• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Assualt on Dire Wood [OOC]

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Trampling Charge auto-triggers on a successful hooves attack (after charging 20'), so I'm thinking we just go for the standard "trade one of the ridder's attack for a hooves attack" mechanic?

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Trampling Charge auto-triggers on a successful hooves attack (after charging 20'), so I'm thinking we just go for the standard "trade one of the ridder's attack for a hooves attack" mechanic?

My understanding was that you exchanged 1 of your attacks for the warhorse's trample. DM's call, but if you want to see a similar mechanic, look at the beastmaster ranger. It's either the beast's attacks, or the ranger's attacks, to avoid getting extra actions. Otherwise, you exchange 1 attack for the hoove attacks + a possible trample, which is a huge amount of extra actions.

Just getting a trample is a nice boon as an exchange for 1 attack. However, you should be getting opportunity attacks as you leave opponents' reach.

Dm's call though.
Cheers,

SG

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
As mentionned, Trampling Charge costs no action for the horse to use (after that successful Hooves attack). Why would it take one for the rider? I think 3Spd meant: "a mount can [do one of its attacks] by sacrificing one of the riders attacks" when he said trample... 3Spd?

In general, I think you might be getting stuck on trying to balance this globally rather than in the specific case we're dealing with, Steve? In practice, Trampling Charge has a conditional trigger (20' charge), meaning it can't be used every round for various reasons (as we've seen for the past 2 rounds), and Yann gets the equivalent of -4 tohit compared to his regular attack. In exchange, he gets the possibility of trying to trip his opponent if he hits, with a further possibility of doing extra damage if the trip is successful (again, at -4)... That seems fairly well balanced to me, with just enough incentive to want to set it up if you get the chance.

This is the way Trampling Charge was built on a 1/2 CR beast, so I would hardly call it overpowered for a 5th level character to use?

River Song

Explorer
As mentionned, Trampling Charge costs no action for the horse to use (after that successful Hooves attack). Why would it take one for the rider? I think 3Spd meant: "a mount can [do one of its attacks] by sacrificing one of the riders attacks" when he said trample... 3Spd?

Without trampling (lol) on [MENTION=6805287]3SpdDragster[/MENTION] 's toes, I think this was the intent. i stand to be corrected. :)

3SpdDragster

First Post
I think 3Spd meant: "a mount can [do one of its attacks] by sacrificing one of the riders attacks" when he said trample... 3Spd?

Yes, this is what I meant. I will look into it a bit more, but my gut instinct is the play it as above. If balance issues start creeping in, I will adjust accordingly.

Just another thing to add in, a warhorse is an expensive outlay for a character and I think it should give it's rider some benefits. But bear in mind it is not strictly RAW and it is important to remember that for other games.

So I will read into it, but to be honest my interpretation will be just that, my interpretation.

I'm quite puzzeled why everyone is attacking with advantage ?
Giving advantage for higher ground is too strong, maybe an attack bonus ?? How come Rikka gets Advantage as she dance around ? Am I missing something ?
Giving an advantage is not something lightly it is something that may tip the outcome of battle.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
I'm quite puzzeled why everyone is attacking with advantage ?
Giving advantage for higher ground is too strong, maybe an attack bonus ?? How come Rikka gets Advantage as she dance around ? Am I missing something ?
Giving an advantage is not something lightly it is something that may tip the outcome of battle.

Bumble cast the very potent 1st level spell : faery fire, and all enemies failed their saves. This has a HUGE impact on our battle!
Cheers,

SG

Last edited:

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Kesem conjures an invisible imp that pops into existence next to the winged creature, the imp flies quietly around trying to distract the flying demon orc. Cast Minor Illusion

FYI, minor illusion allows the casting of an object only, not a creature. Also, Jeremy Crawford clarified that the object is stationnary. For a moving creature, you'll need to cast silent image, possibly augmented by minor illusion for the sound.
Cheers,

SG

Remove ads