Best E-Reader for gaming?

UnknownAtThisTime

First Post
Thanks for sharing that.

Seriously though, a 7-inch screen? Does the new color nook display in landscape mode or something? (I know the original nook could only do pdfs in portrait).

Have you read any of the DDI stuff on your color nook? Just wondering. Thanks :)

plus one on the questions about DDI content on Nook Color.

caudor

Adventurer

However for reading a keyboard is a PITA, I have a 11.6' EXOPC Slate, which is basically a netbook without a keyboard and with a touch screen... but I have paid for the privilege. It works great for a reader (I have a 10' eink reader as wel, now retired cos this is better) and a portable PC for work...

Thank you for commenting! I spent part of the day reading reviews, checking the specs, etc. etc. Price from Microsoft store is reasonable as well. This thing looks sweet!

caudor

Adventurer
plus one on the questions about DDI content on Nook Color.

I googled around, and from what I've read: this is a great little device, but the screen size makes it difficult to read highly formatted pdfs or those with small text.

I'll do some more checking, but this one appears to be a no-go for DDI purposes.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Disclaimer: I don't DDI so I don't need an Internet connection.

I picked up a Sony eReader and use calibre so I can upload and convert all manner of other things. The regular Sony library software doesn't do as much. So far, so good. Eventually, I plan to upgrade to a color eReader of some stripe but for now this will be useful for my own purposes.

caudor

Adventurer
I looked at videos of the iPad and the Exopc. Both seem to zoom very well with pinch and zoom gestures. I'm not sure about e-ink devices like the Kindle DX or the Nook.

Perhaps someone with knowledge of the Android devices will chime in. I've seen others in this forum mention the Notion Ink Adam and a device called Xoom, both which are supposed to be that latest tech. Seems like Android 3.0 devices are really hot right now.

I have not seen any of these devices in person (yet), so please take my opinions with a grain of salt.

I like the iPad and the Exopc so far. However, iPad 2 is coming soon (April) so I've got plenty time to determine what I like the best.

falcarrion

First Post
If you can afford it go with the Ipad. I have a kindle dx and an Ipad.
The kindle dx is fine for books but for pdfs it lacks a decent zoom feature.
It has one, but it isn't great in my opinon.

Then there are the apps.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Disclaimer: I don't DDI so I don't need an Internet connection.

I picked up a Sony eReader and use calibre so I can upload and convert all manner of other things. The regular Sony library software doesn't do as much. So far, so good. Eventually, I plan to upgrade to a color eReader of some stripe but for now this will be useful for my own purposes.
I have also recently acquired a Sony eReader (6 inch screen), this about 7 months after getting a netbook. Frankly, I find it a much better reading experience than the netbook (or any other computer screen). First of all, the boot time is much less (plus I can leave it in sleep mode and wake it up very quickly). Then it's much lighter, isn't backlit, and can be read at any angle without glare. How many PDFs did I read recreationally on my netbook since last May? I think zero. I've already gone through a Pathfinder AP issue and a half, a chunk of the 3.5 Tome of Horrors, and the start of Doom of Listonshire on the eReader just since Christmas. Not to mention reading work stuff on it. I've also gotten calibre but haven't really needed to use it yet.

On zooming, etc: one of the reasons I went with the Sony rather than Kindle is better PDF support (from the reviews and comparisons). In particular, the touch screen allows very fine control on the amount of zooming and panning. The best zoom feature is the 2-column mode, which I've found works just about perfectly for nice readable text.

Remove ads