• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Baldur's Gate Comic from IDW Announcement.

Not anymore. Before this opportunity came available to him, he left the Pathfinder book. He was hoping to do something non-fantasy to not get typecast. :)
I hadn't heard he left Pathfinder. He's still the writer of the second series as of the most recent issue.

If he wants to avoid being typecast, getting yet another job as a fantasy writer seems like exactly the wrong move.

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I hadn't heard he left Pathfinder. He's still the writer of the second series as of the most recent issue.

Based on what I've read (and I can't find it right this moment), I think he's planning on finishing out that story. Which means in his world he's already left the book, and it won't be obvious at the comic shop for months. I think.

If he wants to avoid being typecast, getting yet another job as a fantasy writer seems like exactly the wrong move.

He acknowledged that in an interview. But he said in an interview months ago D&D was a dream he'd love to write a comic for. That dream coming true appears to be worth more than the typecast concerns.

But, hey, I hadn't heard his name before yesterday. If someone else has other/better insight or info, go for it.

Thaumaturge.

Jester Canuck said:
I'm curious if they'll address Minsc and Boo somehow surviving the 100+ year time jump. Really, from when Baldur's Gate is set to Tyranny of Dragons they're looking at closer to 125 years.

They've been turned to stone for the last 125 years, hiding in plain sight in downtown Baldur's Gate.

We are all heroes ... you and Boo and I ... hamsters and rangers everywhere!

Chaltab

Adventurer
Seriously, I'm actually enjoying the hell out of Greenwood's The Herald, which is both the first Sundering novel I've read and the first Greenwood novel I've read, and it prominently features at least four characters who predate the Spellplague. It's clear they're serious about handwaving this retcon -- if that's even the right word. The old Realms is back, for better or worse.
Well it's easier to have characters survive when they're immortal races like elves or author's pet Mary Sues like Elminster. What I want to see is what Zub comes up with for the human and the space hamster.

Krafus

First Post
Well, this is one comic I'll be interested in, but... no offense to all the Minsc lovers on this thread, but I do wish Wizards would stop trying to coast on the popularity of computer games that are now more than 10 years old.

Boarstorm

First Post
(snip) I do wish Wizards would stop trying to coast on the popularity of computer games that are now more than 10 years old.

That's marketing for ya. And hell, entertainment, too. "Give the people (more of) what they want (or like, I suppose)."

Hmm... my quote's applicability broke down somewhere. I'll have to get that fixed.

Point being that from a sales perspective, the tried-and-true is much more attractive to a large publicly traded company than New Coke.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
Well it's easier to have characters survive when they're immortal races like elves or author's pet Mary Sues like Elminster. What I want to see is what Zub comes up with for the human and the space hamster.

Okay. Only one question: would you be disappointed if it were as "Mary Sue" as the Skullkickers' apparent (or in one case, literal) immortality?

Well, this is one comic I'll be interested in, but... no offense to all the Minsc lovers on this thread, but I do wish Wizards would stop trying to coast on the popularity of computer games that are now more than 10 years old.

Ten years old, perhaps, but only just rereleased. That's what we call "not a coincidence." This is a double whammy -- tons of older players remember these games through rose-colored nostalgia goggles and a big chunk of (arguably) the most important part of their target demographic is now playing them for the first time.

I never beat either Baldur's Gate -- I am not a fan of the format -- but for my part I'd rather they keep capitalizing on a old game with a good rep than listen to the fandom dread then hate then bemoan EA's Baldur's Gate 3.

evileeyore

Mrrrph
Okay. Only one question: would you be disappointed if it were as "Mary Sue" as the Skullkickers' apparent (or in one case, literal) immortality?
Not sure I'd call that "Mary Sueism". Considering the hell that character went through immediately after becoming "immortal".

Dying ain't pleasant and I think the death count is up to 20 or 30 times now?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads