Adv: Rhapsody; Judge: renau1g

johnmeier1

Explorer
Baern starts to look on the little motormouthed girl in growing horror. Be quiet will you? Don't pick a fight with the ship's crew. Their elemental powers the ship and is keeping up aloft. Let's go over to them and explain. Baern stows his handaxe and begins to climb the garbage to the other side of the ship.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Cairn looks in wonder at the child and after wondering how the dragon tastes he takes a chip off his stone, wraps it in little moss off his shoulder and offers her.

"Try Eberron. He's the mightiest of the dragons. We won't mind."

@Luinar, Narvala would benefit the most from healing word + surgeless healing I think.

Luinnar

First Post
Cairn looks in wonder at the child and after wondering how the dragon tastes he takes a chip off his stone, wraps it in little moss off his shoulder and offers her.

"Try Eberron. He's the mightiest of the dragons. We won't mind."

@Luinar, Narvala would benefit the most from healing word + surgeless healing I think.
OOC: Someone will have to use Mending Spirit (surge+2 HP) and grant Narvala the surgeless HP (1d6+1). Those are the only healing powers I have (besides the THP at-will, but I have to hit things for that to work ;))

Christina reaches out and is about to grab the offered rock, but the large bear Pooh gets to it first and grabs it out of Cairn's hand, almost biting it off in the process. He chews for a moment, then swallows and gives it a satisfactory growl.

Pooh says dragon is almost as good as Kenku. Christina says. Maybe we should go kill one, then we can all have some! After we save Mr. Metal Thing's elemental that is.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
As Baern heads up and over the trash, he sees what appears to be a wheelhouse at the front of the garbage barge. A goblin is inside, hanging onto a wheel-like device the size of a small shield at the front of the wheelhouse. He appears to be concentrating and sweat is running down his face. The fire in the back of the barge is shaped in a large circle. It starts increasing and decreasing in intensity, giving off waves of heat. The barge continues to shake and is still spiraling downward. The shakes appear to be synchronized with the intensity of the fire driving the craft. Whooshing sounds can be heard every time the fire increases or decreases.

Luinnar

First Post
OOC: Christina can "talk" to beasts using her Beast Empathy power.

Would this include the elemental? I am unsure if magical beasts count as a beast for the purpose of the ability. Or are these elemental not magical beasts?

FourMonos

First Post
Nyar hustles (as in holds his back painfully) over the garbage and takes in the scene of the failing elemental ring.

"Oh boy..."

He fakes a smile.

"We're going to be fine... just fine."

He steps closer to the elemental ring, "I can help fix this."

Nyar holds his arms out wide, focusing not only on what he was taught in elemental binding at the towers of Arcanix, but also the tricks he learned from Cannith tinkerers wanting to trade knowledge over the years.

"Cairn! Please bring me something metal and heavy, the ring needs more support on the left."

[sblock=arcana check 33] 1d20+13 → [20,13] = (33) Roll Lookup . That was a lovely time for a natural 20.
[/sblock]

KarinsDad

Adventurer
OOC: Christina can "talk" to beasts using her Beast Empathy power.

Would this include the elemental? I am unsure if magical beasts count as a beast for the purpose of the ability. Or are these elemental not magical beasts?

OOC: Beasts are not magical beasts. They are two different types. There are actually four types of creatures: animate, beast, humanoid, and magical beast.

Magical beasts might look like beasts, but are more intelligent (Int 3 or higher).

So, a creature could be an elemental beast and Christina could "talk" to it. But, if it is an elemental magical beast, then Christina cannot "talk" to it.

As a side note, Christina cannot actually talk to such creatures. She can communicate simple concepts and commands. Anything complex would not be understood.

By limiting the Beast Empathy power to the Beast type, WotC is saying that Druids can talk to animal intelligent creatures (regardless of Origin: aberrant, elemental, fey, immortal, natural, or shadow), but not intelligent beasts that look like a beast, but act like a person. She can communicate with a Gray Wolf, but not with a Worg. This has a very D&D distinctive Speak With Animals feel to it.

As to whether or not the elemental bound to this vessel is an elemental magical beast or an elemental beast, that will require an Arcana Knowledge check on Christina's part.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
As he steps up to the elemental ring itself, Nyar focuses on the flows of magical energy binding the elemental. He notices that the magic is somewhat weaker in many places, possibly due to the age of the vessel. This is a very old airship.

The magic is easily strong enough to contain a passive fire elemental, but an aggitated one is another story completely. Nyar thinks that he cannot actually do anything about the fading magic of the ship itself (i.e. a physical repair of the magic), instead he will need to go help the Captain try to control the elemental through the controls of the ship.

[sblock=OOC]
That's one success in the challenge of stopping the ship from falling (and it was such a good result that it ended up giving Nyar an idea on how to continue). If the other PCs want to attempt something as well, they can. A PC does not have to help if the player cannot think of anything useful, but just let me know if that is what your PC is doing.

This is "round one" of the challenge.

Also, the new rules on Aid Another with skill challenges is that if you try to help and fail the Aid Another roll, you actually add a -1 penalty to the skill check of whomever you are aiding. DC for Aid Another is 13 for this group.
[/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Cairn looks around and finds bent metal support beam, probably from some derelict ship or noble house arch. It is burried more then half in the trash, but with great heave he raises the thing and stumbles with it toward left side of the elemental ring.

He carefully puts the beam down and looks at the mage.

"How do I set it?"

Athletics (1d20+11=29)

Remove ads