Blasted ROLE-PLAYERS!!!

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Here's my deal, don't kill them not yet anyway. My advice, go evil, something EXTREMLY nasty, like True Necromancer, Crypt Lord, or something like that. THEN when they start bugging you, kill them AND then raise them back as CONTROLLED Undead. :) Thus you eliminate problem players AND gain the help of nice little minions. :) Revenge is a dish best served cold, so lots of undead work for me! :D

Part of being in a group is working well with the group. You are not the only one making sacrifices. Maybe the guy is an idiot, but hey only a moron picks pockets in front of the party paladin. Maybe you just need to work at adjusting to your group more. Every character has flaws, thats what makes a character interesting. It is their friends and allies who help them and cover those flaws. If thats not possible for you, move on.

Limper

First Post
Nightfall: Are you trying to tempt me to the darkside? Are you a fell muse, sent on sulphurous winds to whisper naughty things?
By the way killing and then raising DOES have a nice ring, heres a ROLE-PLAYING challenge for you: play a hobbit zombie! He he he....

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Only because Stupidity deserves to be undead. :) I mean SERIOUSLY, look at a recent movie. Sure guys like Imophtep(sp), from the Mummy, was powerful. But he was STUPID to think he could get away with murdering the Pharaoh AND THEN getting his girl back (who btw, wasn't THAT hot.) Then there's his return, does he give up, no, in fact he just decides to try HARDER at restoring her. Stupid fool. If you REALLY want to be evil and good at, try exemplifying guys like Rastilin, Iuz, or even Vecna. (Not sure about Iuz but since he's been around a while deserves his shot.)

Btw, does this world have any gods? If so are they homebrewed or are they from some other book?

Crothian

First Post
Okay, I take back my none PKing advice. Kill them and raise them as undead. Moral Imperative!! Gain power slowly and keep droping hints that you've got a plan that will bring power to them all. Forshadow the event with promises of like ability to shrug of criticals, disease, poisons, and other effects. Make them think your idea is for their benefit, then show them the real plan. :D

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Personally, I blame the DM, not the annoying player. A good DM will control the situation better. If the player insists on being annoying to the whole group, fine...next trap that player sets off kills just that players PC, and there is a 2 game waiting period until you can re-enter the game as a new PC. That's just one of a hundred ways to control this...having you kill the PC might work, but it seems like a fairly lame way to handle it. This will likely not change the player's behavior, just result in their making a new character and doing it again.

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
I guess the way I see it is thus:

1) You can join them. You can all kill each other.

Not a long term solution. Besides, you don't seem to be the type of person who wants to do this forever.

2) You can make a self-sufficient character. A cleric is the best for this.

A long term solution. Examples: stay away from everybody who is a loose cannon, let them go first, let them tank.

(Warning: Have an in-game reason why your character won't heal the party, go first, stick your neck out, etc... If you don't, the other players will get annoyed at you.)

3) The DM can fix the situation. Either by monitoring the personalities of the PCs before and during gameplay or by making TPWs rare.

A long term solution. This only works if you can communicate with the DM and offer both positive and negative criticism (and the DM can take it.)

4) You can leave the group.

A long term solution. But I am supposing that these are your friends.
I guess I would choose both #2 and #3.

#2 because a developed character alters gameplay enough that the other players may find your maturity rubbing off on them.

Also, if they all die, and your character survives, then your character now becomes the focus of attention for the campaign.

Milk this for all it's worth! A Cleric of St. Cuthbert is not going to "hire" a CN rogue halfling with a death wish (unless railroaded, but see the next point.)

#3 because a DM is supposed to understand their players and nip future problems in the bud before they get full-blown.
(Example: A player wants to play a CN cutpurse moneygrubber in a Heroic Good Kill-The-Bad-Guy campaign.)

But DMs are not perfect, and you seem to be able to communicate with this DM, so get to it! Get chummy with the DM!

From personal experience, most DMs will give XP for food...

Eben

First Post
Situations like this one seem to happen more often than not.
When a DM starts a campaign thet is ment to last long term, he should talk about his goals to the players: what kind of world wil this be, setting, mood,... Usually this increases the players involvement with the game world and helps them make up a balance between role-playing a character and long term survivablity of character/party/campaign/gaming group.
My gaming group started out in a somewhat free-for-all style. But we noticed that other groups who did this tended not to last too long, or managed it for a long while, but sooner or later exploded over issues like the one Limper experiences now.
Our style now is much more heavy on role-playing, but also on game balance. We don't create characters that are diametrically opposed (i.e. a nobel elf in an all dwarf party)
The funny thing is that by respecting game balance and system more we have become better role-players. IMHO.
If you role-play a charcter that has nothing to do with the rest of the party or hates their guts, you're not role-playing very wel: such a character would leave that party. (Unles forced, but that would be an interesting situation because that charcter would still have an obligation to the party.)

This is an important thing to do for a DM when he notices that such problems are arising. So I hope your DM is reading this and finds this worthwile advice. It really helped our group to continue to survive.

Voneth

First Post
Crothian said:

Personally, I'm amazed on when people say they can't find groups. I've been playing since '82 and I've never been without a group. I'm in a descent size city with a huge University, and many smaller colleges.

"I can't imagine why people say that can't make good in life, I've done well with my Daddy paying for college and a car." :)

Trying rasing up a group in a town that is 3 hours away from anything thing with a skyline -- in either direction. No such thing as suburbs in some places along the Bible Belt.

I spent like 10 years in a college town, I always had a group and I even stopped going to the college gaming club because I my gaming social life was overbooked.

Then I went to a tiny town of 9,000 people in the middle of no where and it was bad. real bad. The few gamers I could find made me a little embarassed to be in the hobby, if you know what I mean. And most of them had a very funky outlook on gaming. One guy thought that a Find Traps roll was a role playing experience. He left the group and never came back the day Diablo came out.

Limper: If you going to PK in this situation, may I suggest talking your DM into a house rule where Druids get to trade out spells for healing like clerics. Play balance tilts a little because the Druid is now fairly self suffcient. You now have heal spells on demand, you can meta magic your lower heal spells to fill in the "gaps" where you don't have a heal spell (Max on Goodberries buddy!). And you can get your own entrouge of animals to help use as a meat sheild (as long as your DM stays away from DR monsters). Another way to boost this enhanced Druids life span is by making him a Lizard man with armor.

The Lizardman thing may or may not backfire. You will need you DM to downplay that he is unusual race around other NPCs, but your party could use it as an excuse to treat him differently. Or your party could get into it since they seem to like odd combos on their characters.

I can also suggest taking on a Cleric, Paladin or some sort of very self-suffienent multi-class. Keep youself alive at all cost, despite the party's intent, let the DM throw you some campaign clues and suddenly you are party leader carrying the reasons why everyone is adventuring. Just don't let it go to your head.

Last edited:

Remove ads