• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Barbarian Playtest Experiences

MadLordOfMilk

First Post
I found mine to be incredibly delicate. 14 Dex, so with Hide he's only 1 AC behind Chainmail. I was a yo-yo, flipping between unconcious and unbloodied as fast as the cleric and warlord could heal me. Did some nice damage though. Was fun, and a change of pace from the cleric and warlock I normally play.
Ya know, it seems (at least in my experience) that at least one character experiences that every session. That is, being the guy who gets knocked unconscious, healed, knocked unconscious, healed, knocked unconscious, etc ad infinitum.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
That's not entirely true. PHB 294:

I can't help thinking that they would have been better to say

"Temp hit points never stack" in the PHB and, if there ever was a situation where they wanted stacking hp, they would call it out as an exception in that particular power.

Would be a lot clearer for people IMO.

Cheers

Skornn2k7

First Post
I was looking at Pressing Strike, it seems a 'lil too powerful for an At-Will, what do you guys think ?
My main concern is the shift 2 that allows you to move thru enemies, seems more like an encounter power to me.

Pressing Strike [FONT=Mentor Sans Std,Mentor Sans Std][FONT=Mentor Sans Std,Mentor Sans Std]Barbarian Attack 1[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Mentor Std,Mentor Std][FONT=Mentor Std,Mentor Std]You push lesser foes from your path, moving through the lines of battle at will.[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Mentor Std,Mentor Std]
[/FONT]At-Will Primal, Weapon
Standard Action Melee [FONT=Mentor Sans Std,Mentor Sans Std][FONT=Mentor Sans Std,Mentor Sans Std]weapon[/FONT]
[/FONT]Target: [FONT=Mentor Sans Std,Mentor Sans Std][FONT=Mentor Sans Std,Mentor Sans Std]One creature[/FONT]
[/FONT]Effect: [FONT=Mentor Sans Std,Mentor Sans Std][FONT=Mentor Sans Std,Mentor Sans Std]Before the attack, you shift 2 squares. You can move through an enemy’s space during the shift, but you can’t end there.[/FONT]
[/FONT]Attack: [FONT=Mentor Sans Std,Mentor Sans Std][FONT=Mentor Sans Std,Mentor Sans Std]Strength vs. AC[/FONT]
[/FONT]Hit: [FONT=Mentor Sans Std,Mentor Sans Std][FONT=Mentor Sans Std,Mentor Sans Std]1[W] + Strength modifier damage, and you push the target 1 square. If you are raging, the attack deals 1d6 extra damage.[/FONT]
[FONT=Mentor Sans Std,Mentor Sans Std]Increase damage to 2[W] + Strength modifier at 21st level.[/FONT]

[/FONT]

amysrevenge

First Post
I was looking at Pressing Strike, it seems a 'lil too powerful for an At-Will, what do you guys think ?
My main concern is the shift 2 that allows you to move thru enemies, seems more like an encounter power to me.

Well, consider what you are giving up to have it I suppose.

1) You're not getting the extra 1d6 damage that Howling Strike deals (unless you're raging).
2) You're not getting the temp hit points from Recuperating Strike
3) Unless you're human, choosing Pressing Strike means you're giving up even having one or the other of the At-Wills.

So far I've used Pressing Strike two times ever, and Howling Strike over a dozen times (only played a couple of times now).

If the shift was after the attack instead of before, it would be too powerful by far (letting you set up for a charge for free). As it is, it is good - arguably a *bit* too good - but not ridiculous.

the8bitdeity

First Post
Well, consider what you are giving up to have it I suppose.

1) You're not getting the extra 1d6 damage that Howling Strike deals (unless you're raging).
2) You're not getting the temp hit points from Recuperating Strike
3) Unless you're human, choosing Pressing Strike means you're giving up even having one or the other of the At-Wills.

So far I've used Pressing Strike two times ever, and Howling Strike over a dozen times (only played a couple of times now).

If the shift was after the attack instead of before, it would be too powerful by far (letting you set up for a charge for free). As it is, it is good - arguably a *bit* too good - but not ridiculous.

Also, I noticed the wording of pressing strike is that you shift 2 squares, not up to. Does that mean you HAVE to shift two squares before the attack? That could be an interesting limitation.

DandD

First Post
I do wonder. Does the barbarian have to always erupt some kind of elemental aura around himself? I'm not very keen on this.

WalterKovacs

First Post
I do wonder. Does the barbarian have to always erupt some kind of elemental aura around himself? I'm not very keen on this.

It depends on the type of rage.

However, the idea is that he's powered by the primal. So when he rages it's more than just a rage, it also has a primal "spirit" coming into his body. In some cases, like the frost wolf, it adds an elemental aura. But in other cases it's added speed or dealing extra untyped damage ... stuff that's not necessarily as "magical".

In fact, without having to pick lower level powers or power swap, you can pick powers all the way up without taking elemental auras (there are only three, a cold, a fire and a lightning ... there is also one that lets you go ethereal. Everything else can be played off as "physical" effects of the rage). This is only talking about long term encounter long effects of the attacks. The attack itself, and the damage it deals, may have elemental types as part of them.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads