• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Battlemats?

Are you going to use a battlemat in your 5e games?

_Luca_

First Post
Me too! I'm going to use them just for the main plot combats or any otherwise too much complicated maps. In other words I'll use miniatures to enhance visual and/or to keep track of the actions in complicated fights.

ThirdWizard

First Post
For me the whole point of playing D&D as opposed to other RPGs is that I get to pull out my miniature collection, so YES!

I've got a nice vinyl Chessex battlemat with hexes on one side and squares on the other that is just wonderful to use, and I've got a carrying case for my miniatures full of slots so that I can lug the minis I need around. There is nothing better than drawing out a room and then plopping down some terrible monster on the mat and saying "Roll for Initiative!" :devil:

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
I've spent the last year or so deprogramming my group from needing battlemats.

And then I got my Geek Chic table.

So, yeah, we'll be using mats, but mostly for big events.

Thaumaturge.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I voted "maybe", but by that I mean "sometimes". I haven't used one yet, but not because I'm opposed. I play in a situation where some players are physically present, and some are remoting in through Skype. So, while I can use Roll20 for maps, it's a little more difficult than normal, so I've thus far avoided it.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I use a battlemat and various Flip-mats, since I have a sizable collection of the D&D prepaints (like, all of them). But then, I've been using Battlemats and figures for nearly all my games for over 32 years. It's not an easy habit to break.

Remove ads