• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An E6 oriental/western game (replacement needed) - last call for bento

GlassEye

Adventurer
mfrench said:
Absolutely. Just shoot me a character concept (or a few!) and I'll see what we can come up with. I want to be sure to give the other PCs a fair shot to show up again before you replace someone, but you can be an alternate or even a 7th PC (hey, Seven Samurai, the Magnificent Seven . . .).

Great! In short, I'm thinking a warrior riding out of the western wastes, clad in the traditional garb of nomadic desert tribes and looking for the demonic creatures that slaughtered his kin and left him for dead. Cliched, I know. Crunchy bits: Ranger 2 with TWF and focused on desert survival.

If this is ok, I'll work it up and post it for your approval.

mfrench

First Post
GlassEye said:
Great! In short, I'm thinking a warrior riding out of the western wastes, clad in the traditional garb of nomadic desert tribes and looking for the demonic creatures that slaughtered his kin and left him for dead. Cliched, I know. Crunchy bits: Ranger 2 with TWF and focused on desert survival.

If this is ok, I'll work it up and post it for your approval.
The best weapon choice would probably be the scimitar as a main weapon. For the demonic creatures, I'll come up with something exact in a bit. Your character will need a Code, as an arabian style culture you might include something about abstaining from alcohol and provisions about what you eat. Your past might be linked with another PC, if that is acceptable to you.

GlassEye

Adventurer
I'm still working on background and code of honor but I'll post what I have below. As for weapons, I'd like to use dual cutlasses if you allow the weapon from Stormwrack. It's nearly identical mechanically to the shortsword (15gp instead of 10gp, slashing instead of piercing) and if that's not ok then I would like to go with the shortsword. Scimitar is culturally appropriate but with a fairly low STR and a high DEX I think it would be better to go with paired light weapons.

Improved Unarmed Strike doesn't seem as appropriate for an arabic style character as it does for the other eastern characters. I will do without it or accept a substitute if you choose to do that.
[sblock=Kerim al-Asad]
Code:
Name: Kerim al-Asad ibn Malik ibn Fahd Zahid al-Badiya
Class: Ranger
Race: Human
Size: Medium
Alignment: LN

Str: 10 +0 (2p.)     Level: 2        XP: 
Dex: 16 +3 (10p.)    BAB: +2         HP: 13 (2d8)
Con: 10 +0 (2p.)     Grapple: +3     Conviction: 6
Int: 16 +3 (10p.)    Speed: 30'      Death Flag: Down
Wis: 12 +1 (4p.)     Init: +3        
Cha: 12 +1 (4p.)     ACP: -0         

Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total
Armor:              10    +3    +0    +3    +0    +0    +0    16
Touch: 13              Flatfooted: 13

Base   Mod  Misc  Total
Fort:                      3    +1    +0    +4
Ref:                       3    +3    +0    +6
Will:                      0    +1    +0    +1

Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical
MW Cutlass (one hand)    +6       1d6         19-20x2
MW Cutlass (TWF)         +4/+4    1d6/1d6     19-20x2
Lance                    +2       1d8         x3
Longbow, Comp.           +5       1d8         x3

Languages: Common, Al-Kabra, Imperial

Abilities:
Ranger Class Abilities
- Favored Enemy (?) +2 Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, & Survival checks and +2 damage vs. these creatures
- Wild Empathy: 1d20+5 (+1 Cha, +2 level, +2 synergy Handle Animal)
- Combat Style (Ex): Two-Weapon Fighting

Feats:
Track (R1 bonus)
Two Weapon Fighting (R2 bonus)
Mounted Combat (human bonus)
Weapon Finesse (1st)

Skill Points: 50       Max Ranks: 5/2
Skills                Total  Ranks  Mod  Misc  
Handle Animal          +6     5     +1    +0
Heal                   +6     5     +1    +0
Hide                   +8     5     +3    +0
Knowledge (geography)  +5     2     +3    +0
Knowledge (nature)     +8     3     +3    +2 (syn. – Survival)
Listen                 +6     5     +1    +0
Move Silently          +8     5     +3    +0
Ride                   +10    5     +3    +2 (syn. - Handle Animal)
Search                 +8     5     +3    +0
Spot                   +6     5     +1    +0
Survival               +6     5     +1    +0
	+2 to find/follow tracks (syn. – Search)

Equipment:                      Cost  Weight
Naheri al-Fulad, the Rivers of Steel – MW watered blades
-Cutlass                        315     3
-Cutlass                        315     3
Studded Leather armor            25    20
Traveler's outfit                -      5

Riukh, Windsister – desert bred warhorse of the Tayyib breed
-Warhorse, light                 150     -
-Bit & bridle                     2     1
-Saddle                          10    25
Lance                            10    10
Longbow, Comp.                  100     3
-20 arrows                        1     3	
Saddlebags                        4     8
Healing potion (x2)             100
-Waterskins(2)                    2     8
-Rations(2)                       1     2
Total Weight: 31 lb      Money: 165 gp

Lgt   Med   Hvy  Lift  Push
Max Weight:                33    66    100  200   500
[sblock=Background]
“I am Kerim, Lion of the Wastes, son of Malik, son of Fahd the Ascetic, descendant of Naaman the Smith who forged the Rivers of Steel which I bear to the honor of the House of Badiya.”[/sblock]

[sblock=Appearance]
Kerim is slightly below average (5 ft. 7 inches, 145 lbs.) in size but makes up for it with a quickness of body and mind. His skin is deeply tanned and his eyes are a mottled gray so dark as to appear black. A crescent shaped scar mars his cheek below his right eye. He bears the kinship tattoo of the House of Badiya on his brow between his eyes: three deep blue, wavy, vertical lines. He wears the traditional garb of the nomads of the waste: black flowing aba held closed with a sash and a turban that can be drawn down to veil his face from the sun and blowing sand.[/sblock]

[sblock=Code of Honor]
The Naheri al-Fulad are the embodiment of my family honor: I shall wield them with honor and bravery.
Brave Riukh is my sister and Fortune’s gift: To her I owe my kinship and life.
My life shall embody the virtues of the desert: Hospitality, piety, and freedom.
The freedom of my enemies will be curtailed: May Fortune grant me this gift, may Fate guide my step, may my family honor be restored through the Naheri al-Fulad.[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

mfrench

First Post
GlassEye said:
I'm still working on background and code of honor but I'll post what I have below. As for weapons, I'd like to use dual cutlasses if you allow the weapon from Stormwrack. It's nearly identical mechanically to the shortsword (15gp instead of 10gp, slashing instead of piercing) and if that's not ok then I would like to go with the shortsword. Scimitar is culturally appropriate but with a fairly low STR and a high DEX I think it would be better to go with paired light weapons.

Improved Unarmed Strike doesn't seem as appropriate for an arabic style character as it does for the other eastern characters. I will do without it or accept a substitute if you choose to do that.
This is great. You're definitely in as a 'starting' PC, the seventh and final if everyone shows up. Cutlasses seem strange for the desert, but I like what you've done with them, so they're fine.

I'd like to link your background to bento's Shugenja. Either he was serving as a foreign spiritual advisor trying to assimilate your culture (he has a great reverence for water) or his village was overran by the same horde of evil spirits that killed your clan. In either case, you are traveling together now in search of the same jackal-headed oni who leaves destruction by fire in his wake.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Cool. I have no problem with my pc's background being linked to anothers. I like the connection to a water shugenja especially with the watered steel swords and the water symbol of the Badiya family that I worked into my pc background. I'll do more work on my history and add it in tonight or tomorrow. The basic premise floating around in my head was that his family was hunkered down waiting for a sandstorm to pass when their livestock begins going wild. Tents are slashed open and things spill in masked in wind, blowing sand, and fire. Kerim catches the tip of a sword in the face (hence the scar) but before whatever it is can kill him the tent collapses and Kerim is knocked unconscious. He wakes up later and most of the tents are burnt, his family and livestock killed. He finds his father's body and takes the matching watered steel cutlasses (family heirloom). He also finds a page from a book of divination clutched in his fathers hand. The front side would have an I-Ching type of reading and the back would have a crude map of the east and the Badiya family symbol giving Kerim a reason to head east (this part is still rather sketchy in my mind). He wanders off into the waste, stumbles across a family horse that managed to survive the attack which likely saves his life, and eastward.

I'm not horribly attatched to any of this so I welcome suggestions, changes, additions, etc. Just let me know.

mfrench

First Post
GlassEye: RE replacement for unarmed strike, how about the a knife-fighter feat that allows you to use light weapons in a grapple without a penalty? I think that is comparative in power level and could be useful in kung-fu situations without spoiling the flavor.

mfrench

First Post
GlassEye said:
That sounds fine. Do you know the name or where it can be found? I don't recall that particular feat.

I think it is called Knifefighter, and it is from the Forgotten Realms, either Player's Guide or Campaign Setting or something like that.

Remove ads