A casual Pathfinder adventure? (Recruiting Closed)

Walking Dad

First Post
For a paladin of Thanatos, I would think them similar to the paladins of Kelemvor (FR):
Protectors of the dead, bane to the undead and necromancers, sworn to bring the interest of the dead to the living as a mediator. Would take the Repose (souls) domain with the suggested changes for Pharasma (they replace the animate dead spells with less undead-friendly alternatives).

ut can you give me more details on Sivar?

jkason

First Post
Sorry it took me so long to fix him, but I think Kog is now converted money and language-wise to the setting: link to post

Also, I had a question about the Naturalist performance. Kog makes his check when he encounters the creature, that much I figured, but since the description goes to the trouble of limiting the type it effects ("used by creatures of that specific kind of monster (e.g., frost giants, not all giants or all humanoids)" ), this suggests to me that an Archivist 'collects' creature types it can use with this ability, rather than making his Know check each time prior to using his performance. Thoughts?

Rhun

First Post
Sorry it took me so long to fix him, but I think Kog is now converted money and language-wise to the setting: link to post

No worries, I'm certainly behind getting information posted, and I'll be out of town this weekend. You guys can expect me to get additional information posted next week, but we are still several weeks from game start.

Also, I had a question about the Naturalist performance. Kog makes his check when he encounters the creature, that much I figured, but since the description goes to the trouble of limiting the type it effects ("used by creatures of that specific kind of monster (e.g., frost giants, not all giants or all humanoids)" ), this suggests to me that an Archivist 'collects' creature types it can use with this ability, rather than making his Know check each time prior to using his performance. Thoughts?

Pathfinder said:
Naturalist (Ex): An archivist who has identified a creature with a Knowledge check appropriate to its type can use performance to share strategies for defeating it with allies in combat. The archivist and any allies within 30 feet gain a +1 insight bonus to AC and on attack rolls and saving throws against exceptional, supernatural, and spell-like abilities used by creatures of that specific kind of monster (e.g., frost giants, not all giants or all humanoids). This bonus increases by +1 at 5th level and every six levels thereafter. This language-dependent ability requires visual and audible components.

I would agree that once you've identified a specific monster as a certain creature type that you would gain the benefit of Naturalist going forward. i.e. if Korg has previously encountered and made his check against a frost giant, he shouldn't have to make his check the next time he encounters a frost giant.

Walking Dad

First Post
Any response to this?

For a paladin of Thanatos, I would think them similar to the paladins of Kelemvor (FR):
Protectors of the dead, bane to the undead and necromancers, sworn to bring the interest of the dead to the living as a mediator. Would take the Repose (souls) domain with the suggested changes for Pharasma (they replace the animate dead spells with less undead-friendly alternatives).

But can you give me more details on Sivar?

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Hey there Rhun. Could I take "Bird" as a language? Meaning Cauldron could do bircalls and speak to any intelligent birds we meet in their own language (maybe get a bonus on Survival checks to interpret birdie behavior?). Eldaran seems a bit too stuffy for him on reflection (no offense to Kog ;)).

Speaking of, just curious, but how do you see his Grease spell working, Jkason? His other spells all seem mental based, so some kind of confusion power maybe?

jkason

First Post
Speaking of, just curious, but how do you see his Grease spell working, Jkason? His other spells all seem mental based, so some kind of confusion power maybe?

I don't think I'd planned on doing anything special with the spell in terms of implementation. Glitterdust is a physical spell, too, and I wanted a few I could use on things that were immune to mind-effecting stuff. :)

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Wasn't suggesting changing the crunch, JK, just wondering how you saw the fluff. Glitterdust I could see as Kog going on a tirade about 'The Light of Truth' that was so moving it struck evildoers blind and revealed all hidden things. :D

jkason

First Post
I've themed out magics for characters based on concept before (I have a celestial bloodline sorcerer in LPF, and I've been playing with his magic actually coming from invoking invisible celestial spirits that attend him), but I hadn't really planned on doing so with Kog. He's a pretty classic bookworm sort, so I see his magics coming from study, and from studying as many sources as he can. For that reason, it actually makes sense to me that his spells wouldn't necessarily manifest thematically.

Remove ads