• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Best Rules for Automatic Weapons

TheEldereye

First Post
I'm looking for opinions on the best set of Automatic fire rules for D20. Which ones are the "best"? Anyone have the ultimate system they ported from an earlier RPG?

C. Baize

First Post
Not ported from an earlier RPG, but my autofire house rule goes like this.

The Reflex save DC for avoiding the autofire is set by the attacker.
It equals the modified attack roll.

Ymdar

Explorer
C. Baize said:

I gotta second this one. Ever since I heard about this one, it gave a big bang to my adventures. I only tweaked it a little though:
If a autofure hits the target area but the attack roll is lower than 15, the reflex save is still DC 15

TheEldereye

First Post
C. Baize said:

Does the attack have a limit to the area covered? Or a penalty? Say I want to autofire my gun at three enemies - do they have to be adjacent or with in a certain arc. I like the rule - simple, yet effective - just wondering about how you work it.

Psion

Adventurer
C. Baize said:

That doesn't fix the problem that full auto fire ignores armor. :confused:

As I mentioned in the other thread, I recommend either the Dragonstar take or the T20 take.

Dragonstar uses the "additional hit per 5 points", (better with feats), a pretty striaghtforward, simple to use, and getting more popular in third party games.

T20 is, as mentioned in the d20 modern 2.0 thread, one of my favorites. Depending on how many bullets you let loose, you get a bonus that can be used as a hit bonus, bonus damage dice. Alternately, if you spray, you cover an area, and make hit rolls, at a significant penalty, to hit everyone in the area. This works better because ARMOR COUNTS.

C. Baize

First Post
TheEldereye said:
Does the attack have a limit to the area covered? Or a penalty? Say I want to autofire my gun at three enemies - do they have to be adjacent or with in a certain arc. I like the rule - simple, yet effective - just wondering about how you work it.

Ah. Autofire still affects a 10x10 area.. either in a straight line (strafe 4 adjacent squares) or 2 squares X 2 squares.

C. Baize

First Post
Psion said:
That doesn't fix the problem that full auto fire ignores armor. :confused:

*shrug*

That's just one more argument for Armor as DR instead of Defense, as far as I'm concerned.

Honestly, though... it's just like any other area attack. Which is all it is... ballistic area attack.
Area attacks don't take armor into account at all, anyway.

Psion

Adventurer
C. Baize said:
Honestly, though... it's just like any other area attack. Which is all it is... ballistic area attack.
Area attacks don't take armor into account at all, anyway.

Area attacks don't usually take it into account because they are usually energy effects. At any rate, my problem isn't that the system isn't consistent with itself, but that the system isn't qualitatively consistent with reality. There is no good reason that auto fire shouldn't be defended against by armor.

C. Baize

First Post
Psion said:
Area attacks don't usually take it into account because they are usually energy effects. At any rate, my problem isn't that the system isn't consistent with itself, but that the system isn't qualitatively consistent with reality. There is no good reason that auto fire shouldn't be defended against by armor.

Agreed. Armor should be DR. ;)

Remove ads