Adventure: Food of the Gods (DM: ryryguy, Judge: renau1g)

Mewness

First Post
Jynxx taps his temple, "I can speak to your mind remember? Do you think my ability is limited to simple two-way conversation? No my friend, I can hear your thoughts and emotions. Please my friend, for all of our sakes, continue your story and leave nothing out."

Papolstaanas had earlier convinced himself that Jynxx couldn't read minds, but he completely believes the bard's claim and stares at him in wide-eyed alarm before abruptly getting up and going outside. He shivers a little, thoroughly creeped out by the idea of having someone intruding upon his thoughts. He then sees Chaku making a game out of throwing things at the trees and joins in.

ryryguy

First Post
OOC: Here was something I meant to post before...

[sblock=History DC 12 (active; automatic for Kaeysari)]You have heard of Belsamae Bellora, a very famous chef of the Imperium. He travels the world in search of new culinary ideas and experiences. As an eladrin of advanced age, he has over a century of such experiences to inform his artistry.

Bellora has cooked for cooked for kings and queens and emperors, pirate lords and bandit chiefs, and even dragons and devils if the stories are true. But not all of his cuisine is exotic. Several of his dishes have become commonplace in kitchens throughout Imperium lands.[/sblock]

OOC: Full update incoming, sit tight! :)

ryryguy

First Post
Jynxx shakes his head at Krasseus, "I know you have more of the zocalti. I know you have more to tell, but are ashamed." Jynxx taps his temple, "I can speak to your mind remember? Do you think my ability is limited to simple two-way conversation? No my friend, I can hear your thoughts and emotions. Please my friend, for all of our sakes, continue your story and leave nothing out."

Krassus stares at Jynxx, the color visibly draining from his face.

"Yes, I did hide some away," he says. "I put some aside for Chef Balsamae. I could tell, Hedra was not going to listen to reason, she was demanding all the zocalti. But I thought, I thought if I could give him at least a little bit, just one bushel, I'd be keeping the door open. He'd still come to us for the next harvest, and we could get into the Imperium market..."

The manager gives a sudden, gasping cough. Unexpectedly, he begins to weep. His whole body shudders and he puts his hands up to hide his face. "Yes, yes, I did have some hidden away! Planhoein knew it, I don't know how he did. And he killed those poor people before my eyes. He made me watch. He said he'd let them go if I only told him..."

He lowers his hands. Tears are streaming down his face. "But don't you see?" he pleads. "He was lying! If I told him where the beans were, he would have just killed us anyway! By not telling we lived longer, just a few minutes longer... but not long enough. You got here too late! He killed them. He even killed her! Oh gods, he killed her last of all and I couldn't do anything to save her!"

ooc: not sure, did you clean up the bodies of the workers around? I know Chaku burned the bodies of the enemies, but I don't recall anyone saying they did anything with the others...

He looks over at one of the fallen workers, a middle-aged woman who was slain next to one of the drying tables. Her hands were rough and her skin was cracked from long days in the sun; blood stains her roughspun clothing and death has distorted her features. But the look on Krassus' face tells a different story. For a moment, you can almost imagine seeing her in life, seeing her the way he saw her, a much happier and beautiful picture. Then he turns back towards the hut, bawling uncontrollably.

"Oh Krassus, you poor, poor thing," an unexpected voice cuts in. The voice is not sympathetic. Indeed, it drips with sarcasm. "That's the saddest thing I ever heard! Boys, quick, get me a hanky, I think I'm gonna start cryin' too!"

Rough laughter answers from a half dozen throats...

(to be continued shortly!)

ryryguy

First Post
Two groups of hobgoblins stand on either side of the hut. They have the group roughly surrounded, apparently able to approach unnoticed while you were distracted by Krassus' spectacle.

The one who spoke leans slouching against the haft of a long polearm. He's tall for a hobgoblin and wears dirty scale armor. His incisors are showing in a mean grin. Several teeth gleam silver. Cheap rings hang from either ear and a bright red sash is wrapped around his waist.

Two other hobgoblins in leather armor flank him. Their longswords are sheathed, but each rests his hand on the hilt. One is missing a pinky, the other's left eye is covered by a gold patch.

Behind them skulks a shorter figure, probably a goblin, though it's hard to say for certain. It has its hood up and a cloak hides most of its body, despite the sweltering heat. Even out in the open in the bright daylight, it seems shifty somehow. It has a bone symbol around his neck. It looks like some sort of talon or tooth design.
[sblock=Symbol]
230px-Bane_symbol_-_Mike_Schely.jpg

[sblock=Religion DC 12 (passive)]It's the symbol of Bane, the Dark Lord, evil deity of war and conquest, commonly worshiped by mercenaries and goblins (so goblin mercenaries are right in Bane's sweet spot).[/sblock][/sblock]
Three more hobgoblins in leather jack stand on the other side of the clearing, close to the once-poisoned tree that Chaku "disarmed". They're passing around a waterskin, though from the distillery aroma detectable from ten feet away, it's got something in it besides water. One leers at Cillani, winking.

Behind the three is a short human. He wears comfortable-looking though sweat-stained travelling clothes and holds what could be a long walking stick, though both ends are blackened and scorched. His head is shaved and covered with intricate blue tattoos. Scars mar his throat.

[sblock=Streetwise DC 12 (active)]From the leader's accent, and the way they are dressed, these are Bacarte mercenaries.[/sblock]
[sblock=Papolstaanas]You don't recognize any of these individuals personally, but you recognize their type in an instant. They look and sound like the rough sorts that your siblings have been known to hang out with on Bacarte.[/sblock]
The tall hobgoblin rubs at his eyes mockingly. "So sad, Krassus! But you know what, I'm real happy to hear you still got some of them beans for Mister Balsamey. Yep, what with the mess here I was worried you might not be able to keep up our arrangement, but I'm cheering right up at that news! Hold the hanky, boys!" The other hobgoblins laugh again. A soft hissing noise comes from the cloaked goblin.

"So why don't you just dig up your special stash and hand it right over. And the rest of you - " the hobgoblin looks around at the rest of the party for the first time, his mean grin turning into a grim line. "You all just keep still, keep your hands away from your blades, and we ain't got no problem here. We'll be on our way and you can get back to consolin' poor old Krassus." The grin returns.

[sblock=Skill Challenge: Face Down the Ruffians]

Level 1, Complexity 2: 6 successes before 3 failures.

Success: The ruffians back down without a fight.

Failure: Fight!

Note: This challenge is optional... you might want to avoid a fight to save some resources, plus you might pick up some clues by engaging them in a conversation. However, at any time you can go straight to combat. Merely draw your weapons. They will be happy to oblige!

Procedure: We'll go in "rounds". Each PC makes one check per round. At least two of these checks must be primary or secondary skill checks "for effect", meaning that the check counts towards the success and failure counts in the challenge. The other checks may be aid another checks (see below).

Successes with some skills might unlock others or give additional bonuses on top of granting a success in the challenge.

Primary Skills (DC 15*): Intimidate (max 3 successes), Bluff (max 2 successes), Streetwise (max 2 successes), Religion (max 1 success), Arcana (max 1 success), Diplomacy (DC 22, max 1 success)

Secondary Skills (DC 20): any, be creative! Max one success per skill. (Powers might work too.)

Diplomacy (DC 22): These guys definitely do not look like the types who will respond well to honeyed words. However, if you have a specific offer or proposal you want to make, you'll need a Diplomacy success to get them to accept. However, you can get a maximum of one success through diplomacy, so use it wisely! (I do not have anything particular in mind here, just a hunch that something like that might come up... if it's something that makes sense in the context of the overall interaction, expect a generous circumstance bonus.)

Aid Another (DC 10/15): In addition to using the same skill as being used for the primary check (i.e., using Intimidate to aid Intimidate), you can use another skill if you can describe a way in which it makes sense (i.e., using Athletics to look strong to aid Intimidate). It's DC 10 when using the same skill, or DC 15 when using a different skill, but I will give circumstance bonuses for good ideas and descriptions when using different skills. Powers might work too. A successful Aid Another check gives +2 to the main skill check; failure has no effect.

* - FYI, I go with the pre-errata DCs, I think the errataed ones are just too low. But I'm pretty generous with circumstance bonuses for good ideas and roleplaying[/sblock]

Mezegis

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Wow, I know Chaku is dense, but letting 8 people get the drop and surround us... maybe he really does have rocks for brains. :eek:[/sblock]

Chaku jumps with a startle as the goblinoid group materializes around them. He nearly draws his maul and charges, but they do not seem immediately hostile. Returning to the group, he stands behind them, attempting to improve on his teddybear image and look somewhat menacing.

[sblock=Mechanics]Aide another on Intimidate: 1d20=11 barely a success.
Social skill challenge, my fave! To use my -1 or 0 skills, choices choices. :.-([/sblock]

LadyLaw

First Post
[sblock=pre-challenge skill checks]OK, so I screwed these up because I apparently had a WIP character sheet for another character on my desk over Az's and didn't notice, which just goes to show that I should wait more than 5 minutes after getting up before doing these things. At any rate, I put in the wrong modifiers on the rolls, so I'll correct it below.

History: 1d20+1=9 Az's History is actually +5 which makes this 13 actually and succeeds.

Streetwise: 1d20+4=18 Again, it should actually be +5, but that doesn't change the result here.[/sblock]

Azryah is interested to hear the hobgoblins talk, although incredibly dismayed that they were allowed to sneak up on the entire party. They had an arrangement with Krassus? How interesting. That knowledge gets filed away with the rest of the nonsense about Balsame and the fact that he'd been hiding some of the beans from them. There was more intrigue in this story than even she expected, and she'd been expecting some from the start. It is certainly clear why Merkari sent her on this mission. A true test for all involved.

She stood slowly and tried to take in as much of the scene as possible. They needed to get out of this as quickly as possible, since they still had to track down the rest of the product.

In her statuesque pose she examines the tattooed man more closely, digging through her memory for all she can remember about his god looking for any clues that may help her manipulate the man.

[sblock=Religion check]
It is my intent that she's trying to remember more specific information that might help them, including whether or not that leader seems to be a priest, if she knows anything about the tattoos being tied into things, etc.

1d20+10=27[/sblock]

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Jynxx stands slowly, his eyes trained on the one with the hood. "Come now, can you not see we are not enemies? I have no care if Krasseus gives you the stash he had hidden away. We are not here for trifles such as that. Please, lower your own weapons so that my companions and I feel at ease. Without us, your stash would be lost."

"It would appear, that you are from Bacarte are you not?"

[sblock=Diplomacy]

Had to try the highest one first lol

1d20+10=22 barely...

**edit** decided to go for the streetwise roll 1d20+6=16 woot!
[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=getting snuck up on]So it sounds like some are upset the thugs were able to roll up on you undetected? But remember the situation... you were all on the opposite side of the hut from where they were approaching. Krassus was unintentionally providing quite a distraction with his antics. And no one indicated that they were trying to watch the approaches.

That said, also note that the thugs did not win a surprise round. If they were just trying to launch an immediate sneak attack, then I would have done Stealth vs. Perception checks (or probably not even bothered - they almost certainly would have failed vs. the ridiculously Perception-heavy party ;)). In the narrative, they "snuck up" on you, but in game terms, they didn't really gain any advantage should combat break out.[/sblock]
Chaku jumps with a startle as the goblinoid group materializes around them. He nearly draws his maul and charges, but they do not seem immediately hostile. Returning to the group, he stands behind them, attempting to improve on his teddybear image and look somewhat menacing.

Aid another success, +2 to next Intimidate check.

In her statuesque pose Azryah examines the tattooed man more closely, digging through her memory for all she can remember about his god looking for any clues that may help her manipulate the man.

Azryah thinks the tattoos are actually arcane in nature. She gets more of a priestly vibe from the cloaked goblin. Looking more closely at his holy symbol, she sees that the tips are died black and red. This is an indication that the goblin worships Maglubiyet, one of Bane's exarchs who is very popular with goblins. The deva recalls that Maglubiyet worshipers tend to be superstitious, looking for omens, signs and portents before entering battles. Something interpreted as an ill omen could put them off wanting to fight.

Religion: 1 success, and +2 bonus to a Bluff or other check relating to signs and omens

ooc: We'll assume Az relays her insights to Jynxx telepathically, and he can relay them on as needed, so anyone can use that +2 bonus.

Jynxx stands slowly, his eyes trained on the one with the hood. "Come now, can you not see we are not enemies? I have no care if Krasseus gives you the stash he had hidden away. We are not here for trifles such as that. Please, lower your own weapons so that my companions and I feel at ease. Without us, your stash would be lost."

"It would appear, that you are from Bacarte are you not?"

ooc: None of the thugs has actually drawn a weapon so they don't have anything to lower... :)

The hooded goblin stares back, his eyes like black pits, but says nothing.

The lead hobgoblin's grin widens into a full-fledged smirk. "So glad you see it our way," he says. "We'll be takin' the stash then. And just to make sure Krassus ain't holdin' out on us, or maybe just might be confused because of all that cryin', we're gonna take our time and search this place too. Seein' how reasonable you are, I'm sure you won't mind holdin' still while we poke around, to avoid any... unfortunate misunnerstandins."

He turns to Krassus, who has still not regained his composure, looking very unsure of himself. "We'll start with the stash. Where is it, Krassus?"

Diplomacy: 1 success

[sblock=Status]
  • Cillani, Papolstaanas, and Kaeysari yet to go this round.
  • 2 "major" skill checks made this round so the rest this round can be "aid another" if desired.
  • +2 to next Intimidate check
  • +2 to next Bluff or other check involving signs and omens
[/sblock]
[sblock=Diplomacy offer...]Okay, so Jynxx has offered to let the mercs take the stashed zocalti. I'm thinking that maybe some of the other PCs might not be happy with this idea? ;) Anyone can call off the deal, but the diplomacy success will be converted into a failure if so.

Alternatively, someone could try to renegotiate the deal... like maybe offering to split the stash in half, or maybe something else. Success at a DC 20 Diplomacy check gets them to accept the modification but isn't a success in the challenge. Failing such a check would be a failure in the challenge, however.

(Jynxx's Words of Friendship power has recharged since you just had a short rest, so that could come in handy if you do try to renegotiate.)[/sblock]

[sblock=Skill Challenge: Face Down the Ruffians]

Level 1, Complexity 2: 6 successes before 3 failures.

Success: The ruffians back down without a fight.

Failure: Fight!

Note: This challenge is optional... you might want to avoid a fight to save some resources, plus you might pick up some clues by engaging them in a conversation. However, at any time you can go straight to combat. Merely draw your weapons. They will be happy to oblige!

Procedure: We'll go in "rounds". Each PC makes one check per round. At least two of these checks must be primary or secondary skill checks "for effect", meaning that the check counts towards the success and failure counts in the challenge. The other checks may be aid another checks (see below).

Successes with some skills might unlock others or give additional bonuses on top of granting a success in the challenge.

Primary Skills (DC 15*): Intimidate (max 3 successes), Bluff (max 2 successes), Streetwise (max 2 successes), Religion (max 1 success), Arcana (max 1 success), Diplomacy (DC 22, max 1 success)

Secondary Skills (DC 20): any, be creative! Max one success per skill. (Powers might work too.)

Diplomacy (DC 20): Jynxx offered to let the thugs take Krassus' stash. If anyone wants to try to modify that deal, it will take a DC 20 check to convince them. Success here doesn't add a success to the challenge (but failure would add a failure).

Aid Another (DC 10/15): In addition to using the same skill as being used for the primary check (i.e., using Intimidate to aid Intimidate), you can use another skill if you can describe a way in which it makes sense (i.e., using Athletics to look strong to aid Intimidate). It's DC 10 when using the same skill, or DC 15 when using a different skill, but I will give circumstance bonuses for good ideas and descriptions when using different skills. Powers might work too. A successful Aid Another check gives +2 to the main skill check; failure has no effect.

* - FYI, I go with the pre-errata DCs, I think the errataed ones are just too low. But I'm pretty generous with circumstance bonuses for good ideas and roleplaying[/sblock]

Last edited:

Mewness

First Post
[sblock=ooc]I think we might be better off canceling that offer and eating the failure, but I attempted to write my contribution in such a way as to keep our options open. This is an attempted assist to whatever interpersonal skill check seems relevant. If it did help, it would do so by making the thugs laugh, I guess, but it's a failure unless some sort of circumstance bonus rescues it :) 1d20-1=7[/sblock]
Papolstaanas stares at the thugs in complete astonishment for several seconds, before actually breaking into a sickly grin.

“I can’t believe it!” he says to Krassus.These are the people you’re dealing with?” He turns back to the thugs. “I thought... There I thought I had left all that behind, all of Bacarte and all its people who are always out to--and it’s so funny, I’ve been away less than a week, and I’m already getting shaken down! He breaks into a peal of laughter that sounds a little hysterical. “I could swear I’m actually back at ho--You are from Bacarte, aren’t you? I think, I think you are. I almost think I must have ruh, run into you before..."--he points at one of them--"at Trask’s bar, maybe... Maybe not... I’m teh, terrible with faces. Especially, especially hobgoblin fa--You don’t know Sesseneek, by any chance, wouldn’t that be funny!” Papolstaanas breaks into giggles again, suddenly reminded of one of his more loutish brothers. “Well, but listen... There’s, there’s a problem. We can’t, um, can’t give you this stuff. I don't think we can. I mean, it isn’t even ours to give, for one thing, that is, it’s not even Krassus’s to give, and we're supposed to bring back five bushels, for another, and with the trees all, all burnt, I don’t think we’re getting it anywhere else. We, we just can’t,” he finishes, sounding a little doubtful.

BenBrown

First Post
[sblock=ooc]I really can't think of what to do other than challenging their leader to an arm-wrestling match so Kaeysari could use athletics. Kaeysari is a decent fighter, but about as intimidating as a lhasa apso. Her one relevant skill is religion, but since Azryah has already gotten our statutory one success on that, it's out.[/sblock]

Remove ads