• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

all time Favorite module cover.

Jedi_Solo

First Post
Add another vote for Ravenloft and Temple of Elemental Evil. It's hard for me to choose between the two.

Both are very atmospheric pieces that say 'this is going to be cool!'

werk

First Post
Glyfair said:
Actually, this Dragon cover by Robin Wood.

Did that make it on the cover of Time of the Dragon? The other continent sourcesbook for Dragonlance. I loved that pic too.

EDIT: note to self - don't freaking post until you read the entire thread!

Last edited:

Man, there's a whole bunch of awesome art in this thread.

Temple of Elemental Evil is definitely up there. The sheer amount of malevolent detail really does draw a person into it.

I'm not as keen on the content, but I like N4: Treasure Hunt's cover.

More recent, I think Necromancer Games' "A Family Affair" and "The Grey Citadel" have cool covers.

Chupacabra

First Post
S3 - Expedition to the Barrier Peaks: Wizards, Swords and .... Laserguns!!!

It didn't get any better than that back in the day. Cool cover.

Kafkonia

First Post
I quite like the cover for Twilight Calling posted above. [hijack]Can anyone give me some insight into the actual module?[/hijack]

bastrak

First Post
I'd go for the Temple of Elemental Evil. Such a menacing building and so much detail in the picture.

Queen of Spiders as close second. I always thought Lolth looked particularly hot in this picture in my younger days.

DwarvenDog

Explorer
continuing a brief hijack

to kafkonia and tx7321:

Twilight Calling is a weird little gem of the "M" series of basic adventures. It's the assumed final step before the PC's become immortals themselves, as they are tasked with defeating (in various ways) the immortal rulers of seven demiplanes.

They do this and then venture into the castle pictured on the cover to battle and stop an incursion of reptilian beasties called the carnifex.

There are some problems with the module. The puzzles are cliche' and kind of lame (as in... you've seen them before and they are not challenging.) The castle, despite impressive artwork is pretty much unmapped save for a short maze. There are moments of intense silliness (a trap filled with corrosive barbecue sauce?)

However, the realms of color are mapped beautifully, their rulers have personalities and the encounters are reasonably challenging. Each realm seems to have a powerful dragon you get to fight.

I thought it was the absolute best adventure EVER in high school. This one module went on to be the foundation for 4 long-running campaigns of mine, using the planes of color as my Outer Planes and basing the gods loosely on the original immortal rulers within.

good times.

Klaus

First Post
bastrak said:
I'd go for the Temple of Elemental Evil. Such a menacing building and so much detail in the picture.

Queen of Spiders as close second. I always thought Lolth looked particularly hot in this picture in my younger days.
Indeed, Temple of Elemental Evil manages to be menacing, moody, creepy, seductive... and the cover has just a single building! Not a single creature!

God bless you, Keith Parkinson! :salute:

Remove ads