• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Building a better Warlock

Paul Smart

Explorer
Hi, everyone.

Let's talk Warlocks. What works for them? What would you change and why? How can they be improved?

I would love to hear everyone's thoughts. Also, let's keep it civil.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
The only thing I changed (bearing in mind that I run a Primeval Thule campaign, which has a few warlock options not part of the core rules) was making warlocks more alchemy-focused and allowing them to use martial weapons of they chose (of the two warlocks I've had, one chose a sword and the other just stuck with a spear). Since warlocks are the only full casters I allow, I expanded their role a bit to fill in some areas normally occupied by wizards or clerics or druids.

I feel that warlocks are probably the most flavorful class in 5e, but as designed they are almost required to take and spam eldritch blast; I find that design choice insulting given the massive amount of potential the class should have. I'm working on a system incorporating the charms in the Dungeon Master's Guide, allowing warlocks to create those as one use tokens. I already worked out a rudimentary elixir creation system for them.

That whole pact slot thing is really weird, and it doesn't play well with the multiclass rules at all. I would either switch them over to regular spell slots, but keep them with a restricted spell list, or remove their slots entirely and go back to being at-will.

mellored

Legend
Warlocks are pretty good as is. But they need at least one more invocation.

Eldrich Claws
Prerequisite: Eldrich Blast
If you cast eldrich blast at a creature within 5' of you, you do not suffer disadvantage and increase the damage die to 1d12.

Beyond that, it would be nice if there was some mechanic to tempt you into being "evil", or doing whatever it was your patron wanted.

Warlock of Slaughter:
If you kill a humanoid creature whose CR is less than half of your warlock level, you regain X hit points. (hey look, some kobold children...)

Warlock of Fire:
If you set something on fire, you gain X THP at the end of each of your turns for as long as it burns. Larger things give you more THP. (this is a nice forest....)

Warlock of Deception:
Each time you succeed in a deception check, you gain... (why would I lie to you?)

ccs

41st lv DM
I'm pretty OK with the Warlock as-is.

If I were going to change anything I think I'd:

1) Add a spell slot or two. I think I'd restrict them to being used only for the expanded spell list each patron gives. Afterall, I want you to be casting things that reflect the flavor of warlock you chose.

2) I'd definitely change those invocations where you can cast x spell once per long rest to not using a spell slot to do it.

Racing Breca

Villager
2) I'd definitely change those invocations where you can cast x spell once per long rest to not using a spell slot to do it.

I agree with this completely.
Almost by default, all of those options are off the table for me. YMMV.
The class is really fun thematically. I am really looking forward to taking my Warlock into deeper levels and exploring the class beyond 2-3 level dips.

Alexemplar

First Post
I feel that warlocks are probably the most flavorful class in 5e, but as designed they are almost required to take and spam eldritch blast; I find that design choice insulting given the massive amount of potential the class should have...

I still don't understand how people can get this impression from the Warlock and not from the other classes that lack full spellcasting progression. All of them spend most of their time in combat just wailing away with a ranged or melee weapon while pulling off a limited number of tricks.

Last edited:

Remove ads