Any AD&D 1st Edition players here?

Aitch Eye

First Post
I'm playing in a 1e campaign that started in 1983, though I didn't join it until '89. The DM decided to convert it as soon as 3e came out, but it's taking a little longer than expected (we've been on a fairly irregular and widely-spaced schedule).

While everyone wants to convert, and prefers most things about 3e, I'm not sure it's the best fit for the campaign and DM's style. The PCs range from 3rd to 10th lvl, he does a lot of it off the top of his head (even major, direction changing stuff), and there are a few other factors that make me wonder whether it can work quite as well. What we may actually need is a system that's far more rules-lite than either edition.

Last edited:

Aitch Eye

First Post
EricNoah said:

Let's Pretend, 1st Edition, has the lightest rules I've ever used.

Just occasionally, it's amounted to that. ;)

An example to clarify what I mean: everyone really, really likes the removal of racial class limitations and multiclassing restrictions, but there's some psychological barrier to just removing them without switching to a whole new set of rules.

Perhaps I should have said "a more streamlined set of rules" in reference to 1e.

Last edited:

I'd jump at the chance to play 1e or Hackmaster! I started off playing 5 and a half years ago with first edition and had a blast. Sure some of the rules are a bit funky, but it's great for nostalgia at the very least. I don't think I'd want to DM first edition... but playing....yeah... I'd do that. (Not to mention if it's authentic 1e, the DM will have the old DM screen that has kickass art on it.. :D )

Cedric

First Post
Every saturday I play in a 1st Edition game. We are having a great time and the DM does a fabulous job.

Every other Sunday, I run a 3rd Edition game.

<shrugs> I like 'em both.

Cedric

Remove ads