Best E-Reader for gaming?

JRRNeiklot

First Post
I just got an Archos 70. $260 shipped. I use it for retro gaming, watching video and reading both E-books and pdfs. I absolutely love it. The 7 inch screen makes it more portable than an Ipad, and the Android os is a little better suited to tinkering than an Ipad. The only problem I have with it, is the refresh time for large pdfs. The Archos is a little RAM starved, so this is worse than on the IPAD, but on smaller pdfs it works great. You can forget about the search feature on larger pdfs, though.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Can actually open pdfs and display them well? Hahahahha. Sorry only netbooks, laptops, and maybe slate or chromium can do that currently.
Maybe I'm misreading you, but it seems like you're excluding the iPad (assuming you mean "slate" as in a model name, not as a category). The iPad has a number of fantastic PDF readers.

If price isn't an issue -- the OP said it was -- an iPad is the best bet, IMO.

Retreater

Legend
After having used a NookColor for a month, I can say that it beats all other dedicated ereaders hands down - particularly for gaming uses. I also work in a public library where part of my job is to use every ereader on the market - and the NookColor spanks each one of them.

eInk displays will not work well for gaming products. The display simply cannot reproduce the graphics required for most gaming books. That takes out ereaders such as the original Nook, Kindle, Kobo, etc.

I've been reading downloaded PDFs from sites such as Paizo, WotC, and Steve Jackson, and all are great. You can zoom or adjust the page to fit the screen. For my vision (which is pretty terrible compared to just about anybody), this is sufficient.

The NookColor's Internet access is WiFi only (no 3G model available as of now). Its is not compatible with Silverlight, which means that there's no WotC character builder and the compendium doesn't work. But for reading PDFs, it works great.

If you have any other ereader questions, let me know. (I've used about all of them.)

Retreater

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
After having used a NookColor for a month, I can say that it beats all other dedicated ereaders hands down - particularly for gaming uses. I also work in a public library where part of my job is to use every ereader on the market - and the NookColor spanks each one of them.

eInk displays will not work well for gaming products. The display simply cannot reproduce the graphics required for most gaming books. That takes out ereaders such as the original Nook, Kindle, Kobo, etc.

I've been reading downloaded PDFs from sites such as Paizo, WotC, and Steve Jackson, and all are great. You can zoom or adjust the page to fit the screen. For my vision (which is pretty terrible compared to just about anybody), this is sufficient.

The NookColor's Internet access is WiFi only (no 3G model available as of now). Its is not compatible with Silverlight, which means that there's no WotC character builder and the compendium doesn't work. But for reading PDFs, it works great.

If you have any other ereader questions, let me know. (I've used about all of them.)

Retreater

As part of your job did you do a write up on each one tried? If so, can you share that information, even if only in summary? Thanks in advance.

I will never buy an Apple product until they don't require the use of iTunes (i.e. never) but the iPad2 looks very interesting if rumours are correct. SD card (why no expandable media on the 1?!?!) and an unbelievably awesome 2048x1536 resolution! I mean my PCs is only 5760x1200 ;) That coupled with the iPads awesome crispness and viewing angles is very tempting.

Last edited:

Remove ads