Best Cover Songs of All Time

Some of these have already been mentioned.

Marvin Gaye "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" is technically a cover; I also really like the Credence Clearwater Revival version.
Tina Turner "Proud Mary"
Aerosmith "Come Together"
Guns N Roses "Live and Let Die"
Elton John "Pinball Wizard"
Carpenters "Ticket to Ride"
Show of Hands "If I Needed Someone" (although I don't think I've ever actually heard the Beatles' original)

My least favourite cover is probably Westlife's cover of Uptown Girl , which sounds so like Billy Joel as to be pointless.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Best Use of Song in an Advertisement:
"I Heard It Through the Grapevine" as sung by the California Raisins.
(lyrics somewhat modified)

nyvinter

Adventurer
Speaking of cover albums then.

John Hammond Jr. did a cover album called Wicked Grin. Excellent bluesy covers of Tom Waits — produced by Tom Waits.

Thea Gilmore did a cover album called Loft Music that's also great.

And the William Elliott Whitmore song I posted above comes from Kilonova that features some really good takes.

(If I ever get to run that Ravenloft as a western campaign, this will be the theme song .)

Thank you everyone for turning this Into interesting covers rather than best.

I’ll just pick a fight for no reason, on Johnny Cash’s Hurt. I know people love it, and it’s a great cover imagining a young man’s song as an old man’s song. So it’s great for that, but really, do you believe it? It’s always sounded real phony to me. I don’t for a minute believe he regrets anything. Always came off as a performance to me, w/o true feeling. Also, after 60 years of being an naughty word you’re sorry you’re alone? Buh. I like the original, I think the over drama and naughty word realizing they’re an naughty word makes more sense young.

but whatever, thanks for all the good songs

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Thank you everyone for turning this Into interesting covers rather than best.

I’ll just pick a fight for no reason, on Johnny Cash’s Hurt. I know people love it, and it’s a great cover imagining a young man’s song as an old man’s song. So it’s great for that, but really, do you believe it? It’s always sounded real phony to me. I don’t for a minute believe he regrets anything. Always came off as a performance to me, w/o true feeling. Also, after 60 years of being an naughty word you’re sorry you’re alone? Buh. I like the original, I think the over drama and naughty word realizing they’re an naughty word makes more sense young.

but whatever, thanks for all the good songs
Cash was an addict to uppers / downers IRL before there was a Betty Ford Clinic or anything else to help you get off the junk. He had to do it the hard way, almost alone.
Cash could make you think that even a tall tale was the truth (see for instance Boy Named Sue). He came to Hurt and sounded like somebody who had been there ... because long ago, he had.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Here's a cover that seems ridiculous, should in no way work, but is actually incredibly good:
Katy Perry's acoustic cover of Electric Feel by the MGMT.

Remove ads