[Adventure] Serpent's Skull: Souls for Smuggler's Shiv (DM: Mewness; Judge: THB)

BenBrown

First Post
As the ship casts off, Hú Lí bustles excitedly about the deck, trying to see everything happening at once.

I think there's more to it, but I always liked that one...
Alkas says, his eyes staring far off in the water.

Hú Lí takes out her flute and plays a few bars of the tune. Her playing has a strange quality to it, as though her flute is tuned unusually, but the sound is clear and the tune is well played.

"I do not know this tune," she says, "but it is pleasant and the words are inspiring. If you remember more words, perhaps you will sing them sometime. I would enjoy that."

Pentius

First Post
As the ship leaves the harbor, crowded docks give way to open water. The sounds of the city give way to the chatter of the passengers and the sound of a light sea breeze playing over the sail. Noriaki smiles as he looks over the water and remembers Hu Li's song. It was one he had heard many times before, but he had never realized how big the sea really was. He turns to the others, a hint of sadness in his voice. "My old teacher used to tell me of how he traveled on a ship when he was a young man. I suppose a short journey like this isn't much, though. I wonder what the Valley will be like?"

twilsemail

First Post
"Full of adventure, I hope. It's been a while since I've crossed swords with a worthy foe..." The captain looks a might bit whistful and one of the Fitzpatricks jumps at an idea.

"Captain, do you think we'll be attacked by a kracken? How exciting! I'm going to go keep an eye out." He runs off before the captain ever has a chance to point out that these waters are likely too shallow for a kracken. Scant moments later he can be seen scaling the rigging, heading for the top of the mast, regardless of the presence or lack-there-of of a crow's nest.

Mewness

First Post
The sailors seem to be in good spirits; the fine weather and steady wind promise an uneventful trip. Sasha continues to socialize with Noriaki and Takahaan (and also Captain Dartmoor, when he gets tired of looking out for the kraken). Aerys has a few drinks, sings some sailor songs with Alkas (it appears that she is also from Bacarte, and knows a lot of the same songs), gets rather merry, and challenges everyone to a game that involves coming up with lines of verse (original or not) according to some simple rules. Sasha and Gelik both participate: Sasha is terrible at it (though she laughs good-naturedly at her failings), but Gelik turns out to be very good, although he has an annoying gift for choosing lines that are insulting to the other players--Sasha eventually loses her temper at one of his jibes and quits the game in a huff. Ishirou remains quiet and dour and does not play, although he does observe the game. The scholarly woman, whose name turns out to be Ieana, takes little interest in the proceedings.

[sblock=Insight 19 (active or passive)]Gelik only gets more unpleasant when people take offense at his mean sense of humor, and he seems to have a certain amount of contempt for people who can’t take a “harmless joke” without getting rattled.[/sblock]

The hours pass calmly, only briefly disturbed by signs of coming fog that Captain Kovack corrects his course to avoid. Toward evening, Kovack invites his passengers down to his cabin for supper, and the meal is cheerful and crowded, with Aerys making toasts and a couple of the Irregulars ladeling soup while trying to conceal the fact that one of their number has fallen into the tureen...

...And that’s the last thing you remember.

The adventurers awake to the feel of sand against their backs, salt on their skin, and the bright sun glowing through their eyelids. They lie on a beach strewn with their belongings and the bodies of other passengers--dead or living, it is difficult to tell. Captain Dartmoor’s army is scattered--piskies and grigs lie face up and face down, some in the sand, some being pushed and pulled about by foamy water.

But there is no time to think about what disaster could have left them all stranded on this beach, sick and half-drowned: Alkas feels something cold nudge his face, and realizes that it is the pincer of a lobster-like creature the size of a dog. Many more are emerging from the waves.

GM: Fight! (I guess it was kind of bizarre to put that insight check in just before a fight. Oh well.)

Special rules for this fight:

All PCs begin prone and down 2 healing surges. You are all wearing your usual armor or clothes, but carrying nothing else--all of your other possessions are on the sand (they are considered to be in I7 or G10, where the grey boxes are on the map).

The Dartmoor Irregulars begin the fight unconscious (save ends) owing to having failed the Endurance check earlier. A conscious character who is adjacent to Dartmoor may, as a standard action, attempt to wake him up, which immediately grants him a saving throw against this condition. Dartmoor also wakes up immediately if he takes damage. (Of course, once Dartmoor is awake, he automatically wakes up the rest of the Irregulars.)

Any PC can retrieve an item (theirs or someone else’s) as a minor action if he or she is adjacent to either of the grey boxes (doesn’t matter which one).

It also takes a minor action to either give an item to someone else (who wants to take it) or to take an item from someone else (who wants to hand it over).

The NPCs are unconscious and stay that way even if damaged, because they are inferior beings.

Terrain: the light blue area represents shallow water and is difficult terrain.

[sblock=Initiative]Initiative (includes Combat Leader bonus) for Alkas; Hu Li; Castile; Dartmoor; Noriaki; Takahaan; Bad Guys (1d20+3=10, 1d20+3=20, 1d20+3=17, 1d20+2=13, 1d20+5=21, 1d20+4=15, 1d20+2=15)

Hú Lí, Castile, Noriaki, and Takahaan get to go first, before the bugs.[/sblock]

[sblock=status]PCs
Alkas (K6) HP 35/35; surges 11/13; prone, unarmed, shieldless
Castile (G11) HP 33/33; surges 11/13; prone, unarmed, shieldless
Dartmoor (J7) HP 28/28; surges 8/10; prone, unarmed, unconscious (save ends)
Hú Lí (H8) HP 24/24; surges 6/8; prone, unarmed
Noriaki (G12) HP 27/27; surges 7/9; prone, unarmed
Takahaan (I8) HP 24/24; surges 6/8; prone, unarmed, shieldless

NPCs
Aerys (H11) HP 29/29 unconscious, prone
Dwarf you’ve never seen before (J8) HP 28/28 unconscious, prone
Gelik (I9) HP 22/22 unconscious, prone
Ishirou (I6) HP 24/24 unconscious, prone
Sasha (H10) HP 23/23 unconscious, prone

Bad Guys
Eurypterid 1 (L6)
Eurypterid 2 (K9)
Eurypterid 3 (K11)
Eurypterid 4 (J13)
Eurypterid 5 (N5)
Eurypterid 6 (O8)
Eurypterid 7 (O10)
Eurypterid 8 (L8)
Eurypterid 9 (M12)
Eurypterid 10 (L15)

Misc
Equipment (I7, G10)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Enemy Stats: Eurypterid]Eurypterid
AC 15, Fort 13, Ref 14, Will 12; HP 1 (minion)
:bmelee: pincers +5 vs. AC, 6 damage (or 9 against immobilized, restrained, or helpless target)[/sblock]

Attachments

• CastawayBeach1.jpg
    CastawayBeach1.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:

Pentius

First Post
Noriaki awakes suddenly, laying on his back in the sand. He snaps to attention, his mind focused on getting the worst of the damage under control. He leaps up from the sands, shaking off the worst of it before it can do his fine clothing any more harm. Glancing about, his eyes lock onto the most important detail of the scene: the location of his katana. Noriaki leaps over Castile's prone form, landing in the sand between Hu Li and an unconscious Sasha. His hand closes around the saya of his katana, laid carelessly in the sand. Putting it through his sash again, he is whole, and ready to assess the minor details.

[sblock=Mechanics]
Move action: stand from prone.
Standard: move to H9
Minor: retrieve weapon[/sblock]

[sblock=Noriaki]
Noriaki Matsumoto
Male Human Thaneborn Barbarian 1
Initiative: +3(+5 with Takahaan)
Passive Perception: 10
Passive Insight: 11
Senses: Normal

AC:17
Fort:17
Reflex:15
Will:13
HP:27/27
Bloodied:13
Surges left:7/9
Surge Value:6
Action Points: 1
MBA: +7 to hit, 1d12+4 damage

Howling Strike
Pressing Strike

Escalating Violence []
Howl of Triumph []
Heroic Effort []
Second Wind []

Swift Panther Rage [] [/sblock]

GROMkill

First Post
"Hmprh..." grumbles Takahaan as he rises from the soft, damp sand and quickly regains his wits. Grabbing the Piskie Captain, who was sprawled on the ground, drooling, Takahaan shakes his torso, rougly. "Wake up, dammit. This is not the time for slumber, little one!" Turning from the Irregular, Takahaan seizes his nodachi in his tough, strong grip, pulling it from its place in the sand, where it is lying partially covered in sand and debris.

[sblock="OOC"]

Move: Stand up from prone
Standard: Shake Dartmoor Irregulars
Minor: Pick up nodachi

I dunno if it is too late to say this, but I found my perfect picture for Takahaan, minus the wrong weapons being held. If it is possible, could I have it in future maps? :D

Takahaan's Picture[/sblock]

[sblock=Takahaan]Takahaan Thanazashi Male Dragonborn Bravura Warlord 1
Initiative: +2
Passive Perception: 10
Passive Insight: 9
Senses: Normal

AC:17
Fort:15
Reflex:13
Will:15
HP:24/24
Bloodied:12
Surge Value:7
Surges left:6/8
Action Points: 1
Brash Assault
Intuitive Strike

Dragon Breath
Inspiring Word
Vengeance Is Mine

Lamb to the Slaughter

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dekana

Explorer
Castile is rather comfortable lying in the sand... that is, until she fully regains consciousness and realizes how much her body aches. "I knew it" she mutters as she stands up. "Boats are deathtraps... And what are THOSE?!" she cries out as the strange-lobster army comes into view. The closest one is almost on top of Aerys, so Castile decides to act fast. She grabs her axe from among the debris and charges into the shallows! "Stay back you bugs! Back!"

For the first time in her life, Castile strikes at an enemy with her axe in anger (or perhaps it's more like panic). Her training apparently did not go to waste: with a lunging overhead blow, she cleaves the closest bug in two.

[sblock=Castile stat block / actions]Actions
Move: Stand up.

Minor: Pick up Waraxe.

Standard: Charge to J12! MBA vs Eurypterid 4 hits AC 24 for 14 damage, and Castile gains 4 THP. (1d20+6+1=24;1d12+6=14). Actually it should be 15 damage since it's a versatile weapon, not that it matters for the poor 1 hit point bug.

PC:Castile (Dekana) - L4W Wiki- Female Dwarf Fighter 1
Passive Perception: 17, Passive Insight: 12
AC:16, Fort:16, Reflex:11, Will:12, +5 saves vs poison, Speed:5
HP:33/33 + 4 THP, Bloodied:16, Surge Value:8, Surges left:11/13
Initiative +1
Action Points: 1 (encounter)

Conditions
Not using shield. AC and Reflex are adjusted above.

Powers
Battack.gif
Waraxe, +6 vs AC, 1d12+6 damage (see Combat notes below)
Combat Challenge
Crushing Surge, Weapon Master's Strike
Dwarven Resilience, Hack and Hew
Villain's Menace

Combat notes: +2 damage with THP, +2 to attack roll on OAs, OAs stop enemy movement
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Dekana

Explorer
[sblock=terrain]Sorry, I'm a little confused. What kind of terrain is J12? I only see the one kind of difficult terrain listed (light blue), but there are also some white squares near on the beach.[/sblock]

BenBrown

First Post
Hú Lí gets to her feet and looks around somewhat bewildered at her surroundings.

"Where are we?" she asks, "What happened to us? Why are we being attacked?"

She reaches down and instead of arming herself picks up her flute and begins playing. There is a strange quality to the music, weird and unnatural, but nothing really happens, so it's unclear why she does this.[sblock=actions]Move: Stand up
Minor: Pick up flute
Standard: Vicious Mockery vs. Eurypterid #2 (1d20+4=5) miss.

Insight Roll on ship (1d20+8=9)[/sblock][sblock=Hú Lí]The Black Fox Fox Spirit (Changeling) Bard 1
Initiative: +1, Passive Perception: 18, Passive Insight: 16
AC:17, Fort:11, Reflex:14, Will:16

:bmelee: +2 vs. AC, 1d6-1 damage

HP:24/24, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:6, Surges left:6/8
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: unused
Powers: Fox Spirit Disguise, Wild Shape, Staggering Note, Vicious Mockery
Blunder, Fox Spirit Trick, Grasping Claws, Majestic Word x2, Words of Friendship
Stirring Shout[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads