• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Character Creation

NuclearWookiee

First Post
No problem. I'd actually probably still use the halberd anyway. To be honest, I'm not sure I can afford to put a 15 in dex for two weapon fighting anyway, so a sturdy 2-hander might be nice. It could either be halberd or the greatsword and switch deities.

The_Universe

First Post
NuclearWookiee said:
No problem. I'd actually probably still use the halberd anyway. To be honest, I'm not sure I can afford to put a 15 in dex for two weapon fighting anyway, so a sturdy 2-hander might be nice. It could either be halberd or the greatsword and switch deities.
Well, I'd say that Aryal's weapon could probably be either 1) Swords (short-, long-, bastard-, great-), the Halberd, or the Glaive. Your call. Whatever you pick will be "the weapon"

Although it costs a feat to use in 1 hand, Bastard Sword would let you use a shield now and again.

Do you want our characters to have connections to each other? Should we try to be connected (pre-adventuring) to at least one other PC the way we were in the Modern game?

The_Universe

First Post
Queen_Dopplepopolis said:
Do you want our characters to have connections to each other? Should we try to be connected (pre-adventuring) to at least one other PC the way we were in the Modern game?
That would definitely be helpful; however, those connections do not necessarily need to be "current" when the game begins. Childhood encounters, or something, would certainly be acceptable.

The_Universe

First Post
NuclearWookiee said:
I found (one of) the feats that lets you use a Polearm against foes in an adjacent square.

PHBII said:
Short Haft

You have trained in polearm fighting alongside comrades in arms, sometimes reaching past them as they shield you, and sometimes shielding them while they attack from behind you.

Prerequisites: Proficiency with reach weapon, Weapon Focus with reach weapon, base attack bonus +3

Benefit: As a swift action (like a free action, but only useable once per turn) you can choose to lose the benefit of wielding any reach weapon other than a spiked chain or a whip. In return, you can use that weapon to threaten and attack spaces adjacent to you. With another swift action, you can give up this feat's benefit in order to regain the use of your weapon's superior reach.

I believe there's another feat out there that let you use a polearm as a double weapon (I think it's in the dragon compendium), but I thought this might be helpful fo your purposes.

NuclearWookiee

First Post
Okay, so if I'm interpreting this correctly... basically this feat allows you to, once per round, "toggle" your polearm from a reach weapon to a normal weapon.

Unless the feat in the Dragon Compendium is really cool, I think I've about decided on bastard sword. I'm going to spend the feat to be able to use it one-handed. With a low dex score I think I'll need the shield most of the time. And if I ever need to "swing for the fence" I still have a nice two-hander in the bastard sword also. :)

Out of curiousity... do you recall the attack penalty given through use of the monkey grip feat?

The_Universe

First Post
NuclearWookiee said:
Okay, so if I'm interpreting this correctly... basically this feat allows you to, once per round, "toggle" your polearm from a reach weapon to a normal weapon.

Unless the feat in the Dragon Compendium is really cool, I think I've about decided on bastard sword. I'm going to spend the feat to be able to use it one-handed. With a low dex score I think I'll need the shield most of the time. And if I ever need to "swing for the fence" I still have a nice two-hander in the bastard sword also. :)

Out of curiousity... do you recall the attack penalty given through use of the monkey grip feat?
Then swords it is. The Bastard Sword is a fine choice, and, with the feat granting you the exotic weapon proficiency, you'll be able to use it one-handed at no penalty.

Monkey Grip has changed slightly since its original printing, since the weapon sizing rules have changed. For example, it would allows you to use a "Large Longsword" in one hand at a -2 penalty, but would not allow you to wield a greatsword in one hand at all (not that the distinction really matters, since the damage is the same). The feat specifically notes that it does not allow you to wield medium-size or larger weapons in your off-hand, but I am relatively certain that do that in the Complete Adventurer.

The_Universe

First Post
NuclearWookiee said:
I seem to remember a feat that lets you add 2x str bonus when using a 2hand weapon instead of 1.5x str bonus... does that sound familiar at all?
Not really, but it may be in one of the "complete" books. I'm not overly familiar with all the feats that they've made available, but it could certainly appear in Complete Warrior, or something.

I can say with some certainty, however, that it is not in the PHB. :)

Remove ads