Are you ready for some Football (Americano)!

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
TBF, I thought the 49ers had a chance until they had to kick a FG on their first drive in OT. I agree with some folks saying that asking for the ball first was a mistake; they might've forced a punt on 4th down but they weren't stopping KC from picking up 10 yards in 4 plays.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
The real killer of this game (besides a missed PAT) was 4th Q 2 min drill. Every team, I mean every team, goes into soft under belly prevent D. It fails at an alarming rate to win games and i'm not sure why it keeps getting used?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
The real killer of this game (besides a missed PAT) was 4th Q 2 min drill. Every team, I mean every team, goes into soft under belly prevent D. It fails at an alarming rate to win games and i'm not sure why it keeps getting used?
Ya, I don't get that at all. they let KC in FG range in like 4 plays.......they'd been so good all game, then they change strategy?

payn

Ya, I don't get that at all. they let KC in FG range in like 4 plays.......they'd been so good all game, then they change strategy?
Right the prevent D is even worse in FG situation as its exactly what the offense needs to stay alive.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Just read an interesting question.....do you want the ball first in this overtime? Because if you get it second, you know if you need a TD (in these rules).......and I don't know the answer!
I don’t think it’s clear cut.

Speaking of, what’s the rule of team 1 scores a touch down, team 2 scores a touchdown and then team 1 scores a field goal? Does team 1 win the OT game in that scenario or does team 2 get another chance to score?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I don’t think it’s clear cut.

Speaking of, what’s the rule of team 1 scores a touch down, team 2 scores a touchdown and then team 1 scores a field goal? Does team 1 win the OT game in that scenario?
Yes, in these rules each team gets the ball at least once....but after that it is sudden death if they are tied after the first two possessions.

I also agree it isn't clear cut what to do, but I want the extra information about what I need to do. Plus, really, against KC? I'm going for it on 4th down and less than 7 or 8, because they are scoring a TD....

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I actually think that missed PAT might have been a blessing in disguise. Being up by 4 means they can't settle for a FG for a tie to force overtime, they have to go for the TD. And as gassed as the D was, they were probably going to get it.

payn

I actually think that missed PAT might have been a blessing in disguise. Being up by 4 means they can't settle for a FG for a tie to force overtime, they have to go for the TD. And as gassed as the D was, they were probably going to get it.
Mayhaps, D could have afforded to be a bit more aggressive up by 4 though. . That goal line play call in OT was a great one, and Mahommes sold it perfectly though.

R_J_K75

Legend
One of the best Super Bowls I've ever watched, and I say that as a 49ers fan.
I had to look it up as I didn't recall a closer scoring Super Bowl ever and I was right, XXV, Bills vs Giants, 19-20 respectively.
Also correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe that that was the first walk-off touchdown in Super Bowl history
Super Bowl LI, Feb 5, 2017 - New England vs. Atlanta, Patriots won with a walk-off TD. I watched the game but I was drunk so I couldn't remember

5 Closest Super Bowls

Remove ads