• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Baldur's Gate 3 will now be releasing August 3rd on PC and September 6th on PS5, increased level cap, race & class details and more

I wish the dis/approval notifications wouldn't zoom past at the speed of light. I can make educated guesses who felt what way, but still.
Yeah there's a lot of info in this game which kind of flashes by and doesn't really get noted.

I had a very dramatic scene where, avoiding spoilers, one character had three stats permanently reduced by -2, and the game didn't actually communicate this. It was sort of implied it might happen if I didn't do something, but absolutely no messages came up. As the character was fine and normal and only seemed somewhat irritated at the end of it, I didn't go digging around (I should have noticed the HP drop as CON was one of the stats but it was just before a level up). So I only noticed 6 hours later when I was respec'ing the character! So that was a fun six hours to redo (it actually wasn't too bad because I changed some other choices too and got a build working I'd previous abandoned prematurely - also visited a shopkeeper I'd missed and wouldn't be able to go back to).

It seems like that should have warranted some fairly big messages or at least the character acting like something terrible had happened.

I notice you can see the exact numerical approval value for companions in the third tab of the character sheet thing. This is helpful and also shows that Karlach seems weirdly less moved than other companions by just about everything (unclear if this is a bug, feature, or a result of something I said to her or whatever), in both directions. Like what seemed like it'd be big disapproval? -1 actual approval movement. Also slightly annoyed with her to be honest because I've gone hugely out of my way to help her and she's like "Good" with me, whereas even bloody Lae'zel is on Exceptional. I have a feeling I took way too long to pick her up in Act 1 or something.

For now, I kind of rest my hand on my screenshot button (also because I like taking pics of my characters), so I can easily review what notifications flashed by in dialogs if needed... it's just ridiculous that it's something one of the hotfixes broke.

three stats permanently reduced by -2, and the game didn't actually communicate this

But yeah, there's stuff that just happens and you're just left wondering.

I notice you can see the exact numerical approval value for companions in the third tab of the character sheet thing

Ah, I hadn't actually noticed!

I'm running mods for 20% more xp required to level and lowered approval gains, because I heard so many people say that they felt overlevelled (on Tactician) from Act 2 onwards and maxing partymember approval in Act 1 seemed off.

Ondath

Hero
I have a feeling I took way too long to pick her up in Act 1 or something.
I think I have the same issue. Since you need to deal with at least some gnolls before getting to her, I waited until I was Level 4 to recruit her, and that was fairly late in the first area. I also wanted to romance her but ended up not being forward enough in the early dialogues, so I got locked out of that forever.

However, Shadowheart's story is going in a fairly interesting direction (I'm halfway through Act 2 at the moment), and I romanced her so that will be fairly interesting!

sim-h

Explorer
I think I have the same issue. Since you need to deal with at least some gnolls before getting to her, I waited until I was Level 4 to recruit her, and that was fairly late in the first area. I also wanted to romance her but ended up not being forward enough in the early dialogues, so I got locked out of that forever.

However, Shadowheart's story is going in a fairly interesting direction (I'm halfway through Act 2 at the moment), and I romanced her so that will be fairly interesting!
At least in Early Access, I was able to get to Karlach from the far end of the exterior of the goblin village, near where the dog is, by jumping through the gap and crossing the river - hey presto, straight to Karlach. DIdn't try on my current full release run, but I'd assume you can still do that.

MarkB

Legend
At least in Early Access, I was able to get to Karlach from the far end of the exterior of the goblin village, near where the dog is, by jumping through the gap and crossing the river - hey presto, straight to Karlach. DIdn't try on my current full release run, but I'd assume you can still do that.
Yes, you can - saw someone take that approach in an actual play video the other day.

Ondath

Hero
Huh, I tried to find such a path for the entire north section of the village and couldn't find it, and the only way through seemed like the broken bridge. I guess I'll try that in a future playthrough!

Yes, you can - saw someone take that approach in an actual play video the other day.
Yes, hopping around on stepping stones is the best way to find her. However, without meta-knowledge or picking up Wyll you are unlikely to find her early, unless you play as her. I did think they might move her closer to the beach.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Game was playing fine on the intro ship. Got the beach and its running like poop. Put everything on Low, lowest resolution etc etc etc. I think its running OK now....

Anyway question:

I have a downed party member. I want to feed them a potion. How do I do that? HAd one drop and the only way I could find to get them up was to short rest...

MarkB

Legend
Yes, hopping around on stepping stones is the best way to find her. However, without meta-knowledge or picking up Wyll you are unlikely to find her early, unless you play as her. I did think they might move her closer to the beach.
If you've got Wyll's quest there will be a marker for her on the map, but if you don't know the Origin characters you may not realise she's playable.

I wasn't paying attention, and between Wyll and the paladins telling how bad she was, I had Astarion assassinate her from stealth. Then the game guilted me with talking about how I'd killed her despite her (never voiced) protestations of innocence, and Wyll was all "I should feel good about this, so why doesn't it feel right?" and I relented and quickloaded to talk to her.

MarkB

Legend
Game was playing fine on the intro ship. Got the beach and its running like poop. Put everything on Low, lowest resolution etc etc etc. I think its running OK now....

Anyway question:

I have a downed party member. I want to feed them a potion. How do I do that? HAd one drop and the only way I could find to get them up was to short rest...
If you have an action available and click on a dying team-mate, you should automatically perform the Help action to revive them with one hit point.

If you need to revive them from a distance, you can try throwing a potion at them. If it hits, it will be administered to them.

If they're fully dead, you can use a Revivify scroll, but the action for these is slightly less obvious. You need to click on the scroll in a character's hotbar, then click on the dead character or their portrait, then click on an empty spot for them to appear in.

Remove ads