CB's City of the Spider Queen v3.5 OOC

To my very great joy and delight, this afternoon when I came home from dropping my husband off for a summer-long deployment overseas, I discovered that my computer seems to have eaten not only all the text in ALL my .txt and .doc files, but also all of the data saved for my maps.

...to include my ENTIRE homebrew setting, its pantheon, history, characters, calendar, notes, keep designs, some of my personal records for other family stuff, and five f-'n years' worth of digital pictures of our children.

I have some of my unrevised homebrew setting stashed on diskette. The rest is gone. I'll be re-downloading our RG, IC, and OOC information over the course of today. Since I have no idea what's happened to my data, I advise all of you to please take extra caution when communicating with me via e-mail. My computer is set up to do a complete virus scan every night at 3 am, and I haven't seen anything wrong to date but that certainly doesn't mean that the bloody machine isn't infected with something particularly tricky or nasty.

I've gone ahead and posted in the IC.

Eydis

First Post
Hey CB, did you try to do a system restore? It might work if you go back to a day that you know that it was all there. Worth a shot.
Anyway, would Zarra know anything about spider sickness? (Knowledge is +3, +5 for nature check, +8 for Underdark)

When I installed XP over Win 98 on my machine last year, XP didn't like the Gateway GoBack feature that came with our original setup so I had to delete it. I suspect that if it was a virus of some sort that ate all the content from my Desktop files, that resetting the computer to late last week might or might not give me back my data but it wouldn't do anything to rid the machine of the infection. Since going back isn't an option anymore anyway, I figure I'll just suck it up and drive on. :)

Regarding Hael's wound and the "spider sickness," a heal check would work. If you want to have Zarra examine the wound, go ahead and post such in the IC. Hael might elect to refuse so I won't steal that option from him ahead of time. Knowledge (nature) would work not to identify what's wrong with the bite but would possibly give Zarra some understanding of the spiders' capabilities, which may prove equally valuable. I can roll that now, since no examination is required...nix...rolled a 2. Sorry. The red-striped spiders were an interesting breed, though. Not one seen before by Zarra or the others.

Voadam

Legend
I didn't see any carrying capacity for dire bats and I'm not entirely sure what it should be.

They are size large with a 17 str, not sure if they qualify as quadrupeds (when on the ground they crawl on all fours).

It's given in the 3.5 DMG under unusual mounts, pg 205. There are several dire-type or other flying creautres with a strength of either 17 or 18 and they all have a carrying capacity of 200 with 300 lbs as the upper limit for the Str 18 creatures. While large, flying things can't usually carry as much weight as a creature with a similar strength who walks on land. I don't have a problem at all with the dire bat carrying Hael (who may well outweigh 200 lbs when body weight and gear are factored in), but carrying more than Hael and his gear isn't possible for more than a few feet. Wanting to deal with this gracefully, I've given an IC description of the bat getting fatigued from having carried Hael and Zarra for over an hour.

And, again, if you find something explicit that will allow the bat to carry more than 200 lbs, I'm willing to work with you.

Voadam

Legend
No problem CB. Like I said, I couldn't find any rule reference myself one way or the other in the srd so I provided here what I could find that seemed related.

When I invited Zarra up I remembered the 15 foot wing span and size large and didn't even think about carrying capacity specifics figuring it was a non-issue. In looking over the dire bat entry the fact that it is only 200 pounds itself makes a limit of one rider more than reasonable.

G

Guest 11456

CanadienneBacon said:
Game closed. E-mail sent to players.

I saw that you started your other one back up. I was checking on the possibility of this one starting back up?

Thanks for thinking to ask, but at this time, no, I'm not considering re-starting City of the Spider Queen. It'd be more than I could chew at this point, what with a new baby and all the trappings of family life.

Scotley

Hero
Hey CB, glad to see you back! If in the future you decide to start up this one, Lyssa is still available. Congrats on the new baby. Hope mother and child are well.

Remove ads