Any AD&D 1st Edition players here?

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Re: Dragonsfoot

bloodymage said:
As a matter of fact, Dragonsfoot is very open to 3rd editioners! Just stay away from the "Edition Wars & RPG Soapbox" forum. :D We have a forum expressly for gamers who want to discuss the latest incarnation to bear the name D&D and I personally boot anyone out who flames in that forum, don't I Ermanaric?

I've been meaning to go back to Dragonsfoot's 3e forum for a while, but the last few times I was there, the 3e forum was a bit tough to sustain a 3e discussion in. I won't say it was a flame-fest, because it wasn't, but it was more along the lines of having to explain and justify any given 3e nuance again and again. While that is OK sometimes, most of the time it would be nice to be able to have another place to discuss the game without having to watch as the thread turns into a discussion of why this or that mechanic doesn't work in comparison to an earlier edition's version of that mechanic. Do you see what I mean? Maybe it's changed in the past few weeks. I just found that the 3e forum felt too much like a castle under siege. Dragonsfoot is a good site to go to, though, for any other edition of D&D. I highly recommend it.

You Dragonsfooters know that Gary posts here, too? It's kinda cool having him accessible at one's favorite site, isn't it?

Zhure

First Post
I play in a 1e campaign that's been around for something like fifteen years, although I've only been in it for about ten (I was the new guy until very recently).

I'm also in a 2e game that I've been in for about seven years; it's been running for around a decade. There's a revolving cast of players and currently I think I'm the third-most-senior in that campaign, but only missed second-most-senior by a week. I mention it because it uses a host of 1e rules.

Another 1e game I'm in started about four years ago recently reset using 3e rules. Some of the players opted to start over with the same characters, some new ones (I went new character -- with AMAZING stats; I should've been a monk).

Greg

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
I could be talked into a 1E game, but only so long as I can multiclass something good like gnome thief/illusionist or cleric/illusionist, or an elven fighter/magic-user.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
If I were to play in the World of Greyhawk again I would use 1st Edition rules - the two are intimately intertwined in my mind which is why it seemed weird that 3E reverted to using WoG as the base campaign.

Although if I were to be cynical it could just have been a ploy to enable WotC to produce all of the Forgotten Realms books as separate entities from the Core Books!

johnsemlak

First Post
I do some solo adventuring in 1e now and again (anybody besides me take the Random Dungeon Generator in the back of the 1E DMG and simply hack through a random dungeon solo? I took a party down to level nine in one of those things).

It's great for nostalgia, and I certainly use 1e products in my 3e campaigns. My campaign is a bit of a mix of versions anyway.

I'm undecided on whether 1e or 3e is a better game, but 1e was better in some ways (as is 3e)

I'd be happy to run a 1e campaign or play in one, but right now I just don't know people who want to do that.

bloodymage

House Ruler
Dragonsfoot & 3e

ColonelHardisson said:

I've been meaning to go back to Dragonsfoot's 3e forum for a while, but the last few times I was there, the 3e forum was a bit tough to sustain a 3e discussion in.... I highly recommend it.

You Dragonsfooters know that Gary posts here, too? It's kinda cool having him accessible at one's favorite site, isn't it?

Greetings Colonel (feel like Gary!)

It is a little easier to discuss in that forum now, I think. We have more 3rd editioners now than just MerricB, more people to discuss with! :p Just talk 3e though and don't stray into comparisons or you'll attract flies! ;) Sometimes a zinger slips in, but that happens here at ENWorld too, eh? We're not a d20 or 3e site, never will be, but we're generally pretty civil. Just stay away from "Edition Wars"! :p

Yes, it is. :D He posts on the KenzerCo boards, too.

GENEWEIGEL

Explorer
Well, I just got back to the ENWorld forum yesterday for the first time in almost a year and I've already had my wrist slapped for picking on Monte.

;)

Anyway it's time for these ENWorlders to get a good taste of the ol' Weigel again!

Hmmm, maybe a good old time Greyhawk session is needed to exercise my "Eric's Grandma" PC vernacular!

;)

EricNoah

Adventurer
I have memories of many, many fond years of playing 1E as well as various incarnations of Basic D&D. I got rid of my old books years ago but would love to have them back again to read and remember the good times.

But ....

I would never return to playing 1e except as a one-shot nostalgia deal. I just couldn't go back. Same with 2E or basic D&D.

Fortunately no one can make me do so, just as no one can make any 1E fan switch to another edition. :)

Remove ads