Adventurer's Wanted!

industrygothica

Adventurer
Leif said:
I'm going to do my level best to have my character posted by tonight. The problem that I have is that I can't find the chart for the point-buy anywhere on any srd that I can find. Right now that's all that's holding me up from making a character. Here, once again, is what I am able to do without being able to complete a good point-buy for abilities:

Uulark Simental volunteered for the Army of Greyhawk when he was just sixteen. Being the eldest son of a General and war hero carries with it expectations that are sometimes unreasonable, and quite unattainable. Uulark had the desire to be a great soldier and officer, but it was apparent to everyone that he did not have his father's gift for command, nor his ability to inspire the instant loyalty of his men. Dissatisfied with the prospect of being relegated to being just another faceless soldier (a grim fate for a commander's son), he sought solace in more spiritual pursuits. In the Church of Kord, Uulark found his true calling, and his power grew steadily. But the shame of his failure in the army continued to gnaw at Uulark, and eventually life at home became unbearable. That was when Uulark decided to leave the comforts of home and set out to find adventure in Irongate.

Uulark is Fighter 1/ Ceric (Kord) 5. hp=32+con bonus if any. Alignment=Lawful Neutral (if that's allowable for a cleric of Kord, otherwise Neutral Good, if that's allowable). I want Uulark to be heavy on dex, have Weapon Finesse, and Weapon Focus - Rapier. He'll wear leather armor and carry a light wooden shield. The shield will not always be used, so it will be slung across his back when he's not using it. As for magic items, I definitely want the best magic leather armor available for less than 4,300 gp, assuming that there is one. I'd also like a wand of cure light wounds if I can afford that, too, and maybe a magic rapier.

That's about all I can do without being able to do the 28 pt buy for stats. I hope I make it in time this evening!

The point buy system is in the DMG, if you have one available. Otherwise, try this.

Seems a but strange to me that a cleric of Kord would focus on dexterity and use, as Jonas would say, a knitting needle for a weapon, but if you can make it work, more power to you.

Kord is chaotic good, so a lawful neutral alignment wouldn't work, but neutral good will.

Scotley

Hero
Hey Leif, the point buy can be found at the bottom of page 169 in the DMG. Since you are unlikely to have the book with you it goes something like this:

9=1 point
10=2
11=3
12=4
13=5
14=6
15=8
16=10
17=13
18=16

renau1g

First Post
Ok, so you're looking for a cleric. Scrap the dwarf and change to a human. Living in a small farming thorp Ellian Morlund and his family lived a simple life worried only about the simple things in life. Ellian was 14 years old when his life was changed. His father, brothers, and he were tending to the crops when a group of ten black-cloaked riders swept in upon the villiage. They cut down all the adult men and threw the women, elderly, and young into chains. Ellian and company were hooded and loaded into a wagon. They were brought underground and later sold to the highest bidder. Ellian was taken away by a fat, slavering man, once home he proceeded to beat Ellian within an inch of his life, telling him "This is how you break in dogs". These "lessons" were repeated daily until Ellian was no more than a shell, a defeated husk of a man. He worked as instructed serving the man and was rewarded with a swift kick or backhand for even the slightest mistake. After 3 years of this abuse Ellian was lying in his "bed" (pile of rags) and wondering if he had the strength in him to end his own torment. Falling asleep, he dreamt that he was standing in front of young man with red-gold hair, tall and well-built, wearing a chainmail shirt with clothes of blue. There was an unmistakable aura of power surrounding this man. The man didn't say anything, just threw a spear down at Ellian's feet and nodded. When he awoke Ellian grabbed his broom snapped off the head, making a makeshift spear. He strode through his oppressors home and found the man gorging on decadent foods abusing one of his female slaves. Seeing Ellian the man stood up and reached for his whip, with one swift movement struck Ellian hard. Feeling the sting Ellian ignored it and drove the "spear" deep into the man, saying "Your torment is over, Trithereon sends his regards". Not fully comprehending what just happened or who Trithereon even was, Ellian ran as fast as he could. He didn't know where to go and was running through a maze of alleys when he crashed into a man reminiscent of the man from his dreams, but slightly shorter and with brown hair. "Relax young man, you're safe now" This man explained himself as a cleric of Trithereon and that he was sent a vision of a boy that he was to teach. And so began their training, Ellian was immediately drawn to the ideals of individuality, liberty, retribution, and self-defense that Trithereon stood for. He vowed to never again allow what evils befell him to happen to others and once he'd turned 20 he left the cleric and ventured out into the world sworn to help those who can't help themselves and fight oppression where he sees it.

Cleric (Trithereon) 6, LG

Stats:
STR 14, DEX 12, CON 14, INT 10, WIS 15, CHA 12

Ellian will carry a spear as his primary weapon, preferably a changling one. He'll wear heavier armour to make up for the lack of a shield.

Let me know if you want me to post a character sheet.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Need some rulings on non-core material:

Feat:

Educated (featured in ECS and FRCS): Makes all Knowledge skills class skills for character.

"I Forget The Real Name, But It's The Reserve Feat That Lets You Shoot Lightning" (featured in Complete Mage): The character can emit a 20' line of lightning that does 1d6 damage per each level of the highest level electricity spell he has prepared/known.

Also, I'm interested in taking Improved Familiar and getting an air mephit, though it may have to wait until next level. Would that be acceptable? It's core...but the mephits, along with pseudodragons and imps, represent high-end creatures to be familiars. I like to make sure. :)

Leif

Adventurer
Thanks, Scotley!! You're a life saver! I'll stat Uulark out right now!

UPDATE! Uulark has stats! See post #30. (And I fixed the alignment problem, oops.)

Last edited:

industrygothica

Adventurer
Shayuri said:
Need some rulings on non-core material:

Feat:

Educated (featured in ECS and FRCS): Makes all Knowledge skills class skills for character.

"I Forget The Real Name, But It's The Reserve Feat That Lets You Shoot Lightning" (featured in Complete Mage): The character can emit a 20' line of lightning that does 1d6 damage per each level of the highest level electricity spell he has prepared/known.

Also, I'm interested in taking Improved Familiar and getting an air mephit, though it may have to wait until next level. Would that be acceptable? It's core...but the mephits, along with pseudodragons and imps, represent high-end creatures to be familiars. I like to make sure. :)

Educated and Storm Bolt will both be fine. You'd have to wait until next level to get the air mephit, and I don't know when that's going to be, honestly.

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Alright, here's my submission for secondary healer. I think the best summary for the style of this character is Braveheart meets Boondock Saints.

Also, a question on non-core: there's a feat from Book of Exalted Deeds (which I know is a pretty questionable source) that seems pretty reasonable and would work nicely for me: Hands of a Healer, which gives +2 to charisma modifier for the purposes of calculating Lay on Hands. If you allow that, I'd take it in place of Power Attack.

[sblock=Character]
Caerwyn Thingol
Male Human Barbarian 1/Paladin of Freedom 5
Alignment: CG
Deity: Kord
Height: 5'6”
Weight: 130lbs
Hair: Black
Eyes: Brown
Skin: Tanned and scarred
XP: 6th level

Str: 18 (+4) [10 points, +2 Item]
Dex: 10 (+0) [2 points]
Con: 14 (+2) [6 points]
Int: 10 (+0) [0 points]
Wis: 10 (+0) [2 points]
Cha: 18 (+4) [8 points, +1 Level Boost, +2 Item]

Racial Abilities: 1 bonus feat at first level, +4 skill points at first level, +1 skill point/level past first

Class Abilities: Fast Movement, Rage 3/day (with feat), Aura of Good, Detect Evil, Smite Evil 2/day, Divine Grace, Lay on Hands (20 points/day), Aura of Resolve, Divine Health, Turn Undead 7/day, Special Mount.

Hit Dice: 1d12 + 5d10 + 12
HP: 51, +12 hp when raging
AC: 18 (+0 dex, +8 armor), 16 when Raging
Init: +0 (+0 Dex)
Speed: 30 ft (40 for Barbarian, Heavy Armor)

Saves:
Fortitude +12 [+6 base, +2 Con, +4 Divine Grace]
Reflex +5 [+1 base, +0 Dex, +4 Divine Grace]
Will +5 [+1 base, +0 Wis, +4 Divine Grace], +7 when Raging

BAB/Grapple: +6/+10
Melee Atk: Greatsword +12 (2d6+7, 19-20/x2)
Melee Full Atk: Greatsword +12/+7 (2d6+7, 19-20/x2)

Raging adds +2 to hit, +3 damage to all attacks.

Skills (16 from Barbarian, 10 from Paladin):
Diplomacy +8 (4 ranks from Paladin, +4 Cha)
Handle Animal +8 (4 ranks from Barbarian, +4 Cha)
Heal +8 (4 cc ranks from Barbarian, 6 from Paladin, +0 Wis)
Intimidate +8 (4 ranks from Barbarian, +4 Cha)
Ride +4 (4 ranks from Barbarian, +0 Dex)

Feats:
1st: Weapon Focus: Greatsword
Human Bonus: Extra Rage
3rd: Power Attack
6th: Sacred Healing

Languages: Common

Equipment:
+1 Greatsword (2,350gp)
+1 Half Plate (1,750gp)
Cloak of Charisma +2 (4,000gp)
Gauntlets of Ogre Strength +2 (4,000gp)
Bedroll (1sp)
Map Case (1gp)
Flint and Steel (1gp)
Trail Rations, 5 days (25sp)
Tent (10gp)
Military Saddle (20gp)
Chain Shirt Barding (400gp)

Money: 265gp, 4sp

I can stat out the mount if you want, but since you said we're going into the sewers I'm guessing it won't matter too much :)

Caerwyn Thingol doesn't look like a paladin of Kord. Standing around 5'6" tall and without a spare pound on him, the only thing that fits his occupation is the giant claymore he carries on his back at all time. Caerwyn is a driven man, born into near-slavery as a peasant he came up out of serfhood with a fierce dislike of aristocracy and a proud self-reliance...and a sizeable bounty on his head for banditry and inciting revolution.

Now this itinerant warrior and healer travels the land doing what he can to help those in need, and most specifically those oppressed or enslaved. He rarely gets along with more traditional holy warriors, who take exception to his concepts of quick and dirty justice, but he's become a bit of a folk hero in several small villages. Quick to laugh and quicker to fight, Caerwyn is a close friend and a dangerous enemy.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

industrygothica

Adventurer
Nac Mac Feegle said:
Alright, here's my submission for secondary healer. I think the best summary for the style of this character is Braveheart meets Boondock Saints.

Also, a question on non-core: there's a feat from Book of Exalted Deeds (which I know is a pretty questionable source) that seems pretty reasonable and would work nicely for me: Hands of a Healer, which gives +2 to charisma modifier for the purposes of calculating Lay on Hands. If you allow that, I'd take it in place of Power Attack.

[sblock=Character]
Caerwyn Thingol
Male Human Barbarian 1/Paladin of Freedom 5
Alignment: CG
Deity: Kord
Height: 5'6”
Weight: 130lbs
Hair: Black
Eyes: Brown
Skin: Tanned and scarred
XP: 6th level

Str: 18 (+4) [10 points, +2 Item]
Dex: 10 (+0) [2 points]
Con: 14 (+2) [6 points]
Int: 10 (+0) [0 points]
Wis: 10 (+0) [2 points]
Cha: 18 (+4) [8 points, +1 Level Boost, +2 Item]

Racial Abilities: 1 bonus feat at first level, +4 skill points at first level, +1 skill point/level past first

Class Abilities: Fast Movement, Rage 3/day (with feat), Aura of Good, Detect Evil, Smite Evil 2/day, Divine Grace, Lay on Hands (20 points/day), Aura of Resolve, Divine Health, Turn Undead 7/day, Special Mount.

Hit Dice: 1d12 + 5d10 + 12
HP: 51, +12 hp when raging
AC: 18 (+0 dex, +8 armor), 16 when Raging
Init: +0 (+0 Dex)
Speed: 30 ft (40 for Barbarian, Heavy Armor)

Saves:
Fortitude +12 [+6 base, +2 Con, +4 Divine Grace]
Reflex +5 [+1 base, +0 Dex, +4 Divine Grace]
Will +5 [+1 base, +0 Wis, +4 Divine Grace], +7 when Raging

BAB/Grapple: +6/+10
Melee Atk: Greatsword +12 (2d6+7, 19-20/x2)
Melee Full Atk: Greatsword +12/+7 (2d6+7, 19-20/x2)

Raging adds +2 to hit, +3 damage to all attacks.

Skills (16 from Barbarian, 10 from Paladin):
Diplomacy +8 (4 ranks from Paladin, +4 Cha)
Handle Animal +8 (4 ranks from Barbarian, +4 Cha)
Heal +8 (4 cc ranks from Barbarian, 6 from Paladin, +0 Wis)
Intimidate +8 (4 ranks from Barbarian, +4 Cha)
Ride +4 (4 ranks from Barbarian, +0 Dex)

Feats:
1st: Weapon Focus: Greatsword
Human Bonus: Extra Rage
3rd: Power Attack
6th: Sacred Healing

Languages: Common

Equipment:
+1 Greatsword (2,350gp)
+1 Half Plate (1,750gp)
Cloak of Charisma +2 (4,000gp)
Gauntlets of Ogre Strength +2 (4,000gp)
Bedroll (1sp)
Map Case (1gp)
Flint and Steel (1gp)
Trail Rations, 5 days (25sp)
Tent (10gp)
Military Saddle (20gp)
Chain Shirt Barding (400gp)

Money: 265gp, 4sp

I can stat out the mount if you want, but since you said we're going into the sewers I'm guessing it won't matter too much :)

Caerwyn Thingol doesn't look like a paladin of Kord. Standing around 5'6" tall and without a spare pound on him, the only thing that fits his occupation is the giant claymore he carries on his back at all time. Caerwyn is a driven man, born into near-slavery as a peasant he came up out of serfhood with a fierce dislike of aristocracy and a proud self-reliance...and a sizeable bounty on his head for banditry and inciting revolution.

Now this itinerant warrior and healer travels the land doing what he can to help those in need, and most specifically those oppressed or enslaved. He rarely gets along with more traditional holy warriors, who take exception to his concepts of quick and dirty justice, but he's become a bit of a folk hero in several small villages. Quick to laugh and quicker to fight, Caerwyn is a close friend and a dangerous enemy.
[/sblock]

I'd rather not allow exalted feats. What source do Extra Rage and Sacred Healing come from?

Nac Mac Feegle

First Post
Fair enough, I know how crack some stuff in BoED can get.

Faith Healing is from Complete Divine - spend a full round action and a turning attempt to grant allies within 60' fast healing 3 for rounds equal to 1 + Cha modifier.

Extra Rage is from Complete Warrior - pretty simple, just lets you rage twice more each day.

Remove ads