Anne Hathaway cast as Selina "Catwoman" Kyle in upcoming Batman 3

Goodsport

Explorer
But keep in mind that in the bizarre, sexist concept of beauty as it exists in Hollywood, a male lead in his 40s requires a female love interest in her 20s.

Christian Bale is currently 36 (37 at the end of this month) and Anne Hathaway is currently 28 (29 this coming November).

Is being less than a decade apart at that stage of their lives really that big a difference? :confused:

-G

Jared Rascher

Explorer
While the Heath Ledger casting was inspired, Nolan did cast Katie Holmes in the first movie . . . :p

I'm actually more interested in the Bane casting than Catwoman. While it thankfully doesn't look like they are going for the big brute angle, I am a bit bummed that we probably won't get to hear Bane with an awesome Cuban accent.

Sutekh

First Post
Wow, I didnt realise Anne Hathaway was that 'old'. and that 7 months DOES make a difference :)

Seriously though, Im still non plussed with Hathaway in that role.

I do think the actress playing Catwoman needs to be in her 30's though. How about someone like Kelly Hu?

Chainsaw Mage

First Post
Christian Bale is currently 36 (37 at the end of this month) and Anne Hathaway is currently 28 (29 this coming November).

Is being less than a decade apart at that stage of their lives really that big a difference? :confused:

-G

Huh. I thought he was older, and she younger, than they really are. I stand corrected.

It hardly invalidates my overall point, though. And in fact, still lends mild support to it (naturally the female love interest has to be almost ten years younger than the male lead . . .)

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
But keep in mind that in the bizarre, sexist concept of beauty as it exists in Hollywood, a male lead in his 40s requires a female love interest in her 20s.

Huh. I thought he was older, and she younger, than they really are. I stand corrected.

It hardly invalidates my overall point, though.

Eight and a half years is much closer to typical averages (both Western and worldwide) than you were intimating.

Starman

Adventurer
Trivia of the day:

Average age gap in marriage = 3.5 years

Statistics Norway: Age differences at marriage - The times they are achanging?

This has apparently remained relatively stable over the past 100 years.

I think the age of the actor is less important than the age of the character they are playing and how well they play the role. I don't think Bale and Hathaway look too much different in age.

UPDATE: I didn't see when I first skimmed the site that the data are specific to Norway. Other sites I've checked don't show that much of a difference, though.

Last edited:

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I wonder if that gap widens moreso in urabn and suburban (as opposed to rural) environments as people get older, i.e. the gap if people meet at 20, at 25, at 30, etc. on through 50+? Even in said environs, it is probably unusual for a 20 year old guy to date and then marry someone more than a couple years younger than himself whereas someone getting out of college or grad school might not have a problem with someone three to five years younger. Once people get in their thirties and forties, five or ten years (in either direction) seems less likely to be problematic.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Even in said environs, it is probably unusual for a 20 year old guy to date and then marry someone more than a couple years younger than himself whereas someone getting out of college or grad school might not have a problem with someone three to five years younger.

Well, a person getting out of college is typically all of 22. How many college grads marry high-schoolers or college freshmen? That's still an age where three to five years makes a big difference.

Grad school is different, if only because it is often delayed for a few years.

Remove ads