Adventure: Food of the Gods (DM: ryryguy, Judge: renau1g)

Mewness

First Post
"Hey!" Papolstaanas yells accusingly as the impact of Chaku's maul spatters him with mud. Then, hearing the goliath's laughter, he turns around, swinging his own oversized hammer in an extravagant arc so that it, too, smashes into the ground (Papolstaanas nearly falls over backwards again during the windup). Mud splatters everywhere, covering the kobold and one of Chaku's legs. "Ha!" Papolstaanas shouts triumphantly, even though he has gotten far more mud on himself than on Chaku.

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=ooc]MUD FIGHT! :D

Sorry, my wednesday night unexpectedly exploded... now I'm afraid I probably won't be able to update until Saturday morning. (First post of an encounter takes a bit longer.) Sorry for the delays.[/sblock]

LadyLaw

First Post
[sblock=ooc]The mud fight is definitely amusing. I feel bad saying nothing, but Az wouldn't really be responding much to this. I am here though, just to let people know.[/sblock]

ryryguy

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Ooh boy, can't believe how busy my weekend has been... I'm starting to work on an update now. Hopefully I will get it posted tonight![/sblock]
[sblock=update]It's about 75% ready but not quite going to get there tonight. :( Sorry all, there will definitely be an update Monday evening, I double dog promise![/sblock]

Last edited:

Mezegis

First Post
While Chaku waits for the teacher to collect her things and the others to pursue the productive reason for their visit, he entertains himself, Papolstaanas, and any child who joins in, with a rousing game of mud toss. The game is quite simple, collect large amounts of mud in your hand, and toss it at another player. Mid game, he debates trying to hit Jynxx’s fancy hat, or Azryah in general, but decides that if they wanted to play, they would have joined in already. Oh well, their loss, he mutters, before wheeling around to try and grab Papol for a good dunking in an unusually sloppy mudpile.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Jynxx stares at the statue... he was missing something, he was sure of it... The mud, the statue...

Jynxx looks at his companions playing in the mud. What was so special about the mud? Why was there so much of it. "Where did you find this statue at?" A thought suddenly occurs to Jynxx, "Come! Out of the mud! I fear there is something afoul in it that I do not want following us if we are to defend this school."

Mezegis

First Post
Chaku looks to Jynxx as he yells, shrugs, and leaves the patch, carrying any fellow players with him. He then does his best to scrape off as much of the mud as he can.

ryryguy

First Post
Encounter 5: School Pasture

Doh, I missed the above two posts before writing this... let's just say that Jynxx's warning comes just a moment before the creature appears. (And don't worry, there is nothing toxic or anything about the mud itself.)

The children screech laugh as they join in the mud fight. Hyza looks a bit exasperated, but doesn't try to stop them, only telling them not to go into the pasture. They cluster around the gate and behind the fence, while Jaronel runs back and forth, gathering up mud for them to throw.

After one of the children scores a particularly good hit on Chaku, the goliath roars in mock anger and slams his maul into the ground once more. Not only does mud fly, but also the ground shakes perceptably. Confused, the combatants fall silent and hold their fire as the ground continues to shift and rumble beneath their feet. The entire pasture is shaking! The cows low nervously and stamp their feet.

Then, in a shower of mud, dirt and rock, a huge serpentine form erupts from the earth in the center of the pasture! Not a snake nor an insect, but some bizarre amalgam, it has short legs set around a round body encased in chitonous scales. Its hissing head towers ten feet above a terrified cow, nasty-looking mandibles clicking, smoking fluid dripping from its maw...

The poor animal is frozen, trembling with fear, although one of the others immediately breaks into a run, slamming into the pasture fence, breaking through the barrier. It looks like it will keep going into the forest.

After a moment of stunned silence, the tiefling girl lets out a piercing scream of terror, and is soon joined by the other children (and Jaronel). Hyza looks shaken but tries to calm the children and starts to herd them back up the hill away from the pasture. Cillani, who had kept her distance from the pasture, moves to assist. "Snap out of it, Jaronel!" she says sharply, tugging at the lad. He shakes his head to clear it and begins helping too.

[sblock=Perception DC 15]The tremors have subsided, but the ground is still shaking slightly, and ripples are visible in the mud patches here and there. It seems there are more creatures moving under the ground or in the mud, but you can't pinpoint their locations. But there seems to be at least one (if not more) under each of the four big mud patches.[/sblock]
[sblock=Init]Azryah; Chaku; Jynxx; Kaeysari; Papolstaanas;Enemy (1d20+1=2, 1d20+2=18, 1d20+1=6, 1d20+3=4, 1d20+3=17, 1d20+10=17)
No surprise... Chaku won initiative and may act before the snake thing. Then it will take its turn, then back to the players' turn...[/sblock]
[sblock=Initial Positions]
I placed the PCs in spots that seemed reasonable based on the described actions - everyone just inside the pasture with Chaku and Papolstaanas ahead in the first muddy patch.

If it seems to anyone that your character would be someplace different, let me know. I did not place Chaku or Papolstaans inside a mud patch since it is hindering terrain that would require a skill check at the start of their turn, and I didn't want to force that on them without warning. But if Mezegis or Mewness would prefer to start a square or two further south inside the mud patch that's fine. Also, if anyone wants to be outside the pasture (not shown on the map) assume it's just clear terrain on the other side of the fence.[/sblock]
[sblock=Status]
18 Chaku - G11 - 40/40 (10/10) AP: 1
17 --- ENEMIES ---
Large Snake Creature - P11/Q12 - no damage
---------------
17 Papolstaanas - H9 40/40 (12/12) AP: 1
6 Jynxx - E6 - 29/29 (8/8) AP: 1
4 Kaeysari - G6 - 39/39 (10/10) AP: 1
2 Azryah - E4 - 34/34 (9/9) AP: 1
[/sblock]

[sblock=Terrain]
Pasture Fence This low wooden fence provides cover to creatures behind it. It takes a DC 10 Athletics check to climb or hurdle it. (There are gaps in it as well.)

Deep Mud The entire pasture is fairly muddy, but the brown areas are especially deep mud. When a character enters or starts his turn in an area of deep mud, he is slowed until the end of his turn, unless he succeeds at a DC 15 athletics check. (You only must make the check once per turn - if you succeed, you can move normally in the mud for the rest of the turn.)

Stream difficult terrain

Rocks/Boulders - difficult terrain, and provide cover. [/sblock]
[sblock=Enemies]
Huge snakey creature
HP ??, bloodied ??
AC ??, Fort ??, Ref 13, Will ??
Basic Attack: Claw +8 vs AC; 1d8+5 damage
[/sblock]
[sblock=Map]
school_1.png
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Mezegis

First Post
Chaku, having originally expected something in the mud, isn't taken by surprise at all, and had started rushing it as soon as the snakethings head sprouted from the ground. The massive barbarian plows through the mud with ease before unleashing a bellowing roar that echo's throughout the field, coming to an end in a CRACK! of shattering chitin as the maul connects soundly with the beast.

[sblock=Mechanics]Athletics check for mud: 1d20+11=17
Move/Standard: Howling Strike Charge to O11: 1d20+8+1=23 3d6+7=19 1d8=8 pretty sure that's a hit for 27 damage! If it's a miss, we need to run, since I don't hit much more accurately than that lol.[/sblock]

LadyLaw

First Post
Azryah steadies herself as the ground shakes and sighs inwardly as Chaku rushes off to smash the giant snake creature that appeared. She makes to go after him, but stops as she soon sees something moving in the deeper sections of mud.

"Look out," she warns the others. "There is something crawling in the deep sections still. It is likely there are more of these things."

[sblock=Mechanics]
Perception Check:
1d20+10=30
[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc] I'm sorry. I totally brain-freezed that we weren't all moving. Guess I'm just itching to get going. Hehe. I deleted my whole action here and I'll make a new thing when it's actually my turn. Perception check should stand though, I'd imagine. If not, we'll all just pretend she said nothing...[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads