• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Amber Sands

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Not long after Kija leaves, there is a soft knock on Father Grimwald's door, and a young girl's voice, in thickly accented Farzsyi, softly calls, "Father Grimwald, my name is Sumutra. I have brought you refreshment and the books you requested. May I enter?"

OOC: There are no undead..... yet.

DJMG

First Post
DungeonmasterCal said:
Not long after Kija leaves, there is a soft knock on Father Grimwald's door, and a young girl's voice, in thickly accented Farzsyi, softly calls, "Father Grimwald, my name is Sumutra. I have brought you refreshment and the books you requested. May I enter?"

OOC: There are no undead..... yet.

OOC Yeah, because you know I'm checking! Sorry to be so out of it this week, but I AM in Washington, which I'm guessing is your Capital based on the size of the buildings and how many flags there are! ;-)

Father Grimwald says "Please enter, I'm looking forward to sampling your local foods" As an afterthought he adds "Might I say your Farzsyi is excellent!"

When she has left, Grimwald mutters to himself "Call me paranoid but I've not stayed alive this long by taking chances". With that he calls upon his inner reserve of strength to ensure that the food given him is safe for eating.

OOC Detect Poison, lvl 0

If it's safe to eat, Grimwald will take a small sampling of various morsels so not as to spoil his supper and then pick a book at random and give it a read.

OOC Still hit and miss all week while I try and figure out why American money is all one colour and try VERY hard not to pay for ice cream with a $50 bill (again) :)

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
OOC: Nothing is poisoned. And depending on where you go, ice cream will cost about that much. Especially if it has "gourmet" attached to any part of the name. If you will excuse me, I will now smugly revel that here in the US we don't have to color code our money to know which bill denotes which amount. :) And don't worry about posting. Just post when you can. Enjoy your visit!

The food Sumutra has brought consists mostly of candied fruits and a sweet, chewy bread, as well as a small carafe of water, flavored lightly with some tart, but not unpleasant fruit. A small bowl of salted walnuts and almonds round out the fare. Just as you are picking up one of the two books she brought, there is a knock on the door and Sumutra enters again, carrying a large porcelain bowl and a small towel.

"Please forgive me, Father. I am remiss in my duties. It is our custom to wash the feet of a guest upon entering a home for the first time. Please be seated, and I will remove your shoes while you relax." She glances at your eyes only for a moment, hers bottomless black pools, before setting the bowl on the floor next to you and kneeling.

"May I be so bold as to ask why you are called 'Father'? Do you have many children?"

Last edited:

DJMG

First Post
With a sigh Grimwald settles back into the chair and allows Sumutra to wash the dust from his feet.

"There are two answers to your question, Sumutra. The first answer is easy: I am called Father because I help look after the spiritual needs of a great number of people. I attempt to provide them with guidance and try to help them make the most of their lives, much like a real father does with his children. Therefore, I am called 'Father' as an honorific by the 'children' I help guide. The second answer is a little more difficult... I once had a family but they were taken from me...."

Father Grimawald's voice trails off and he looks out the window off into the distance.

Snowelf

First Post
Kija

Kija is about to knock on the door when she hears the tail end of Father Grimwald's speech. She freezes on the spot, looks at the books in her arms, and then turns and heads back out of the guesthouse quarters as quietly as she can.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Sumutra falls silent, finishing her task. Towelling off your feet, she wordlessly gathers her things and moves to the door. Just as she steps out, she says, [/B]"If you need anything, please ring that small bell on the table and I will come."

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
OOC: Sorry no post until now. It's been a hectic day.

Several hours pass, and no matter how hard you try, the afternoon heat finally gets the best of you and you doze off, having read and re-read the same page a half dozen times. You sleep dreamlessly, and awake to the sound of soft knocking at your door. Sumutra calls, "Father Grimwald, dinner is ready and I am here to take you to the banquet hall."

Moments later, Sumutra opens the great, ornate doors to the banquet hall that Kija showed you earlier. Inside, Shivethi, two other Ransoori men, and a young woman you've not met sit at the table, which is heavily laden with many wonderful smelling dishes. Shivethi stands, extending a hand in greeting. "Father Grimwald! Please, come in and join us. I trust you have rested after your journey?"

Sumutra pulls your chair out for you, and once you are seated, retreats back to a small alcove near the main doors. Shivethi, still standing, says, "Please, allow me to introduce you to some friends." Pointing to the man nearest you, Shivethi says, "This is Qasood, First Minister of Trade." Qasood stands, and bows in the Ransoori manner. "And this, " he indicates the other man, "Is Pajanti, my Captain of the Guard here at the enclave." Pajanti stands and bows, then sits again.

Finally, he turns to look at the young human woman. "This is Aya, first mate on the Crimson Wind, the ship we use to ferry cargo and passengers between here and our homeland. We felt it best to include someone from Farszya in the crew as a gesture of good will." He smiles, "But do not try to extract that secret from her. She has sworn an oath to keep that a secret for now. And now, let's eat! Father Grimwald, as is the custom of our people, as the guest in our house, you must select the first dish to be sampled. Maybe we'll get lucky and you'll choose dessert first!" Shivethi and the others laugh as he sits down in his chair.

DJMG

First Post
Father Grimwald

Grimwald accepts the introductions and returns everyone's greeting with a sincere smile and kind word.

Have no fear Shivethi - I would not dream of trying to extract that secret or any secret from you nor Aya. I understand all too well why you'd wish to stay hidden from the less desirable elements of our society.

(OOC Diplomacy +9 - though he IS being sincere)

So it is up to me to get things started? Then I shall hold up the feast no longer!

With that Grimwald will pick something that looks the most likely to be dessert

[edit spell-check is your friend!]

Last edited:

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
You pick up a small wedge of a sticky, flaky pastry. When you bite into it, the taste of honey and almonds almost overwhelms you. Shivethi claps his hands and laughs, "Baklava! Good choice!" He then reaches for his own plate of the treat, and the others follow suit.

Remove ads