• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

'Community' to have a Dungeons & Dragons episode

Insight

Adventurer
I don't normally watch Community, but that was a pretty funny episode.

*MINOR SPOILER*
I'm kinda curious why the DM rolled all the dice. I've been gaming for 20+ years and never had a DM do that. In fact, most of the people I've gamed with would walk out of a game if the DM insisted on rolling all the dice.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've seen that done when the DM has a boatload if inexperienced players...as Abed did. Add to this that the game was set up as an intervention and not a normal game and you have even more reasons why Abed did all the rolling.

darjr

I crit!
My family was rolling as well. All of them having been players and/or GM's at one point or another they really got the references. Very cool.

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
Best. D&D. Themed. TV. Episode. Evar!

Sure not everything was "correct" but damn it caught the whole crazy fun with your friends at the table perfectly.

Two Thumbs Up for "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons" the episode on Community.

The wife and I were very amused.

There is an interview with the writer of this episode on the Wizards website:
Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page - Article (NBC Community Interview)

If you missed it, it should be up on hulu.com in a day or so.

Enjoy,

nerfherder

Explorer
Best. D&D. Themed. TV. Episode. Evar!
If you liked that, I think you'd enjoy The IT Crowd, Season 4, Episode 1 -

The IT Crowd - Series 4 - Episode 1 - Jen the Fredo - Channel 4

And yes, I did buy the Special Edition box set with RPG included :)

16101752.jpg

Last edited:

Stumblewyk

Adventurer
I've seen that done when the DM has a boatload if inexperienced players...as Abed did. Add to this that the game was set up as an intervention and not a normal game and you have even more reasons why Abed did all the rolling.
It also prevented them from needlessly filming Jeff, Troy, Britta, et al, from continually asking "Does a 14 hit?", and then Abed responding with something like a frustrated "Did you add in the bonus from your +2 Hammer of Flondnir?" ;)

Merkuri

Explorer
It also prevented them from needlessly filming Jeff, Troy, Britta, et al, from continually asking "Does a 14 hit?", and then Abed responding with something like a frustrated "Did you add in the bonus from your +2 Hammer of Flondnir?" ;)

Yeah, my guess was it just made things easier to film only one person with dice. Plus it really helped set up Abed's role for those not familiar with the idea of RPGs. Everyone else says, "I do this!" and Abed rolls and says, "yes it worked," or, "no it didn't."

Edit to avoid two posts in a row: I wondered why they went with AD&D material instead of modern stuff. Was that just to make the "I won D&D, and it was Advanced!" line?

Remove ads