Airwalkrr's Maure Castle 3.5 OOC

Zerith

First Post
1 in, little over, 680.27 medium magic weapons will roll two elemental damage types (like flame and frost) that said, would shock and Vicious work together for you? (RP wise could be that the enchanter made the weapon a bit too powerful and so it partly zaps it's the one holding it :3)

Also, for latter on, if I want to add a burst to this weapon could I have both the burst and the normal ability (IE: shocking burst shock) or are bursts exclusively upgrades to the normal affects and it's one or the other?

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Here is how I generally do weapon enhancements. One weapon enhancement can add damage of one type or another. Other weapon enhancements can be added on top of that. So vicious and shock I would see as a bit too powerful. Part of it is that I don't like the way weapon enhancements work in 3.5. It is too easy to stack damage and so players usually go for that to the detriment of more interesting weapon enhancements that add tactical benefits.

I hope I am not sounding too contradictory by telling you that your knight should deal more damage and then limiting the type of enhancements you can add. But what's good for the goose is good for the gander. You will see a number of monsters wielding magic items in this game, but you won't see them optimized for damage with things like acidic flaming shock weapons. Such weapons will be rare and probably have strange side effects.

So things like dancing, ghost touch, brilliant energy and stuff can all be added together. But things like holy, flaming, vicious, or merciful can't be stacked, at least for the purposes of character creation.

Zerith

First Post
Contradictory how? you said I needed more damage; you did not say that i should increase the weapon's damage by an additional factor of 1.2-1.8 :3

In this case I'll ask about something that is fairly stock. Can just anyone use the spell stored in a a spell storing weapon, and if so, if the spell has an AoE dos the AoE go off as well?

if AoE spells still use their AoE when in a spell storing weapon:
-Dos the AoE start from the character using the spell storing weapon, or from square the spell storing weapon hits?
[Example: a lance is holding a fire ball: dos the spell start spreading out from the stricken creature two spaces infront of the wilder or from the one using the lance?]
--if so can the one wielding the spell storing weapon move the AoE around so long as it still hits the struck creature. (within reason, a Cone shaped AoE would not be allowed to be spun around so it hits more then is normally possible, the premise is that the one using the Spell story weapon casts the spell as normal and lets it land in front of itself and behind the struck creature)
-if the spell's AoE hits the one holding the spell storing weapon, is the weapon and its user exempt from the spell if they so wish?
-Finally, if a PC starts out with a Spell storing weapon, can it start out with any spell(up to level 3) that a party member can cast?

airwalkrr

Adventurer
As for spell storing, it only allows targeted spells to be stored. So shocking grasp, vampiric touch, etc. would be allowed. Fireball is an AoE spell, not a targeted spell so it couldn't be cast into a spell storing weapon. The rule of thumb is if the spell has a "Target:" or "Targets:" entry then it can be cast into the weapon. If not, then the spell cannot be cast into the weapon.

Once a spell is stored in the weapon, anyone using the weapon can have the spell strike a target on a successful hit with the weapon.

If you start with a spell storing weapon, you'll have plenty of time before you get to the actual dungeon to get a fellow party member to cast a spell into it.

s@squ@tch

First Post
This is a relief, as I have been swamped with house projects and then my wife has erased all progress of mine several times, unfortunately.

Rhun

First Post
This is a relief, as I have been swamped with house projects and then my wife has erased all progress of mine several times, unfortunately.

I'm always swamped with house projects. However, since I'm not married, I do them at my leisure. Hmmm...probably why several of them have been partially finished for years, but never complete. :)

Rhun

First Post
Alright, I still haven't got my PC concept together. I'm going to work on him this week, but wanted to let you know that I'm running behind.

Remove ads