Aliens: Yes Or No?

Are there intelligent aliens?

• No, there are no intelligent aliens

Votes: 13 11.6%
  • Yes, there are intelligent aliens out there but they've never contacted us or been here

Votes: 85 75.9%
  • Yes, there are intelligent aliens there, and they have contacted us or been here

Votes: 14 12.5%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Just getting a gauge on the general opinion round here. I mean, I'm pretty sure I know what it is, but asking never hurts!

Can't decide? "But what about?" Pick one. Pretend it matters and you have to choose one of the options. Or don’t. That's cool too :)

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
Yes, there is definitely extraterrestrial life elsewhere in the universe. It is possible they've visited Earth or contacted humanity previously, but I find it incredibly unlikely that any human was made aware of this contact without making every human aware of this contact.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I voted “Yes, but they’re not here.”

Caveat: I think it’s possible that there may be “exploratory drones” here, or artifacts like those in Contact. But nothing resembling what we’d consider a life form.

And even with that caveat, the sophonts that created them may be long dead and/or otherwise well beyond any reasonable chance of us ever communicating with them.

Scribe

Legend
ancient aliens GIF by HISTORY UK

overgeeked

B/X Known World
There’s a 100% chance that life exists somewhere out there. The more advanced you get from microbes the more that number drops. The chances of intelligent life out there is still quite high, I think. But due to the vastness of space, the chances of any visiting here are quite low.

Ryujin

Legend
Are there aliens? Almost certainly, based on simple (or complex) math. Have they visited Earth? The answer is either no, or not when we were around. Earth has been around for four and a half billion years. Genus Homo has existed for 1.5 million years, with something recognizable as Homo Sapiens being around for 300,000 years or so. Taking the more generous 1.5M number, something generally of our genus has existed for 0.0333% of Earth's existence.

So that's a no to them visiting "us."

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There’s a 100% chance that life exists somewhere out there. The more advanced you get from microbes the more that number drops. The chances of intelligent life out there is still quite high, I think. But due to the vastness of space, the chances of any visiting here are quite low.
Sure, I think we all know the standard argument(s). I'm just curious how may folks subscribe. I suspect in this crowd most everybody (including myself).

Remove ads