Best E-Reader for gaming?

falcarrion

First Post
If an ereader doesn't have pinch and stretch for zoom it can't compare to the ipad.

Now for books the Ipad has an advantage. Some of the ereaders are limited to the type of books that can be read on it. Where as the Ipad has different apps for different types of books. There is the Ibook app that handles most epub books except those that have drm. It also handles pdfs. It has the kindle app so you can read kindle books. It has the Nook app to read Nook books. It has the Kobe app for there books.

Another advantage is the multi tasking ability. I can have a pdf in multiple apps and switch between them quite easy. And with what I have seen of the beta upgrade coming, it will be even easier.

The thing about a decent size electronic reader of any sort (e-ink, LCD etc) is that if it is big enough you never NEED to pinch and zoom, I don't on my EXO, whereas I do need to on my bosses iPad. the iPads 9.7 ionches is just a tiny tiny bit too small for me. 11 inches seems best, the only problem with the EXO is that it is 16:9 which is great for movies is not so great for A4.. wasted space above and below.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The thing about a decent size electronic reader of any sort (e-ink, LCD etc) is that if it is big enough you never NEED to pinch and zoom

As your eyes age, you may wish to re-evaluate this. While my Mom is not a gamer, one of the primary reasons she's getting an eReader of some kind is because she can't read standard text without significant eyestrain- and how well one zooms is going to be a major deciding factor in her purchase. If nothing else, she won't have to buy expensive hardcover large-print editions of things she intends to read & keep: a Bible, novels, etc.

She's in her mid-sixties. That may be me in twenty or so years. And you?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I have a Nook color. It is a great e-reader.

It is a marginal pdf reader right now. They have a crippled e-reader installed. That said, Barnes and Noble is supposedly releasing an update this month or next, that will enable Android 2.2. There is some discussion about how open this will be, or if you'll be to only get apps from the B&N store.

I read an entire Dragon (remember when they used to be compiled....) on my color Nook the other day. Since it is not formatted for an e-reader, there was some annoying sliding of the pdf back and forth required.

I'd guess a larger e-reader would be better for pdfs. However, a larger tablet/e-reader is not as good for reading books in e-reader format, as they are heavier.

For those that have not tried a tablet for more than an hour or two, I can assure you that they are the future. So much better than a laptop for using in your lap, on a couch, whatever. There will still be desktops and laptops, but the future is in tablets.

I can't wait for the Xoom and the iPad2 to come out, so I can get a bigger one for uses other than reading....

Tharian

First Post
I received a Nook (the original with wi-fi and 3G) for Christmas. I've been using it to look at the Ray Winninger essays from Dungeoncraft, but that has been what I've taken and converted to HTML and then used Calibre (as someone linked here already) to create an ePub version. That's been really easy to read and good for when I've got some time on my hands when not at home.

I just pushed a PDF file to it to see how that will work, but I suspect, as has been mentioned earlier, it will proof frustrating without a zoom controls and the like.

Keep in mind that the original Nook was not a color device. I, however, have really enjoyed having something that reminds me so much of a standard book page and really dig this thing.

YMMV.

I own a laptop, an iPad, and a Kindle (2nd generation). They all have their own strengths and weaknesses. If you want to do quick reference, need the ability to switch between multiple pdfs easily (especially when using them for character or mission design), or need a guarantee that all of your PDFs will be readable, the is no substitute for a laptop or netbook. If you want low cost, maximum portability (low size and weight, and amazing battery life), then you want a Kindle or Nook. However, you should be prepared for display issues with tables and graphics, and zooming/panning may be annoying.

An iPad will be a middle ground in both price a capability. Almost all PDFs will display properly, and zooming will be better than on a Kindle. But it won't match the Kindle's portability, and the touch screen interface is slower and more klunky for thing like typing, text selection, or going to bookmarks (the Kindle has a mini qwerty keyboard and directional input device). The screen is nice, but not full sized, so you'll still have to pan and zoom. The iPad is basically a big compromise between the other options.

caudor

Adventurer
I ended up ordering an Exopc from Microsoft's website. The combination of the extra large screen, Windows 7 app compatibility (plus flash and silverlight), and form factor made it my choice. The layer added on top (the connect-four look) for quick navigation is cool.

I have a small collection of Big Fish Games I can run on it. I'll also be able to watch movies (1080p), read my DDI without pinch and zoom, run character builder, and hopefully use the VTT when it is released.

Oh, and I got to have my Peggle too! :p

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I'm looking forward to seeing what the HP WebOS slate looks like when announced in Feb. As long as they are not too late to the party...

Remove ads