D&D 5E Can the Bard out-Ranger a Ranger?

CapnZapp

Legend
The melee ranger is crap at combat. No fightery goodness, and Hunter's Mark breaks when you take damage (not to mention is incompatible with two weapon fighting, which in itself can only compete in the single-digit levels).

Except for their level 11 ability, ranger features are generally weaksauce you should have gotten at half the level.

A ranged ranger is better, but it's still hard to pass up Action Surge.

Let's hope for a future Hunter with a combat pet. That'd be overpowered perhaps, but for us that want it, it'd be way cool!

Kithas

First Post
No, it's a 5' radius, it can hit 4 people. It's a decent aoe and can provide crowd control.
If you center a 5' radius in 4 squaeres that's only covering 1/4 of each square. As as a player or a dm i wouldnt expect something barely in my square to hit me. Creatures occupy a 5' area, they do not fill that enitre area. Look at the squeezing rules for example.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Or... and bear with me on this, you could look at the section of the rules that covers this.
A 5ft radius encompasses 4 squares.

Kithas

First Post
Or... and bear with me on this, you could look at the section of the rules that covers this.
A 5ft radius encompasses 4 squares.
I think I was envisioning a 5' diameter. My bad. Moonbeam does get much better with that in mind. It's still not as good as conjure barrage, hail of thorns, whirlwind attack, or lightning arrow.

As a side note youve gotten a lot more snarky and condescending lately yun. I dant appreciate it and I've observed that others dont either.

Last edited:

LightningArrow

First Post
Saying rangers are kinda meh makes more sense than saying melee ones are better than the ranged ones. Many of the ranger's best spells are meant for ranged weapons, and Volley is a lot better than Whirlwind Attack.

zaratan

First Post
ranged ranger 17/BM 3

horder breaker, volley, swift quiver, sharpshooter, combat superiority, action surge.

Yes, fighter are better agaist single target but you can burn the boss and the minions at the same time.

melee ranger sucks.

Remove ads