• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Advice on 9th level Monk doing 6d6 damage per strike...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Tyler Durden said:
Are you saying that... doesn't lead to the conclusion that a monk wearing gauntlets still does normal monk damage when using his fists?

If you choose to read it that way, then you're left with the fact that the monk wearing Large gauntlets deals damage as his normal unarmed strike, not based on the entry for gauntlets. So the fact that the gauntlets are Large makes no difference - he'll deal damage according to his unarmed strike, and he's a Medium creature.

-Hyp.

Asmor

First Post
I don't know if this has been brought up already, but I'm just gonna toss it out there... I had to do a bit of research due to a Thri-Kreen monk in my game, and a natural attack is not the same as an unarmed attack, by the RAW. How you choose to interpret it is up to you.

Personally, I'd allow him to use INA, but I wouldn't say the goliath does large unarmed attacks.

Tyler Durden

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
If you choose to read it that way, then you're left with the fact that the monk wearing Large gauntlets deals damage as his normal unarmed strike, not based on the entry for gauntlets. So the fact that the gauntlets are Large makes no difference - he'll deal damage according to his unarmed strike, and he's a Medium creature.

-Hyp.

That makes sense, and it's also why I wasn't sure if it would matter (since you have to choose which one you're using, the damage from the large gauntlets, or the damage from medium sized monk). I was just concerned cause it seemed like your former answer excluded the second option.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads