Dark Knight Rises (review and discussion) [major spoilers from second post onwards]

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
My mini-review:

The movie was adequate. I won’t toss out any spoilers here, but will say that the storyline was muddled, Bruce Wayne was whiny, and Bane’s voice often unintelligible. At one point in the film, I swear Bane threatened to reduce Gotham City to “asses”. The Dark Knight Rises is in no danger of being lauded as the Nolans’ best movie.

Herschel

Adventurer
The one thing really making this not your standard summer fare was with so much going on, if your attention lapsed you were in serious danger of missing important details. In most summer movies if you run to the bathroom all you probably miss is another explosion or fart joke.

Krug

Newshound
Can't say I liked it much. Too many other mildly interesting supporting characters. I know the Batman movies have been more than about Batman, but this was pulled all over the place. I didn't like the obvious political messages that got shoved along with the story. Yes, it is a super hero story trying to be more, but it just felt forced.

The action sequences weren't as well handled as they could be. Who started the attack in the plane? Did I miss something about the blood transfusion? What happened to the rest of the guys on the plane?

It was obviously just a matter of time before Batman could drag himself out of the pit, and that time away from Gotham really hurt the story.

The ending with BW not being dead was a bit of a letdown. Would have sufficed to see BW walk away without ever turning around and leaving things open.

Overall 6/10.

Last edited:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Funny, given that Gotham is slang for New York.

True but Nohan has provided us two other movies, the first, heavy CGI, that gave us a different atmosphere and look. That was taken away in this one and yet this movie had ties to that first one, did not come across well.

Herschel

Adventurer
Can't say I liked it much. Too many other mildly interesting supporting characters. I know the Batman movies have been more than about Batman, but this was pulled all over the place. I didn't like the obvious political messages that got shoved along with the story. Yes, it is a super hero story trying to be more, but it just felt forced.

Bane and Talia glommed on to a political message to make Ras' original plan seem more palatable, get things moving the way they wanted and less like it really was. That was very good use of real world current events.

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Well, you don't have to be offended, Herschel, by my observation. It was just an observation, expressed without rancor or judgment. If you read those things in what I wrote, it's your inference rather than my implication.

IIRC, Christopher Nolan himself has said that Dickens was more of an influence on the film's story than, say, CNN.

Remove ads