Best E-Reader for gaming?

As your eyes age, you may wish to re-evaluate this. While my Mom is not a gamer, one of the primary reasons she's getting an eReader of some kind is because she can't read standard text without significant eyestrain- and how well one zooms is going to be a major deciding factor in her purchase. If nothing else, she won't have to buy expensive hardcover large-print editions of things she intends to read & keep: a Bible, novels, etc.

She's in her mid-sixties. That may be me in twenty or so years. And you?

Good point, let me rephrase to 'for those with normal eyesight and of the average ages represented here at ENW and with the expected life of any e-device you won't need to pinch and zoom'

Happy?

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
If price is an issue, your best bet is a straight e-reader, I think.

Except that pretty much all e-readers suck at displaying PDFs in general and graphics/charts specifically. And, unfortunately, PDF is the standard for electronic game books and those PDFs are pretty heavy on graphics and charts. Seriously, people looking to spend less and get more from an e-reader specifically for the purpose of viewing RPG products will be disappointed. At this point, the best readers for electronic RPG books are iPads or laptops.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Except that pretty much all e-readers suck at displaying PDFs in general and graphics/charts specifically. And, unfortunately, PDF is the standard for electronic game books and those PDFs are pretty heavy on graphics and charts. Seriously, people looking to spend less and get more from an e-reader specifically for the purpose of viewing RPG products will be disappointed. At this point, the best readers for electronic RPG books are iPads or laptops.
I used to feel this way -- essentially that you want to be able to read a full page at full size -- but you really only need good zooming features to handle the graphics and charts. I've had no problem with either game or work PDFs on my ereader (both with plenty of graphics) using the zoom features. Sometimes I miss color, but I can go back and get that on a computer later if necessary. Frankly, though, the portability (weight) and eink of the ereader make it far superior for me. I spend enough time staring at back-lit computer screens for my work. (And ENWorld! ;))

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
This. But soon it will be hard to tell considerring that this is the year of the tablet.

By december the first question will be what os you want to use?
iOs. - iPad
Mac Os - macbooks.
Android non honeycomb (no dataplan) - nook, galexy tab wifi
Android honeycomb - eee slate, xoom
Windows 7 - slate, laptops, netbook
Linix - kindle, netbooks, laptops
Chromium - google web book.
Rim - who cares? It uses rim.
Symbion - Who cares? It uses symbion.

Eink? Kindle and nook only.

Access google books? All but kindle.

Could access kindle books (including via app)? Nook (if rooted) and everything else.

Could access nook books (including via app)? All but kindle.

Can actually open pdfs and display them well? Hahahahha. Sorry only netbooks, laptops, and maybe slate or chromium can do that currently.

falcarrion

First Post
What it really comes down to is your own personal preference. The Kindle is perfect for some, the Nook for others, and the Ipad for me at least. CES 2011 did show us that companies do see the Tablet format a worth while product.
There was 75 different tablets being shown at CES2011 this year. But most will not be out until later this year. It will be intresting how this thread would be like next year.
What I see as making or breaking a tablet will be the apps that the unit can load.

Last edited:

falcarrion

First Post
I have an older Sony reader, and it is fine for reading books. I am extremely happy with the Ipad. I feel the Ipad was a better purchase then the Sony e-reader, and the Kindle Dx. But that is my opinon.
When I bought the Sony e-reader, the Kindle DX didn't exsist.
When I bought The Kindle DX the Ipad didn't exsist.
For what I was looking for Ipad was a perfect fit and more.
And it just gets better with each firmware upgrade.

Vaslov

Explorer
I've used a Sony eReader. I got it before there were the other options out now so I really couldn't say if it was the best as I never compared.

Speaking of new technology I just picked up a Livescribe. This is the coolest thing I have seen in years. I wish this had existed when i was in college. Super fun to use in gaming to track what happened in a session.

Remove ads