• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An E6 oriental/western game (replacement needed) - last call for bento

Amazing Triangle

First Post
I wanted use a Skill Trick (Complete Scoundrel):
Conceal Spellcasting: (2skpts) – Sleight of hand check versus Spot check to notice spell casting. If you succeed they don’t know that you are spellcasting at all (no aoo’s nor counter)

It costs 2 skill points. I chose this because it fits the concept of being not allowed/not liked for his casting.

Are there any more languages? Kenji likes to disguise himself and to do so well he needs to know languages.

I thought his oath would be more to self than to others and to keep himself alive and profitable.

If we run something as a prologue Kenji would be looking for people in the 'starter' city to be contacts for different organizations. Staying for the most part inside the law to avoid being known. He will try to get a few contacts and find their preferences (art, treasure, etc.). He is trying to find a buyer for things he finds or who will buy different things.

mfrench

First Post
Yo Ancient History! Haven't heard from you in a while, but I haven't given you much to work with. How's this to spark the imagination?

[sblock=Ancient History]Tamori Castle is a the largest and nearest true city-state in the region. It was in the slums outside the castle walls that your warlock grew up, a bastard and an orphan, abandoned as demon-spawn. Among the people there you gained an ill reputation, and the chaos that you caused as a changeling was a sure indication of your bloodline. But on one occasion you were caught by an old shifter witch who lived in those parts. She taught you about the truly dark forces of demon-kind, and inspired in you a hatred of the wretched creatures that inflict such misery in the ghettoes of cities. She taught you much as you grew in hatred and power.

Eventually, she revealed to you the distinctions amongst the demons (at least, those of which she knew). She led you to believe that your parentage can from a demon of lust known as a Mamano: a shapechanger, hideous in its natural form, that tempts and corrupts humans so as to pass on more of its kind. The one that spawned you apparently never had a chance to complete the ritual that would make you one of his kind, but managed to escape complete destruction by fleeing. You were sent east, to the mountains, to pick up on his trail. [/sblock]

mfrench

First Post
Amazing Triangle said:
I wanted use a Skill Trick (Complete Scoundrel):
Conceal Spellcasting: (2skpts) – Sleight of hand check versus Spot check to notice spell casting. If you succeed they don’t know that you are spellcasting at all (no aoo’s nor counter)

It costs 2 skill points. I chose this because it fits the concept of being not allowed/not liked for his casting.

Are there any more languages? Kenji likes to disguise himself and to do so well he needs to know languages.

I thought his oath would be more to self than to others and to keep himself alive and profitable.

If we run something as a prologue Kenji would be looking for people in the 'starter' city to be contacts for different organizations. Staying for the most part inside the law to avoid being known. He will try to get a few contacts and find their preferences (art, treasure, etc.). He is trying to find a buyer for things he finds or who will buy different things.

The skill trick is fine. For the languages, . . . I might come up with more. The other ones I've considered are the Elemental languages (we'd need five for this campaign). But I'm not really sold on them. I think I'll leave them out unless anyone objects.

I'll keep the background info in mind, we'll see how the prologue goes.

For everybody:
For the oaths, even if it is something personal, I'd like to get it written out. I just feel like it is such a big thing, from the both the oriental side and the western side. Even if you don't really swear anything to anyone, when Bad Bart walks into the Blue Moon Saloon, people that have never even spoken to him before could tell a visitor: "There's Bad Bart -- never insult his mother or accuse him of cheating at cards unless you have an unhealthy desire to own a plot in the graveyard." Your reputation is built on the principles you're willing to kill or get killed over, and that is the sort of thing I want to see for the codes.

I will be on once or twice in the next few days, then probably not at all until Sunday. I'll try to make another contribution to the prologue, maybe introduce another person or two to it, then hopefully we can get the characters finished and started by the end of November.

Lorthanoth

Explorer
I think I'm done, if you want to check him out. His code of honour is quite a simple one, but a tricky one if bad guys are going to be recurring.

mfrench

First Post
Master Chen looks good to me; we just need to iron out the particulars of his background so we can figure out where he's going and why. I think I've got one that will suit you just fine: Chen is headed from Katsuki Ford upriver to a small roadside village that has the best noodles in the valley. You are familiar with Katsuki Ford more than the deeper parts of the valley.

DrZ: As everyone else is getting Unarmed strike to make this more mrtial arts friendly, Li needs a boost to match. I would suggest one of: Dodge, Imp. Grapple, Deflect Arrows, or Skill Focus (Jump). If there is something else that is of that power level that would add to the martial arts flavor, feel free to bring it up. Also, pick that extra language. As you were raised in the monastery, you probably don’t even speak the language of your people, but maybe you can take Ancient Imperial or Celestial.

I'm going to see if I can get a map posted tomorrow just to get a visual in people's minds of where things are.

mfrench

First Post
Here's a rough sketch of the valley. The prologue is bringing them into Ten-min Falls.

Amazing: This is your home town. Do you want to join the prologue here, or just join with everyone else at the start of the IC thread? I am going to try to move things along in it at least once more before I head out for Thanksgiving.

Attachments

• VALLEY.JPG
    VALLEY.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 77

DrZombie

First Post
I'll go for precise strike if you don't mind. His style is more like a crane. Fast, dexterous strikes at nerve points more then brute force.

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
[sblock=mfrench]

I was wondering if I could be part of the prologue. Nothing much, just sorta the shadow that trails them or something. The way I was thinking it, is that I am nothing more than a fleeting shadow. I wouldn't actually be posting in the prologue. I was thinking it would be an easy way to introduce myself, but you can do it however you want. I guess I'm just eager for the game to start.

[/sblock]

mfrench

First Post
Welcome back from Holiday

A little something for everyone:
Carrying the katana or wakizashi (short sword) requires proper proof that you belong to a House or some order that traditionally confers the sacred blades. The ninja, swordsage, and shugenja would all have these scrolls to start with. However, if you want your identity to remain secret, it is best not to flaunt the weapons: this will only draw scrutiny to you. Eventually, true masters are known be their reputation alone, and would never be asked to see the scrolls of ancestry.

The Char Sheets should also reflect your Conviction and the status of your Death Flag (which starts down, as in safe from death).

I got a couple of installments written for the prologue over the holiday, I’ll allow some time between them to give you guys a chance to add to it. I hope to get the campaign running on Friday, when we get real internet access at home (so I don’t have to go to the library just to get updates).
[sblock=Amazing]The guild that you refer to in your Code is the Black Hand guild. It is really a loose group of Kor thieves who work together occasionally, share information, and try to stay out of each other’s way. There are some who stay in towns as contact points and fences, like Lao-ping (who is about to show up in the Prologue). They are sort of the ‘head men’ of the guild, offering out jobs to senior members and coordinating the junior members.

Most Kor have a small rune tattooed on the back side of their left thumb, usually the symbol of some ideal. The Black Hands have the symbol for ‘Work,’ as some korobokuru are inclined to do. However, there is subtly imbedded in it the symbol for ‘Hand’, which distinguishes them as members of this guild.

As your Code specifies, the guild tries to avoid bloodshed, which means that they are tolerated almost everywhere. However, the men in Hiruma Watch who were killed were fellow Black Hands. You’re now forced to steer clear of the town for a while, trying to expand your personal network to other towns. The Hands hold a major grudge against House Hiruma, and retaliation may be imminent.

For an extra language, you could have a sort of Guild Cant that includes sign language, code words, guild symbols, etc.[/sblock][sblock=OnlytheStrong]First: your short sword is a type of wakizashi known as a ninja-to. The scabbard acts as a blowgun and can be used as a breathing tube should you be forced underwater.

You had a mentor in Kaiu Pass, and once you returned from a particularly bloody retaliation against House Shiba, you noticed that you were being followed, so you avoided you mentor’s house for a while. When you slipped in that night, he had already been poisoned by Shiba assassins. Before he died, he tried to teach you one final lesson, and taught you your father’s motto. The lesson was that while you must know how to strike with a blade, it is more important to learn to bend others to your will. It is better to convince someone else to kill for you (and to convince them that it is their idea). He told you to lay low, and go into Katsuki lands, and to try and convice that House to strike the Shiba. In that way, they become the tool that you use to strike them. There will be times for you to kill for yourself, but to use another House’s resources for your own revenge is the height of the art of your fathers.

He taught you your father’s motto, which is the code that you listed above:
I am the darkness.
I am the light.
I am a demon.
I am an angel.
I am the balance.
I’ll work on a more formalized oath based on it in the next few days.

For the prologue, I’ll put you in as a shadow behind them once they get out on Ten-min Falls. That should be coming in the next few days.[/sblock][sblock=bento]Your shugenja has a set of scrolls called ofudas which serve as his Divine Focus for casting spells. It carries his Spells Known on them, but they are non-magical. Also, he needs a formal Code.[/sblock][sblock=Lorthanoth]I think Master Chen is done! Since the chopsticks don’t have a listing, I’d suggest 1d3 damage, crit x2, and a range of 20 feet, which makes them decent enough for ranged combat. Also, he needs one of those giant round oriental hats to wear![/sblock][sblock=NMF]What is your armor? I assumed it was a chain shirt from the +4 armor bonus. If so, that is fine.

He should have a wakizashi. It is possible that he lost it in the flight from the east, which should make getting a new one a top priority if he plans on hiring out to a new master.

Lastly, he needs to formalize his Code.[/sblock][sblock=DrZ]You should change his homeland from Xendrik to Monastery of the Singing Phoenix (there are finely crafted bells with Phoenix symbols on them that give the place its name). You need to choose your other language. The extra feat can be used for precise strike. Also, work out his specific vows, which can serve as his Code.[/sblock]That is everybody except Ancient History, who hadn’t posted a character last I checked. If he gets one in I’ll still consider it, but if not he’s stuck as an alt, I guess.

Last edited:

Remove ads