• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

CB's City of the Spider Queen v3.5 OOC

Yup, that's correct.

The only issue I truly foresee there is that Hael has a base speed of 20. Taking longer to forage along the way may increase the number of encounters the party is visited by. But, still, you won't starve. You might die a horrible death at the end of a beholder eyestalk, but you won't starve. :D

Watus

First Post
If push comes to shove, K'yorl can keep the party from starving. She would undoubtedly be somewhat reluctant to do so - Create Food and Water is a 3rd level spell, after all - but if it would significantly increase the rate of travel, she would undoubtedly be amenable to reason.

Mellubb said:
What does Alex know about Drow/Drider relations. INT +2.

Not a darn thing. Sorry, bad roll, and not really much in the character background to support knowing either.

All-- You're going to need a battlemap of some sort for the combat and I will get it up today. Right now, however, I have something unavoidable that's going to pull me out of the house for a couple of hours this morning. I'll have to do up the map when I get home later today.

Voadam

Legend
CanadienneBacon said:
Yup, that's correct.

The only issue I truly foresee there is that Hael has a base speed of 20. Taking longer to forage along the way may increase the number of encounters the party is visited by. But, still, you won't starve. You might die a horrible death at the end of a beholder eyestalk, but you won't starve. :D

Beholders are good eating. Crunchy on the outside, squishy on the inside. I think I scrounge one up on a DC 22 check. ;)

Can he forage while mounted and use half of his bat's speed?

Eydis

First Post
kinem said:
Does Prixo notice any of the whispering about driders?

CB, about the Quiver: It doesn't make any sense to me that it would matter whether an item is an arrow, a pen, a javelin, a pebble, or whatever. The compartments should simply be long and narrow, and bigger on the inside than on the outside.

While the rules you listed would allow Prixo to carry what he wanted to, I do not want to deal with those rules. What I propose is either

1) Give me a quote on how much a Quiver that works the way I think it should would cost, and allow me to trade in some other gear in order to pay for it; or

2) Allow me to sell the Quiver for the 1800 gp it cost and be rid of it altogether. Preferably I could purchase or upgrade other magic items in its place.

Seriously guy,
The item you want is a Heward's Handy Havarsack. It holds more and is not outrageously priced. I don't at all see your point. Unless you know something I don't, I would be willing to bet Dollars to Dinars that CB's real name is neither Monte Cook, Skip Williams, nor Jonathan Tweet and therefore did not contribute to the information published in the DMG. You are completely ruining the flavor of the extraordinary magic item that is the Quiver of Ehlonna. I am not trying to be rude but, for 1800 gp you get the QoE for 200 gp more you get the HHH. As a DM it would be irresponsible for CB to completely change the item just for you. I don't see why a silver spiked chain does 1 less point of damage than a regular one, but I did not argue. I simply sighed and took the -1 to damage because the DMG said to. I don't mean to start a fire, but I think you need to suck it up and drive on.

kinem

Adventurer
CB: I will edit my character in the RG, posting a retooled version. If I want to carry a number of nonmagical quivers with a different type of arrow in each, will that be OK? What is the limit to the number of quivers that I could use at once? Could I bundle up reserve quivers for storage in a bag?

Voadam: Sympathetic magic is a far better explanation than "the DMG only mentions arrows", but it still doesn't make sense, especially the strange mechanic CB came up with where if even a pebble happens to fall into an empty quiver, it will not be possible to put any intact arrows into that compartment. Or, if an arrow head falls off inside, suddenly it is not an arrow and all remaining arrows are ejected out of the quiver, 'cause she doesn't allow mixing. No wizard would intend an item he creates for his fighter buddy to work that way. Besides, while I enjoy fantasy, I guess I consider it a subgenre of sci-fi and want a bit of logic in there.

Mellubb: I am well aware of the HHH (and thoroughly familiar with all core rules items), and likely will trade in for one, but it is not really what I wanted. I wanted a normal QoE that works the way it should work, the way I always interpreted it, with the otherwise useless larger compartments available for storing other items of small width, and no BS about the exact wording in the DMG not mentioning other items - the books are poorly written and everyone should realize that by now. I did NOT request a changed version of the Quiver, just a normal one! CB completely changed the item from what it should be and what I thought it was when I purchased it, so I no longer want it. The changes she made don't make sense and therefore ruin the flavor of a simulated world that our PCs can move about in and interact with.

Mellubb, while I have stated my views here, I have not argued with her decision. I don't like the call, but it's her call, and that's that. I did NOT say to her "No, you can't do that". I do not contest the fact that in her game, that's the way the QoE works. All I did is trade it in since I wouldn't buy an item like that. I already said that I would 'drive on' by trading it in, and if you've read the OOC before posting, you already knew that before telling me to.

And, Mellubb - I don't like your attitude. You said you were not trying to be rude, and that is probably true, but you sure weren't trying not to be rude. You acted like some kind of know-it-all, and quite unjustifiably.

Last edited:

kinem, you may benefit from knowing that though those words appear in Eydis's post, they aren't hers. That's Mellubb posting--I assume he forgot that Eydis was logged on during his lunch break today.

While I definitely do not concur that a QoE is intended to hold anything other than, as Voadam stated, items the general size and shape of arrows, javelins, bows, spears, or staffs, I was willing to re-tool the Quiver to meet what you described as your needs. Your ideas about the mechanics of this game appear to be VERY different than mine. You took issue with the PHB rule that the first set of clothing costs nothing and has no weight. I changed the rule to keep you content, despite it adversely affecting the encumbrance of several PCs. You have taken issue with the DMG description and my interpretation of how a Quiver should function. I changed the Quiver to more closely match your desire for how it should work. You then promptly didn't like what I offered and wanted to ditch it. I said okay, swap it. I don't think Mellubb was very diplomatic in his word choice and therefore can't agree with his sentiment as expressed in this thread, but I also don't like players who push.

I'm done messing with mechanics to please players only to have players declare that my ideas are unsuitable. I offer you an olive branch, kinem. I declared before this game started, during recruitment, that I was basically a core-rules only sort of DM. If my DMing style isn't to your liking, I understand and you're welcome to leave. You're also welcome to stay. Prixo is an excellent character and I have looked forward to reading your posts for him. If you elect to continue on with this game, it seems that you may need to prepare yourself for future DM rulings that aren't to your taste. If you feel you're able to ask a question, and perhaps in your case it might be better done via e-mail, without pushing me to see your point of view then, again, stay on with this campaign and let's all have a good time.

We can hereby ditch the mechanic I gave out on Monday the 22nd with regard to a QoE. The Quiver will function for arrows, javelins, spears, staffs, and bows (and, as the DMG says, any other similar ranged weapon items).

Anything more on this particular subject should please be addressed to me via e-mail.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads