Any chess players

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
How does one determine whether they "play chess" ?
They…check.

giphy.gif

ichabod

Legned
As another person who has made their own chess boards, here's a tip on making nice ones: buy vinyl from a fabric shop. You can get vinyl very similar to the vinyl used for tournament chess sets by the yard from fabric stores. Then get a nice long ruler and some permanent markers, and you have a very nice variant chess board you can roll up and take with you. I made 10x8 and hexagonal boards this way.

jolt

Adventurer
I used to play chess regularly, but eventually I admit I got bored with it. In FIDE chess, two decent (or better) players of equal ability play to a draw too often. I do like many of the variants, though. Shogi is my favorite. I've wanted to build a Jetan set for some time but I never seem to get around to it. The chessvariants.org webpage has a lot of good material on it.

Yora

Legend
I have not played chess in ages, but I do occasionally watch chess game analysis videos on youtube. Some of them are just hilarious, and I understand enough of the game to understand when something amazing is happening.

Like a player having only one available move for 11 moves in a row before being checkmated.
Or hypothetical nonsense like the Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Queen attack.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In FIDE chess, two decent (or better) players of equal ability play to a draw too often.
I had a little tell that others in the chess club never caught onto: if I was accelerating my pace of play, I was probably trying to force a stalemate after I screwed something up.

I forced a LOT of stalemates. 😎🤣

Richards

Legend
I made my variant chess boards on poster board (orange for the Jetan set - it's traditional), colored in the black squares with a Sharpie (for the hexagonal board I cut out black and gray hexagons and glued them into place accordingly), and then had the board laminated at a craft store for a small fee.

Johnathan

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I enjoy chess recreationally (i.e. I'm not part of any sort of league or organization for it nowadays), having been in the chess club back when I was in public school.
I am sort of like this, was in chess club, in fact we also used meetings to play board games, and RPG's back then, though I don't play chess much anymore as it became rather stressful, except I do play an occasional game still, such as at a cafe or something.

Remove ads