D&D 5E Assualt on Dire Wood [OOC]

Skarsgard

Explorer
I'll be up for grouped initiative. I agree with Steve that it will free up people to post when they can, rather than missing a posting window and we have to wait for someone who may be AFK for a while.

Just my 2 cents

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
You hit! I was trying to find a more interesting way of narrating the damage done.

I was reading this passage from the phb:

Hit points represent a combination of physical and mental durability, the will to live, and luck. Creatures with more hit points are more difficult to kill. Those
with fewer hit points are more fragile.

So you did the full damage, I was just trying to write something more slightly interesting than "the arrow thuds in". The amount of damage it appears to have taken will be reflective of how many hitpoints the creature has. But I can see it is causing some confusion.

The creature is not prone, just crouching.

Got it; thanks and yay for the hit!
with the 4 damage I forgot to add in, that's a cool 25 hp! Not bad for a puny rogue/fighter/warlock! ;-)
Cheers,

SG

River Song

Explorer
What ever is easiest for you [MENTION=6805287]3SpdDragster[/MENTION] but that kinds of non-commitment is not really helpful. ;)

I think we give grouped initiative a go on the next combat, if we survive this one (those winged guys can take a pounding). :p

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
So are we going with individual ini now? I rather liked having two DM updates per round myself (i.e. 3 player posts, DM update, 3 player posts, etc). Seemed like a nice compromise?

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Hey Guys...

I love the idea of big Yann mowing down our enemies with his horse, but I thought there was something fishy action-economy-wize. I looked into it and I don't think it is allowed for a warhorse. Dash, Disengage, and Dodge are the only actions it can take when it is controlled by Yann.

This is from the phb page 198 (copied from the SRD, so no IP infringement):
[sblock=Controlling_a_mount]
While you're mounted, you have two options. You
can either control the mount or allow it to act
independently. Intelligent creatures, such as dragons,
act independently.
You can control a mount only if it has been trained
to accept a rider. Domesticated horses, donkeys, and
similar creatures are assum ed to have such training.
The initiative of a controlled mount changes to match
yours when you mount it. It moves as you direct it, and
it has only three action options: Dash, Disengage, and
Dodge.
A controlled mount can move and act even on
the turn that you mount it.
An independent mount retains its place in the
initiative order. Bearing a rider puts no restrictions on
the actions the mount can take, and it moves and acts
as it wishes. It might flee from combat, rush to attack
and devour a badly injured foe, or otherwise act against
your wishes.
In either case, if the mount provokes an opportunity
attack while you’re on it, the attacker can target you
or the mount.[/sblock]

Additional reinforcement/me overselling: Jeremy Crawford's take on warhorse actions. Please take note of the "instead" in the answer. In case you're wondering, he's the lead game designer for 5e.

A 2 Int warhorse, if acting independently, would likely go to a meadow and eat grass instead of fighting. Now if Yann finds himself a dragon to ride, that would be a different story, but the dragon would do what it prefers, rather than only take the rider's orders...

I'm sorry [MENTION=63746]Binder Fred[/MENTION], I hope you won't hold a grudge...
Cheers,

SG

3SpdDragster - Note that I centered the sleep spell on the winged creature but it has a radius of 20 ft. meaning, the Orcs might fall to the sleep effect as well - sorry for not writign about it in the IC thread

3SpdDragster

First Post
Hey Guys...

I love the idea of big Yann mowing down our enemies with his horse, but I thought there was something fishy action-economy-wize. I looked into it and I don't think it is allowed for a warhorse. Dash, Disengage, and Dodge are the only actions it can take when it is controlled by Yann.

This is from the phb page 198 (copied from the SRD, so no IP infringement):
[sblock=Controlling_a_mount]
While you're mounted, you have two options. You
can either control the mount or allow it to act
independently. Intelligent creatures, such as dragons,
act independently.
You can control a mount only if it has been trained
to accept a rider. Domesticated horses, donkeys, and
similar creatures are assum ed to have such training.
The initiative of a controlled mount changes to match
yours when you mount it. It moves as you direct it, and
it has only three action options: Dash, Disengage, and
Dodge.
A controlled mount can move and act even on
the turn that you mount it.
An independent mount retains its place in the
initiative order. Bearing a rider puts no restrictions on
the actions the mount can take, and it moves and acts
as it wishes. It might flee from combat, rush to attack
and devour a badly injured foe, or otherwise act against
your wishes.
In either case, if the mount provokes an opportunity
attack while you’re on it, the attacker can target you
or the mount.[/sblock]

Additional reinforcement/me overselling: Jeremy Crawford's take on warhorse actions. Please take note of the "instead" in the answer. In case you're wondering, he's the lead game designer for 5e.

A 2 Int warhorse, if acting independently, would likely go to a meadow and eat grass instead of fighting. Now if Yann finds himself a dragon to ride, that would be a different story, but the dragon would do what it prefers, rather than only take the rider's orders...

I'm sorry [MENTION=63746]Binder Fred[/MENTION], I hope you won't hold a grudge...
Cheers,

SG

I'll read into to it, the actions will stand but I apologise for not picking up on this before hand. [MENTION=63746]Binder Fred[/MENTION] if you have any references that could help me out, that would be appreciated.

Good question Steve.

3SpdDragster

First Post
3SpdDragster - Note that I centered the sleep spell on the winged creature but it has a radius of 20 ft. meaning, the Orcs might fall to the sleep effect as well - sorry for not writign about it in the IC thread

No worries, I will keep this in mind in future. I suppose it is moot at the moment as they have been killed but it could be crucial for another situation.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)

3SpdDragster

First Post
So are we going with individual ini now? I rather liked having two DM updates per round myself (i.e. 3 player posts, DM update, 3 player posts, etc). Seemed like a nice compromise?

Currently we are doing individual. It just so happened that it split nicely. However, I too like a couple of updates per round and will continue to do it no matter which way we go.

3SpdDragster

First Post
From Controlling a Mount (PH 198):

You can either control the mount or allow it to act independently. Intelligent creatures, such as dragons, act independently.
These are 2 separate sentences. The first sentence applies to mounts. The second sentence applies to intelligent creatures. While an intelligent creature can be ridden, they are not classified as mounts, and any attempt to refer to a dragon as your mount may have unintended consequences (eg - being eaten).

1. If the player decides to control their mount then:

It's initiative changes to match the rider
It moves as the rider directs, and can only take the 3 actions Dodge, Disengage and Dash.

2. If the player decides to let the mount act independently then:

It retains it's own initiative
The mount moves and acts as it wishes, which may not be what the rider wants. They cannot choose which enemy the mount targets, which attack it uses, or prevent it from fleeing if it is badly wounded.

I would allow a player to switch between controlling a mount and letting it act independently in combat.

So [MENTION=63746]Binder Fred[/MENTION] if you control Frigate it is as per 1. above. If you do 2. it will be up to me and the horse will act on it's own initiative and potentially attack or do something else.

As a DM liberty a mount can be used to trample when controlled by sacrificing one of the riders attacks (if you only have 1, you lose your attack).

Seem fair?

Remove ads