• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Assualt on Dire Wood [OOC]

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
From Controlling a Mount (PH 198):

You can either control the mount or allow it to act independently. Intelligent creatures, such as dragons, act independently.
These are 2 separate sentences. The first sentence applies to mounts. The second sentence applies to intelligent creatures. While an intelligent creature can be ridden, they are not classified as mounts, and any attempt to refer to a dragon as your mount may have unintended consequences (eg - being eaten).

1. If the player decides to control their mount then:

It's initiative changes to match the rider
It moves as the rider directs, and can only take the 3 actions Dodge, Disengage and Dash.

2. If the player decides to let the mount act independently then:

It retains it's own initiative
The mount moves and acts as it wishes, which may not be what the rider wants. They cannot choose which enemy the mount targets, which attack it uses, or prevent it from fleeing if it is badly wounded.

I would allow a player to switch between controlling a mount and letting it act independently in combat.

So [MENTION=63746]Binder Fred[/MENTION] if you control Frigate it is as per 1. above. If you do 2. it will be up to me and the horse will act on it's own initiative and potentially attack or do something else.

As a DM liberty a mount can be used to trample when controlled by sacrificing one of the riders attacks (if you only have 1, you lose your attack).

Seem fair?

Definitely, this is what I would have ruled also, but for trained mounts such as warhorses. I doubt donkeys and oxes would willingly trampede enemies. Even an untrained riding hose would be a bit of a stretch...
I also like the image of he warrior that uses his warhorse to push/trampede enemies, and finish them wih the swing of his weapon.
My 2 cents...
Cheers,

SG

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Well now I just want a Battle OX. :p

But you'll need to be a dwarf outlander barbarian, with the bonus musical instrument from the background being his vocal cords.
His quirk would be that he keeps trying to get his of ox to sing along! Many attempts, some would say futile, to train the beast during downtime ;-)
Ok, if Dorn dies, I'm going for it ;-)
Cheers,

SG

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Good morning guys,

I'm getting my daily compulsion of rules-lawyering, and wanted to talk about hiding.

Hiding in combat is an action and requires a successful hide check, DC against observer's perception check. Unless you get an extra action (like the rogue's cunning action or possibly through the fighter's action-surge), you cannot attack and hide in the same round (see phb page 192). Hiding is also described phb p177.

Another noteworthy point, that will be a hindrance to Dorn but a boon to Rikka, is that you cannot hide while being observed, unless you get a special ability such as the wood elves' Mask of the wild. The natural phenomena must be present and the hide check (requiring an action ) must be successful.This is the reference, see page 2
Cheers,

SG

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Kesem notes to himself that his slumber spell failed to bring down the winged Orc horrors - probably they are too strong for the spell or immune to it. Seeing that his comrads manage the fight and realising that he is not a combat mage but one that manipulate the minds of others with soft words before battle occures he decides to do nothing.

Hey [MENTION=24609]Strahd_Von_Zarovich[/MENTION], can I recommend either taking the dodge action (disadvantage to attacks against Kesem), or using minor illusion (30 ft range) to harass the ennemy? Keep in mind that you can also use the help action (mage at a distance to distract an ennemy, if approved by [MENTION=6805287]3SpdDragster[/MENTION]).

FYI, you can do fun things with minor illusion, and the spell clearly states that enemies need to spend an action to interact with the illusion to see through it; which has fun battlefield control applications (create a 5x5 enclosure around an enemy, and they have to waste their action otherwise they can't move through it. This will likely be more fun for you during combats than doing nothing. Also to keep in mind, you can create a wall with a small slit in front of Dorn or a stationary front line fighter, so he gets to see the enemy but he is hidden from them, granting him advantage to attack rolls (which wouldn't be useful this combat because of faery fire, but in another, could really help!).
My 2 cents...
Cheers,

SG

3SpdDragster

First Post
Hey [MENTION=24609]Strahd_Von_Zarovich[/MENTION], can I recommend either taking the dodge action (disadvantage to attacks against Kesem), or using minor illusion (30 ft range) to harass the ennemy? Keep in mind that you can also use the help action (mage at a distance to distract an ennemy, if approved by [MENTION=6805287]3SpdDragster[/MENTION]).

FYI, you can do fun things with minor illusion, and the spell clearly states that enemies need to spend an action to interact with the illusion to see through it; which has fun battlefield control applications (create a 5x5 enclosure around an enemy, and they have to waste their action otherwise they can't move through it. This will likely be more fun for you during combats than doing nothing. Also to keep in mind, you can create a wall with a small slit in front of Dorn or a stationary front line fighter, so he gets to see the enemy but he is hidden from them, granting him advantage to attack rolls (which wouldn't be useful this combat because of faery fire, but in another, could really help!).
My 2 cents...
Cheers,

SG

All good options. Also, taking a look at your abilities and spells:

Hypnotic Gaze
Tasha’s Hideous Laughter (C).
Suggestion (C)
Haste (C), Lightning Bolt
Eye's of charming.

Are all other options.

For this round I will count it that you have declared dodge. Not that it really mattered in light of my last IC post.

3SpdDragster

First Post
Good morning guys,

I'm getting my daily compulsion of rules-lawyering, and wanted to talk about hiding.

Hiding in combat is an action and requires a successful hide check, DC against observer's perception check. Unless you get an extra action (like the rogue's cunning action or possibly through the fighter's action-surge), you cannot attack and hide in the same round (see phb page 192). Hiding is also described phb p177.

Another noteworthy point, that will be a hindrance to Dorn but a boon to Rikka, is that you cannot hide while being observed, unless you get a special ability such as the wood elves' Mask of the wild. The natural phenomena must be present and the hide check (requiring an action ) must be successful.This is the reference, see page 2
Cheers,

SG

You are most certainly correct. Both characters have been declaring their intent to "hide" and I have been managing that behind the scenes where it matters. :)

Yes, I will go for dodge but I have some ideas for later rounds.
As for the stronger spells like haste, I'm saving it for later if the group will encounter a moderate opponent that Orc

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
And today's topic is - Moving!

FYI,

Moving out of an enemy's reach triggers an opportunity attack, unless you use the disengage action (except if the enemy has the sentinel feat or other special ability). If you don't have a bonus action to disengage (rogue's cunning action, or fighter's action surge), you have to choose between disengaging or attacking (and staying within the reach), if you don't want to trigger an AOO.

See PHB
p191 Moving around other creatures
p195 opportunity attacks

Moving into an enemy's reach doesn't trigger an AOO, except if they have the pole-arm master feat or other special ability.

Also noteworthy: you can get a mount to move AND take the disengage action, while still getting your attacks as a rider. Or you can get a double move (move+dash) but will trigger an AOO if leaving an enemy's reach. For this game with [MENTION=6805287]3SpdDragster[/MENTION] special allowance, if the mount gets the "trampling charge" action, you won't have any action left for to your mount to disengage (action), unless you accept the AOO.

Actually, I thing it is worth clarifying what a warhorse "trampling charge" is [MENTION=6805287]3SpdDragster[/MENTION] for the special allowance. If it's a bonus action, then a rider can still get his mount to move & disengage (I think this should be ok). I also don't think the warhorse should get to attack with the hooves though. The choices I understood are 1) get horse to move and do allowed actions (dash, disenge, etc) + trampling charge but no attacks, and rider gets 1 attack, 2) mount's standard actions + rider gets all attacks, or 3) rider takes no attacks and mounts acts as it wants to (dangerous for a low intelligence mount).

I hope you guys don't mind me doing this rules-lawyering. Combat really makes the rules stand out and I got to learn the rules of 5e on these boards by others pointing out the things I was overlooking...

As a side-note, I think I'm going to have Dorn stop using the -5 to attack/+10 damage from the sharpshooter feat. The loss of precision is hurting too much, and those silvered arrows are expensive! ;-)
Cheers,

SG

Last edited:

Remove ads