Any AD&D 1st Edition players here?

Aitch Eye

First Post
diaglo said:

i never liked removing racial class limits.

I used the word "everyone" in the context of an expansion on my original post, talking about our groups response to the new rules. Those were the only people I was referring to.

GENEWEIGEL

Explorer
I'll tell you what edition I REALLY like:

GE

The completely rewritten GYGAX EDITION

Due out in 2007

Just kidding!

No I'm not!

For the love of all things good, Gary!

Please! Help us! You're our only hope!

;P

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
I don't think he can, due to the legal wrangling that went on back in the 80s and 90s. However, I would like to see what EGG would do if he was given the chance to do what he wanted with D&D. Not as a replacement for anything, just as a project along the lines of what was done with HackMaster.

GENEWEIGEL

Explorer
Well, by 2007 there will be no lawyers left.

Didn't you see Damnation Alley?

;)

Alright so if we can never have a Gygax edition maybe we can put Lorraine Williams on trial for taking the entire population of D&D fans into Ed Greenwood's easy to write for and lighthearted worlds while simultaneously vaporizing the idea that this game originally sold to everyone because of the educational parallel that is often associated with myth reflecting fantasy fiction and not because of the "sweetness" of the FORTRESS OF FANGStm playset.

;)

Erekose

Eternal Champion
As ever I find myself agreeing with ColonelHardisson. I'd love to see what an updated version of D&D would be from Gary. Although this takes me back to thread that was about giving the World of Greyhawk back to EGG!

It'll never happen but it would be great to see a whole campaign setting created by Gary with his updated version of D&D. It could run in parallel with the 3rd Edition like OD&D did with AD&D!

Last edited:

Victim

First Post
Ulrick said:
I recently quit a 1st ed. campaign. But I believe Victim might still be in it.

Ulrick

Yes, I am. Old school dungeon crawls are pretty interesting. BTW, everyone hates your character for running off with magic items after we raised you.

However, I hate the mechanics for 1e. Without percentile STR, fighters are pretty crappy. What makes or breaks a fighter, especially at lower levels are the stat rolls. The difference between a fighter with 17 STR and 18/00 is huge. Heck, the difference between 18/49 and 18/00 is huge.

The classes are out whack. Cavalier > Fighter. But the Cavalier requires higher stats, you say? Yes, but that's not a real downside. If a character has higher stats, he's rewarded twice, once for the stats themselves, and also for better classes he can take. And then there's the difference between magic users and fighting classes. I can cast 2 spells, and then sit around for hours. On the other hand, a mage can cast a sleep spell and knock 1/2 the party with no save. Except that elves and cavaliers are 90% resistant, and elves are the best race, so . ..

Remove ads