the wearer with an invisible but tangible field of force, granting him an armor bonus of +5, 25,000gp)
Immoveable Rod x2 (Once put in place, the rod does not move from where it is, even if staying in place defies gravity, 10,000gp)
Dagger +3, Defending, Ghost Touch (can transfer up to +3 of bonus to AC rather than attack rolls, counts as either corporeal or incorporeal at any given time, whichever is more beneficial to the wielder, 50,000gp)
Gloves of Dexterity +6 (add to the wearer’s Dexterity score in the form of an enhancement bonus, 36,000gp)
Amulet of Proof against Detection and Location (protects the wearer from scrying and magical location just as a nondetection spell does, 35,000gp)
Bag of Holding type III (holds up to 1,000 lb. and 150 cu. ft. in transdimensional space, 7,400gp)
Chime of Opening w/ ten charges (when struck, it sends forth magical vibrations that cause locks, lids, doors, valves, and portals to open, including magical locks cast at under 15th level, 3,000gp)
Rope of Climbing (Upon command, the rope snakes forward, upward, downward, or in any other direction at 10 feet per round, attaching itself securely wherever its owner desires, 3,000gp)
Stone of Good Luck (gains a +1 luck bonus on saving throws, ability checks, and skill checks, 20,000gp)

Total spent: 199400
Wealth:200k

Last edited:

Lobo Lurker

First Post
Hey Bobitron,

Neat write up (love the art). :)
1) Ghosts use thier dex for thier melee attacks by default, so you don't need weapon finesse.
2) You get Manifestation plus 1d3 of the special ghost abilities, not all of them.

Hope that helps.

Bobitron

Explorer
Lobo Lurker said:
Hey Bobitron,

Neat write up (love the art). :)
1) Ghosts use thier dex for thier melee attacks by default, so you don't need weapon finesse.
2) You get Manifestation plus 1d3 of the special ghost abilities, not all of them.

Hope that helps.

Ahhh, thank you. I've never even read their stuff before last night.

Bobitron

Explorer
Okay! Did a quick edit. I kept three abilities, I hope you consider that fair, Peter. I stayed with Draining Touch, Malevolence, and Telekinesis. Not sure what I will pick for my extra feat. Maybe Fly-by attack? I would drop Dodge, Mobility, and Spring Attack if I did that, freeing up some feats.

Yeah, I'll do that. Take Fly-by Attack as my ninth-level bonus, and I'll choose three others later.

Nephtys

First Post
Sign me up as a player, or an alternate if the game is full. :)

I'd most of all prefer to play a Kyton, if that's even an option. I've been wanting to try one out for a while and this game seems to fit pretty well. He/She/It might be working for a rival diabolic master, or might be bound by magic (Planar Binding or similar spells) to serve the leader of the party. Or he might be a traitor to the party's main enemy, their guide to Hell and an aid to their infiltration of the fortress.
Barring that, a Ghost might be fun.

Remove ads