D&D 5E A Proper Ability Score Generation Preference Poll

What PC ability score generation method do you prefer?

• Pick any scores you want

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Point-buy of 27 ponts

Votes: 77 40.5%
  • Standard array only

Votes: 17 8.9%
  • Default PHB: Players' choice of 4d6 drop lowest OR standard array

Votes: 20 10.5%
  • Players' choice of 4d6 drop lowest OR point-buy (27 points & including standard array)

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • 4d6 drop lowest only

Votes: 19 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 29 15.3%

smbakeresq

Explorer
Question on this. How do you do treasure shares? In all the groups I played in cash was shared out evenly and magic items were given to whoever could get the most use out of it.

This way. And a party pool to pay for resurrections and stuff, although I don't think is used that way any more. You can revivify at level 5 now, and multiple people get it.

Hussar

Legend
Because you would read what he wrote and then change it so you can be correct. But standard array with standard human leaves you with 16, 15, 14, 13, 11, 9.

SS means Dex is highest, that's the 16. You could actually make it lower since you took archery style, you would do that only for purposes of this post, no reasonable player would do that. They would max the attack stat that also is defense, initiative and saves.

15 or 13 will go into CON, so you can play for Resilient CON, I would choose 15 as you get HP also. You have space for 2 more feats but used a resilient spot already, so 14 into WIs

S
D 16
C 15
W 14
I
CHR

Leaving you a 13, 12 and an 8, where it doesn't matter what you do with them. I would suspect you would pick some odd places to put them just to be proven right, that's not the point.

You didn't specify subclass either. If you decide not to max out dex and use feats. I can see putting the 13 in STR to maybe take athlete or something later.

You could also for the purpose of "winning" this argument make some type of thrower build, putting the 16 in STR and using axes or something to throw. Someone said they made a dedicated javelin throw here, just to say they made one. I think its a lie but no matter, I have never seen one in 35+ years but I guess someone would do it if they had a DM that doesn't track ammo.

You can FORCE an odd build just to be correct, but that's all it would be. No one would make a build

S 11
D 9
C 13
I 15
W 14
Ch 16

Except to say "See I said you couldn't guess my build!!!! I win!!!!"

So you get the point. Anything else is just argument for the sake of argument.

Nice. You claim that you can accurately guess the stats of any character created with point buy or standard array, but, when actually asked to do so, you claim that it cannot be done. Note, I guess for accuracy's sake, it was a Hunter build.

You got the Dex correct at least. Granted, Con was wrong and since you wouldn't actually step up to your claims, it's pretty hard to say right or wrong.

So, do you still stand behind that claim? You can guess a PC's array?

Note, why would you track ammo for a javelin thrower? You do realize that you don't actually destroy the javelins after throwing them right? Carry a half dozen or so javelins, or even a dozen wouldn't be that hard, and you're good to go.

smbakeresq

Explorer
In the ye olde days though, bad guys were MUCH harder to hit. it was "common" to have a boss that could only be hit on an 18-20, even with all your modfiers. IIRC correctly Lolth Avatar had 66 HP but an AC of -8 which most PC needed a 19 or 20 to hit. Now it is (correctly IMO) you get in a lot of hits but it takes more damage to bring them down. Hitting is fun, missing isn't.

Overall I think 5e is the best overall edition of the game, even with its holes

Hussar

Legend
You realize that's a serious outlier right? Most, if not virtually all, non-unique enemies had an AC in the positive numbers and only a very, very few hit -2 or -3. Good grief, by the time you were 10th level (THAC0 of 11 for a fighter) with a +2 to hit for strength, +3 to hit for specialization, +3 to hit for that magic weapon, you basically missed on a 1 for 99% of the things you faced.

Yaarel

He Mage
Do you know how he coded it? There are only 64 options with point buy if he's hard coding it. If it's randomized, it would be easier to modify the numbers.

If you go to the Redrick Roller website, it seems you can View Page Source code, and customize it or even make it customizable to modify the point costs and the total point budget.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Nice. You claim that you can accurately guess the stats of any character created with point buy or standard array, but, when actually asked to do so, you claim that it cannot be done. Note, I guess for accuracy's sake, it was a Hunter build.

You got the Dex correct at least. Granted, Con was wrong and since you wouldn't actually step up to your claims, it's pretty hard to say right or wrong.

So, do you still stand behind that claim? You can guess a PC's array?

Note, why would you track ammo for a javelin thrower? You do realize that you don't actually destroy the javelins after throwing them right? Carry a half dozen or so javelins, or even a dozen wouldn't be that hard, and you're good to go.

Yes, the fact that you didn't post anything means I hit more than I missed and you are now thinking of a way to make a build that seems reasonable without actually appearing that you made it odd just to win the claim. Good try, but no dice, you get the point. And I did get it, that's why you still haven't posted a build. I did get it right, the ones that matter. No one cares where you put the 13, 11, and 9, they are irrelevant to the build, as is taking Alert for your second feat, which was done just for the purpose of a curveball. SS sure, its fun. ABI helps. Mobile helps and is fun also. Alert? That's a joke.

If I didn't get it mostly right, you would have posted that. You didn't and are now scrambling to think of what to post. Are you going to post a 15 CHR ranger just to win? I bet you would. You wouldn't even try anything like this. Not even close.

As far as javelins I said I have never actually seen that build, someone claimed they built one just to get a win on the forums. I never even seen a player carry one unless it was a javelin of lightening. As a javelin though, I would rule that hits use up at the javelins, like a Pilum would unless you take time to straighten it.

You should have that build ready by now, you have 5 minutes, post with explanation for every choice

Clock is ticking

smbakeresq

Explorer
You realize that's a serious outlier right? Most, if not virtually all, non-unique enemies had an AC in the positive numbers and only a very, very few hit -2 or -3. Good grief, by the time you were 10th level (THAC0 of 11 for a fighter) with a +2 to hit for strength, +3 to hit for specialization, +3 to hit for that magic weapon, you basically missed on a 1 for 99% of the things you faced.

That's why they are called BOSSES. As is +3 magic weapon atlevel 10, and your example of all specializations taken by then for your fighter. That's the outlier.

If all of your PC's hit %95 of the time at level 10 your DM was horrible

Last edited:

smbakeresq

Explorer
Off topic, regarding that %99 of the time you only miss on a 1 claim, I pulled out City of Skulls module since it has pregens in it. The To Hit AC 0 of the PCs listed with all feats and str and weapons included are 6, 8, 10, 12, 10, 13. The monsters (not including slimes and riff-raff) are mostly between AC 3 to 0,using the old system the PC's would need to roll those numbers above those numbers above. The bosses AC are -3 and -6, so to hit those bosses the players would need to roll, in order,9+, 11+, 13+, 15+, 13+ and 16+. Against the Hezrou they would need to add 3 more to those numbers, or 12, 14, 16, 18, 16, and 19. Essentially the PCs as given in the adventure by Carl Sargeant have about a %55 chance to hit for the martial types against the regular bad guys, and less against the heavy hitters, ranging from %45 for the best to %15.

The players themselves are 11th level, and have better AC's then the monsters, -3 to 1, which at that time was pretty good. The monsters generally have about a %35 chance to hit those players AC's.

That's they way D&D is designed, as a PC you are supposed to take many more attacks (but many misses) while you are swinging less but hitting more. 5E has greatly expanded this with bounded accuracy, monsters generally having lower ACs but more HP, and players really able to get in a lot of hits. That makes combat fun.

No one likes to miss or be hit, everyone likes to dodge attacks and hit the enemy back.

BTW City of Skulls is a 2nd edition Module. If you DM GET IT, just for the great notoriety mechanic. Basically the bad guys are always watching in some way, shape or form. As the PC do things (kill people, destroy property, disrupt routines) they gain notoriety points, at certain levels the bad guys send a hit squad to investigate, the might of the squad escalates. Covering your tracks can lower your notoriety, as can smart play. I have used this mechanic in every single campaign since I read this for the first time in 1993.

Hussar

Legend
Yes, the fact that you didn't post anything means I hit more than I missed and you are now thinking of a way to make a build that seems reasonable without actually appearing that you made it odd just to win the claim. Good try, but no dice, you get the point. And I did get it, that's why you still haven't posted a build. I did get it right, the ones that matter. No one cares where you put the 13, 11, and 9, they are irrelevant to the build, as is taking Alert for your second feat, which was done just for the purpose of a curveball. SS sure, its fun. ABI helps. Mobile helps and is fun also. Alert? That's a joke.

If I didn't get it mostly right, you would have posted that. You didn't and are now scrambling to think of what to post. Are you going to post a 15 CHR ranger just to win? I bet you would. You wouldn't even try anything like this. Not even close.

As far as javelins I said I have never actually seen that build, someone claimed they built one just to get a win on the forums. I never even seen a player carry one unless it was a javelin of lightening. As a javelin though, I would rule that hits use up at the javelins, like a Pilum would unless you take time to straighten it.

You should have that build ready by now, you have 5 minutes, post with explanation for every choice

Clock is ticking

Alert is great for a Ranger. Guarantee winning initiative and gain advantage on your first two (or three with hoard breaker) shots? Fantastic. Not sure why you think it's an outlier. And, you got one right. I did say that. The others were all wrong (granted, you only picked two others). But, fair enough, let's go the other way.

I have 5 PC's in the Primeval Thule campaign I DM:

Halfling Ranger (beastmaster),
Human (variant) Ranger (Hunter) ,
Human (Variant) Paladin 5/Ranger 1 (Oath of Devotion),
Human Monk (Open Hand) and
Human Thief (Mastermind).

All 6th level. All made with point buy.

Let's see you match the stats to the class. (stats are listed in order of Str ,Dex,Con, Int, Wis, Cha)

There ya go. No calling me a liar now. No weaseling out. Let's see you put your money where your mouth is. You flat out said you could always tell where the stats would fall, so, show us.

pemerton

Legend
Lolth has AC -10.

Those modules are for PCs around 11th level. A cleric or fighter at that level hits AC-10 on a 20. (The first 20 for a fighter. The fifth 20 for a cleric.) The bonus to hit at that level should be in the neighbourhood of +5 or more (from strength and weapon bonus - the drow have plenty of +4 weapons to loot!). That's a hit on 15+ or thereabouts.

Most monsters have ACs 10 or more less than that, and hence will be hit pretty easily.

Remove ads