[Adventure] Rage of the Savage Lands (DM: Dekana, Judge: TwoHeadsBarking)

Dekana

Explorer
A minute or two later, Toeto returns from the quarterdeck with the man in the blue overcoat. He welcomes you all aboard and introduces himself as Captain Soule. He apologizes in advance for any discomfort you may experience during the trip; the Bloated Whale is not a passenger ship, after all. He sets some basic rules that you should follow during the voyage, the most important of which is "stay out of the way." The trip will take a little less than two weeks.

The captain then finds an idle crewmember and has him show you to your cabin. It is a tightly packed with all seven bunks and a few pieces of cheap furniture, including decently sized table. The whole room is divided in half by a curtain across its entire length. Apparently, the men and women will have to share.

The ship departs the harbor while you are still unpacking.

---

After everyone is settled in, Toeto calls everyone to the table.

"Great, thanks for coming. I, ah, first wanted to apologize again for the room. It is, um, smaller than I was expecting." She looks specifically at the curtain. "A-and, I know I did not say much before. About the plague, I mean."

She leads into a detailed account of the disaster that struck her village. It takes the better part of the morning to get the whole tale out of her, although she stutters a little less after she gets into the story.

Three or four months ago, rumors began to reach the village about a great sickness ravaging the nearby blackscale tribes. It was no ordinary illness like Scalerot or Gasping Breath - no, this plague was much more insidious. Those affected by it began to see dark shadows moving instead of people, as if experiencing a waking nightmare. Each victim responded differently, but most became increasingly paranoid and violent until they finally succumbed to madness. Worse yet, the cause of the plague could never be determined - it spread even when the sick were banished or quarantined. Contact was lost from the surrounding tribes one by one, until hunters from Toeto's village found themselves being attacked by roving bands of mindless lizardfolk. Then the plague spread to her own tribe.

The most powerful shaman of the tribe, an older lizardfolk named Sliska, advised Chieftain Dartak to order a mass exodus from the region. The Chieftain, a strong warrior, would permit nothing less than a stoic last stand. He dealt harshly with the sickened, ordering them executed and the bodies burned. He had defensive pikes constructed to surround the entire village and let the hunters kill anyone they encountered. And so the village slowly withered, both from sickness and tyrannical violence. For her own part, Toeto tried to come up with new grindings of plants as medicine. However, the spirits eventually revealed to the young shaman that the plague was a "sickness of the mind," not of the physical world. No cure could be manufactured.

One night, the situation came to a terrible conclusion. The Chieftain himself had been taken by the madness. Backed by his guard (perhaps also ill, perhaps not), he personally began to slaughter every member of the village, sick or not. At this sight, most villagers panicked and ran deep into the swamp to hide. Toeto herself was teleported by Sliska out of the tribe to Daunton. Sliska declared that there was still hope for the Lizardfolk - the spirits had revealed as much. The cure lay in an entirely different land, and it would be Toeto's destiny to find it after a long quest.

Toeto looks to Scarm and adds, "It wasn't that I didn't trust you. I j-just didn't think I was ready to return until now."

Mewness

First Post
"Harold" bows to Jarel-karn and Beatrice. "A very great pleasure, indeed."

[sblock=Velmont]Good to see Jarel-karn is still kicking around. I think he was in the very first adventure I played here :)[/sblock]

[sblock=Scarmiglione's stats, finally]Scarmiglione Harold Male Kenku Rogue|Sorcerer 8
Initiative: +9, Passive Perception: 19, Passive Insight: 14, Senses: Low-light vision
AC:23, Fort:17, Reflex:22, Will:21; Resist 5 psychic
HP:59/59, Bloodied:29, Surge Value:14, Surges left:7/7
Action Points: 1
Blazing Starfall
Sly Flourish

Explosive Pyre
Low Slash
Spark Form
Swift Parry
Songmaster’s Boon (item)
Boots of the Fencing Master (item)
Second Wind

Trick Strike
Thunder Leap
Deep Shroud
Shadowdance Armor (item)
Lucky Charm (item)

Phase of the Sun: At the start of my turn, each enemy adjacent to me takes 2 fire and radiant damage; resist 5 cold
Phase of the Moon: Bonus to AC equal to number of conscious adjacent enemies; resist 5 psychic
Phase of the Stars: Whenever an enemy's attack misses me, I can teleport 2 as a free action; resist 5 radiant

First Time Bloodied: Change immediately to next phase.

Conditions: phase of the moon

Note: When Scarmiglione shifts, he gains a +1 item bonus to AC and Reflex until EONT (from boots of the fencing master)

Full sheet: Scarmiglione[/sblock]

Luinnar

First Post
Oh my, I don't like this! Beatrice says spotting the curtains. Looks like I'll have to protect you girls from peeping toms and sailors! Never you worry dear, she says patting the gigantic Eithal on the hand. Anyone who tries any funny business will be thrown overboard as fast as you can say jackrabbit! she says in a motherly voice

Oh my, so terrible! Beatrice remarks after hearing Toeto's tale. Sounds like we need to start a little lizard folk rebellion if you ask me! Would you like to be queen dear? I'm sure they will clamor to make you their leader after you cure them!

Velmont

First Post
"Just a silly question like that. If you are coming back to your homeland, it is because you have the cure, right?" asks Jarel-karn, wondering in what he have set sail to.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Damen smiles somewhat at the arrangement, but adds nothing. When Jarel-karn raises his question, Damen says, I'll shoot anything you need all day, but unless I'm killing anything that was affected, then I'm assuming she has the cure as well.

Dekana

Explorer
Toeto glances to the side to avoid Jarel-karn's gaze (and question). She answers, "I-it might not be s-so simple. I have some ideas, yes. But I will need to research more. I'll need a t-t... a test subject, certainly. That's where you all come in, to subdue one. And I want to commune with the spirits of the swamp; they m-must know more about the s-sickness."

At this point, the shaman looks to the floor beside her chair. "I know, I'm not blaming you. ... No, I don't think that."

[sblock=Eithal, Scarmiglione, Yishim]You remember, of course, that Toeto usually travels with a ghostly basilisk that can disappear and reappear in this plane of existence at will.[/sblock]

Luinnar

First Post
I'll need a t-t... a test subject, certainly.
Oh is that all you needed dear? Well my grandson has a lot of those. If you want to swing by his place I'm sure you could pick from whoever you wanted.

Or perhaps you would want somebody from your swamp?
She adds as an afterthought. I don't think Richard has any of those.

Velmont

First Post
"Sounds risky... but we are not getting paid for a cake walk. I just hope, in the end, the test subject will not be one of us." replies Jarel-karn.

Dekana

Explorer
The shaman makes a belayed response to Beatrice. "That's okay. I can't really picture myself as queen..."

"Sounds risky... but we are not getting paid for a cake walk. I just hope, in the end, the test subject will not be one of us." replies Jarel-karn.
Toeto responds with a bit of hiss in her voice: "Certainly not!" But she then looks down to the table again, embarrassed by her outburst. "I-I mean, I wouldn't f-force that on you. Maybe if you get r-really s-sick, but I would just try to cure you. But anyway, I don't think the disease is actually contagious, f-from what I saw."

---

A few days pass, and the heroes gradually become accustomed to life at sea. There is little to do in the passenger's cabin, so they often find themselves on the deck where there is more light and a warm breeze.

Despite the captain's "stay out of the way" advice, the ship's crew members welcome any help in their work if it is offered.

Toeto spends much of this time in the cabin, poring over her ritual book and other arcane notes.

OOC: The trip at sea is a full two weeks, so I'm going to skip ahead a few days. Is there anything in particular your characters would like to do during the trip?

Remove ads