Pathfinder 1E (A Game of Trust 2) Way of the Wicked [Alternate Beginnings]

G

Guest 11456

In the kingdom of Talingarde, many crimes may send you to Branderscar Prison, but the sentence has but one meaning. You are wicked and irredeemable. You were each held down by rough hands and branded upon the arm with a runic F. The mark signifies ‘forsaken’ and the painful scar is indelible proof that each of you has betrayed the great and eternal love of Mitra and his chosen mortal vassals.

Condemned, you face at best a life of shackles and servitude in the salt mines. Others might await the “gentle” ministrations of the inquisitors so that co-conspirators may be revealed and confessions extracted. Perhaps, some of you will be spared this ordeal. Perhaps instead you are going to Branderscar to face the final judgment. In three days, the executioner will arrive and the axe falls or the pyre will be lit. Through fire or steel, your crimes will be answered.

You have all been chained together in a filthy cart dressed in nothing but filthy, tattered rags. Manhandled and mistreated, any finery you once possessed is either ruined or long lost. Your feet are secured by iron cuffs tethered by one long chain. Your arms are secured to the wall of the cart above by manacles. You know that you are on your way to Branderscar prison. An odd occurence happened when you were being put inside the cart. Originally Cass was to be on the left. But a strange woman spoke to the captain of the guards. The next thing you know Cass is moved to the right side.

[sblock=Sense Motive DC 25*]The captain seems to be under the effect of some enchantment.[/sblock]
OOC: *No need to show rolls in a case like this. Just make a Sense Motive roll on your own. If your total is 25 or more then your character knows what is in the sblock.

Escape seems hopeless. You have all been well searched and every attempt to conceal anything on your person has failed. And if you could somehow slip your bonds and get out of the cart, where would you go? Who from your former life would want anything to do with the forsaken? Despised, alone and shackled – all that you can do now is await your doom. For each of you, your old life is over. For each of you, hope is a fading memory. For each of you, justice will be fairly meted. And who can blame fair Talingarde after what each of you has done?

You find that you are all in this predicament together. You may be villains, criminals and outcasts, but you are united in a common cause. You each wish you were somewhere else. Unless there is something tying you to another PC you know nothing about the others. So, introductions might be helpful at this point.

There are six of you. Nelleon, Niles and Cass are on the right side of the cart (in that order from front to back). There are three more on the left side of the cart. You estimate that it will be at least another hour before you arrive at your destination. It is now sometime close to midnight by your estimate.

Players & Characters
Deuce Traveler: Lord Nelleon Mallicor, the human anti-paladin guilty of dueling unto death
Scott DeWar: Niles LeGosche, the human wizard guilty of arson
CanadienneBacon: Cass Anders, the human oracle guilty of murder

Last edited by a moderator:

[section]
"Move over." Cass grunts, sliding down the side of the cart and using his hip to nudge the man (Niles) on his left. A second grunt, this one softer and pained, escapes Cass's throat as the roughspun rag covering his upper body catches on Cass's fire-savaged skin.

Using the excuse of stretching out his legs in front of himself, Cass covertly tests the strength of the manacles and chain binding his feet.​
[/section]

[sblock]Cass didn't roll well enough to make the Sense Motive DC 25 check.

Perception 19. Cass notes the three others on the left side of the cart, but looks around to see what's become of the guards, the Captain, and the strange women. It sounds like Cass might be close to the cart's back side, the exit? Is the cart made of wood?

Strength 17 (die roll, not ability score!). If there are no guards around, Cass will overtly test the chain and manacles to see if he can break or weaken it.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Lord Nelleon is a large man, and he continues to slowly work his muscles in a way to test the strength of his bonds. Strange things seem to be afoot, and the sentenced noble wants to be able to act if need be. Still, he tries to remain quiet as he stares at the men around them and watches for their actions. He gazes especially long on Cass and his antics.

OOC: No need to roll for Sense Motive. Nelleon would never succeed.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
ooc: Niles has a total of +1, so no chance of making that sense motive either

Niles gives a quick dark look to Cass then with an eye roll scoots over. A look in his eyes shows only one thing: A man with nothing to lose. Absolutely nothing.He has the strength of a bureaucrat, that is to say, not much at all, so he does not even bother to to test his bonds. He waits patiently for one of the guards to make a mistake to be taken advantage of. If he has to suffer these fools, then he shall. His imagination rolls on looking for a plan of escape. He will not think twice about frying any of these guards. His fellow prisoners might make good allies, so he will suffer any bullish ways that exhibit.

G

Guest 11456

On the left side of the cart are a male human, a male dwarf and a female aasimar (from front to back). You are in more of a metal cage surrounded by a wooden box. There are no guards in the cage with you. The exit is at the back of the cart. The chain that runs from the front to the back and secures your feet with iron cuffs looks to be very sturdy. The manacles seem to be well maintained and sturdy. Even over time the manacles show no sign of weakening. From the sounds outside the cage you have determined that only two guards drive the cart pulled by horses.

It is the male human on the left side of the cart that breaks the silence first. He whispers, loud enough for all within the cart to hear but soft enough so that the noise probably does not carry beyond the walls of the cart. "I am Benedict. My bounds appear to be secure. If we can get past the guards perhaps we can work together to escape."

[sblock=Sense Motive DC 3]There is something odd about how he speaks.
[sblock=Sense Motive DC 8]You believe he is lying at least in part.
[sblock=Sense Motive DC 13]You are pretty sure that if he gets free he wouldn't hesitate to kill you.
[sblock=Sense Motive DC 18]You are quite sure that he is sadistic and extremely chaotic.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]

It is the female aasimar that speaks up next. "I do not know why I am here. I need to get out of here. Why am I with you people?"

[sblock=Sense Motive DC 0]She appears to be genuinely frightened.
[sblock=Sense Motive DC 5]You believe she is telling the truth.
[sblock=Sense Motive DC 10]You get the feeling that she is innocent and was wrongly convicted.[/sblock][/sblock][/sblock]

The male dwarf merely watches and does not speak.

[sblock=Detect Good]The aasimar is definately good in alignment.[/sblock]

[section]Cass eyes Benedict for a long moment, stiffening as Benedict whispers. Something not right in the set of his shoulders. He'd sooner slit my throat than give a hand up, Cass thinks. When the female speaks, Cass's eyes shift from Benedict to her. But she's alright. Probably innocent. Sweet little thing. Cass's eyes drift south of the girl's face to settle on her chest and hips. Wouldn't mind doi--

"GODS!" The cart bounces over a rut, and Cass gasps in pain, seizing the branded F on his forearm. Hunched over his forearm, Cass mutters in low tones to Niles, "We need a diversion. I may not have a sword, but I can...do things...to spark a fire. Or hurt someone." Cass lets his eyes flick to the guard driving the cart. "Just make sure we kill the male human on the left. He's a danger."[/section]

OOC: Sense Motive 15 on Benedict, Sense Motive 16 on the aasimar.

[sblock]We're manacled and chained, three to a chain, right? Is the chain bolted into metal or wood? Cass thinks maybe he can light the cart on fire for a diversion, or--even better--if the chain is bolted through wood, Cass wants to light the fire where the bolt is, which would hopefully cause a diversion and at least get us unbound from the cart.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Nelleon speaks in reply to the aasimar, "I do not know why you are here. Sometimes decent people are mistakenly convicted by this decadent government that rules us. I myself am here because of an unjust law. We should see what can be done. If not we will soon be dead, or will wish to be."

He looks towards the other speaker and says, "Well met, Benedict, though you speak oddly. I am Lord Nelleon Mallicor, and I also seek to escape. I can't break my bounds, either, but perhaps if we cannot break our chains, we may work together to break the pieces of wall where we are chained."

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
[roll0]
[roll1]
*sigh* 'We the forsaken, mi lady, have been tried and found guilty of being too different from the tight constraints of this societies' standards of norm. However, in their hypocritical methods, they seem to have chosen you for some reason to be a sacrifice in worship to their god of justice. I know what I did and I have no regrets.
With an evil, malicious grin, Niles looks to Cass and asks, "You need fire? When and where exactly do you need it?"
[sblock=fire use]Niles is thinking of using a fire jet [SU] to weaken the wood connection if that is what is wanted, but if a distraction is needed, he will blast Benedict instead. He looks shifty.[/sblock]

Last edited:

G

Guest 11456

[sblock]We're manacled and chained, three to a chain, right? Is the chain bolted into metal or wood? Cass thinks maybe he can light the cart on fire for a diversion, or--even better--if the chain is bolted through wood, Cass wants to light the fire where the bolt is, which would hopefully cause a diversion and at least get us unbound from the cart.[/sblock]

The single chain that binds everyone's feet runs the length of the cart and is locked to the metal cage at the front and the back. It alternates who's feet are bound. First is Benedict and then Nelleon and so on with Cass being last.

Remove ads