Best simple purchase you've made

Bullgrit

Adventurer
My office is always cold. It's especially bad for me in the summer because outside is 90-100 degrees (32-37 Celsius), so a light short sleeve shirt is needed. But that makes me freeze in my office.

So a few weeks ago I bought a simple black zip-up hoodie sweater to keep in my office. Such a simple thing, really, for like $12, but it has so improved my comfort at work that I just now, sat here thinking, "Wow, this little thing has actually improved my life."

What is some simple thing you've purchased that has actually improved your life a notable amount?

Bullgrit

Janx

Hero
basic swiss army pocketknife of not too many blades
when I can find it (lost it recently), it has been the handy bottle/box opener, screw driver in a pinch tool. Not too big to carry in a pocket a man should always have a pocket knife.

6 usb slot power adapter.
Plug that baby into one outlet and you have a charging station for most every kind of usb thingy

Dioltach

Legend
My Leki Tip Butlers. It was always so annoying to find somewhere to put the rubber tips for my hiking poles where I wouldn't lose them but where they weren't uncomfortable.

Ryujin

Legend
Thirty metres of paracord. Been slowly using it up over the past few years as tool handle wraps, cheap and dirty bowstrings for home made PVC pipe archery bows, slings... you name it.

Also, maybe 25 years ago, I bought a shoulder of tooling leather. I made the archery quiver that I needed at the time and then every now and then I break it out again and cut a piece off for a project. I'll likely finally be using the last of it up as the soles of a pair of moccasins.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Those two items are pricelss in their usefullness. I bought a chunk of soft leather a long time ago, some needles and heavy nylon thread.

I use to have det cord i mean para cord too, but it got used up in a heavy duty sling to hold a ladder in place with 2 mt climbing rings. Not cheap, but it has saved me from harm from climbing ladders on windy days.

Ryujin

Legend
It was useful enough that I ordered, and yesterday received, another side of 4mm leather. It's suitable for boot soles or armour, and is a full millimetre thicker than the stuff that I already had. The original cost me CAN$40.00, including tax, 25 years ago. This piece cost me CAN$125.00 and was on sale. Whew! It's added to about 10 square feet of nice, soft pig suede that I've got for the moccasin uppers and various other thread, punches, needles, leather lacing.....

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Allstarted a while ago, but:

1) comfortable, high-quality shoes. If I detect ANY flaw in a shoe, no matter how minor, I don't buy it. My feet and back love me more than ever.

2) good cookware. Knives, pots, etc. I'll pay extra for quality if I have to. Good gear makes my time in the kitchen much more enjoyable.

3) insulated shopping bags. I have 2 big enough to hold pizzas, plus several more. Not only do I get a discount on my grocery bill, my foods don't vary in temperature as much on the way home, which means less chance of food-borne illness. If I want to I can even include chill packs... The bags also reduce the risk of spillage, and they're perfect for getting takeout.

Bonus: we use them instead of giftwrap or gift bags.

4) LED key chain with a button that does not require you hold it down for operation. They're tiny, lightweight, long lasting and can be kept on your person 24/7. I initially took one on a necklace on a 2005 trip to Russia. They were expecting bad weather. I figured if the power went out, I'd want a flashlight, with my hands free. It did come in handy a couple times. Since I got back, I have included putting one on every time we get severe weather here in Texas. Again, the power goes out, you at leas have some light that won't deprive you of a free hand.

5) space bags. I prefer the travel ones, again based on my Russian trip. When I travel, I put my laundry in them. That keeps the smell of pre-worn clothes from permeating your luggage. Heck, since they create a mostly anerobic environment, they greatly retard the laundry's smell from developing.

Bonus: coming home from the trip, the guards can see and inspect everything in mere seconds. Fastest. Customs. Inspections. EVAR.

Remove ads