• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Amazon US book sales rank.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I am kind of curious what happened in March 2016 that stabilized the position. Were the other dips because it went out of print, maybe?
I hate to say it, because I think people often overvalue it as an explanation for D&D's recent success and this suggests that I'm wrong about that, but March of 2016 would be the 1 year anniversary of Critical Role's first show.

However it might also just be when Wizards finally figured out that 5e wasn't following the usual sales trends on core books.

Reynard

Legend
I hate to say it, because I think people often overvalue it as an explanation for D&D's recent success and this suggests that I'm wrong about that, but March of 2016 would be the 1 year anniversary of Critical Role's first show.

However it might also just be when Wizards finally figured out that 5e wasn't following the usual sales trends on core books.
I would be curious to see a number fo viewers overlay and see if there is any correlation.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller

They literally ran out of books, because core books aren't supposed to get more popular two years after release

darjr

I crit!
So, I get the value of the data on the PHB now. What's the value of the short term data on the adventures?
The numbers are not preserved so to get history it needs to get captured. Plus it’s rare for any books to reach these levels ever. Also Radiant Citadel has been doing OK in its ranking the entire time it has been in preorder. The Spelljammer book has been doing really well and has spiked recently, in preorder.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
So, I get the value of the data on the PHB now. What's the value of the short term data on the adventures?
I think it's just an indicator that they're selling well, though theoretically we could make some historical comparisons to sales ranks of other books at release, or six months after (or what have you), if folks are checking the numbers at each release. Which I think darjr is doing.

Given that the algorithm is opaque, it doesn't give us hard data, but it can still be fodder for comparison and discussion.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
The numbers are not preserved so to get history it needs to get captured. Plus it’s rare for any books to reach these levels ever. Also Radiant Citadel has been doing OK in its ranking the entire time it has been in preorder. The Spelljammer book has been doing really well and has spiked recently, in preorder.

That seems strange. I feel like that data definitely still exists, even if it isn't necessarily publicly available.
What use are Amazon's internal numbers to us (or a future Ben Riggs or Jon Peterson) looking back years later, if we can't see them? Whereas posts like this will at least theoretically continue to be publicly available ten or twenty years from now, as are posts on ENworld from twenty years ago.

Does anyone remember how previous adventures have been sales-ranked? My gut feeling is that RadCit being ranked 10th in "Dungeons & Dragons books" on the day of release isn't indicative of a hit product, but for all I know this could be where adventures belong now that there are a bunch of good splatbooks to compete with in sales.

darjr

I crit!
Does anyone remember how previous adventures have been sales-ranked? My gut feeling is that RadCit being ranked 10th in "Dungeons & Dragons books" on the day of release isn't indicative of a hit product, but for all I know this could be where adventures belong now that there are a bunch of good splatbooks to compete with in sales.
It is already a hit product. There are authors who would swoon at those sales and RPG creatures that just might contemplate killing for them. Though it may not have the same Amazon ranking as other adventures, true.

Reynard

Legend
What use are Amazon's internal numbers to us (or a future Ben Riggs or Jon Peterson) looking back years later, if we can't see them? Whereas posts like this will at least theoretically continue to be publicly available ten or twenty years from now, as are posts on ENworld from twenty years ago.
I'm not sure what you mean. I was pushing back against the idea that the data was gone, not suggesting we shouldn't be sharing it or archiving it now.

Remove ads